PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kingsley

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2020
PA
Wow, what a loss. Prince Albert started off my pipe smoking journey just about 4 years ago, and was a blend I really enjoyed, but never thought to cellar. Just always thought anything would be discontinued and gone before PA, always thought that even if I had nought but a crummy head-shop and a few crumpled dollar bills that I’d still be able to have a worthwhile smoke. Honestly rough stuff, man, rough stuff.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Wow, what a loss. Prince Albert started off my pipe smoking journey just about 4 years ago, and was a blend I really enjoyed, but never thought to cellar. Just always thought anything would be discontinued and gone before PA, always thought that even if I had nought but a crummy head-shop and a few crumpled dollar bills that I’d still be able to have a worthwhile smoke. Honestly rough stuff, man, rough stuff.
I am sure the sales of that one have dropped dramatically. Even when I was a youngster most of the people smoking Prince Albert seemed to be retired. And even the younger people that smoked it didn't smoke it the same way. As in it was part of a rotation something they'd get some of the time not what they smoked. That in my early pipe career seemed like one of the biggest difference between old and young pipe smokers. Even back then the youngsters didn't pick a blend and just smoke that. But almost all of the older pipe smokers picked a brand. They'd smoke 1Q or Carter Hall or Prince Albert or something else. Of course there where exceptions but they stood out like a sore thumb. The choice that leaves them with is increase the price or cull the brand. Heck even here you can see that there aren't many people that just smoke Prince Albert notice there are some that mainly smoke Carter Hall. It's probably just not worth it to keep making it. Classic doesn't mean anything if the sales are dropping.

Reactions: smknron and edger

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
You can scratch that codger itch with many of Cornell and Diehl blends. Far better leaf as well. Maybe we will be creating the next generations pleasant sense memories. The torch has passed, perhaps.
often times the classics have to deal with perception the perception that it's for old guys. I think a lot of pipe smokers that aren't the kind that go on forums don't see the old blends as for them. Additionally the old blends have a customer base they can't afford to lose but that base is dwindling if they change anything it is a gamble that doesn't seem worth while.

Reactions: smknron and edger

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
Yes I'm one of those Old Codgers who has smoked Prince Albert on a daily basis for over 50 years. If Middleton has decided to discontinue its production of PA then so be it. Nothing I can do about it. I'll just move on and buy more C&D Pegasus. I was going to buy 2 tubs of it today but decided that I've got enough tobacco to last be until the end of my days.

Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
The only codger blend I've tried is Carter hall. I like it for what it is. Straight forward no nonsense tobacco flavor. Haven't tried pa all because of one guy who told me it made his mustach smell like ammonia ? Definitely not interested in that sort of side effect.

Last edited:
Reactions: edger

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
I emailed Altria about the possible discontinuation. I didn't answer the 1 800 number they called back on today. A lady with a southern accent left a message to call them. I did call back on the number they left. But it was not the lady who left the message. Anyway, they are not showing that Prince Albert is discontinued. Only the 7oz cans, and the 14oz cans in California. It should be available still otherwise.

fightnhampster

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 14, 2019
Indiana
And I was going to order a pouch of PA and Velvet. Better get a life time supply of CH and SWR. One tub of each would do.

I think the link above from Milan Tobaconist mentioned that they were getting rid of everything BUT Carter Hall.

Then again, if you had told me a year ago, or even six months ago, that Prince Albert would no longer be in production I would have had a difficult time believing you.

I'm pretty sure the match Blends will still be made by other companies like pipes and cigars

Reactions: canucklehead
Status
Not open for further replies.