PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moonbog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 22, 2020
I have a big tub of PA and find that the OP is largely right---bland as hell. I approach Prince Albert as if it were the Tofu of pipe tobaccos. It has very little flavor or character, but burns great. So yeah, I blend it.

Why?

Because there are several tobaccos I have liked that have great flavor profiles, but burn kinda wonky. I ad like a pinch or two of PA to the bowl and it just makes it burn great and the flavor of the dominant tobacco comes through nicely.

On it's own, it can be a great change of pace.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
I have some PA nostalgia because that's what my uncle smokes. Go visit him at his cabin. He's got a million beat-up pipes and you smoke PA because that's all there is. At the same time you get to sit in a rocking chair by the fireplace and have great conversations about life. Believe me, you can do worse.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Back in the days all these U.S Codger blends were highly sought after and well respected here where I live and, even today a 1,75oz pouch of Half&Half in Germany cost 10$ and in Finland 22e per pouch which per se does not necessarily mean its a great tobacco but many so called seasoned pipe smokers seem still liking it,
Budweiser is also popular right?

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
I don't hate PA, especially when compared to other Codger burleys. It's nowhere near as good as SWR(a), and I believe all the folks that say Granger is in another league as well, but I'd take PA over Carter Hall, CB, Half&Half, Paladin, Borkum Riff, or anything else at the grocery store(I haven't tried Velvet so can't compare), and place it as equal to Lane Ready Rubbed.
It is a bit cigaretty, but that's part of its charm. Definitely best to leave the pouch open (wide ass open) for a week or 3 to let the pg escape if it's not from a tub.
I get random cravings for PA on the hottest days of summer. It reminds me of being at a baseball game for some reason... good lawn mowin' grillin' out tractor drivin' haybailin' etc, etc. type smoke. If I didn't have the allergic aversion to white burley that I appear to have, I'd smoke it way more often.

--dante--

Lifer
Jun 11, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA USA
I don't hate PA, especially when compared to other Codger burleys. It's nowhere near as good as SWR(a), and I believe all the folks that say Granger is in another league as well, but I'd take PA over Carter Hall, CB, Half&Half, Paladin, Borkum Riff, or anything else at the grocery store(I haven't tried Velvet so can't compare), and place it as equal to Lane Ready Rubbed.
It is a bit cigaretty, but that's part of its charm. Definitely best to leave the pouch open (wide ass open) for a week or 3 to let the pg escape if it's not from a tub.
I get random cravings for PA on the hottest days of summer. It reminds me of being at a baseball game for some reason... good lawn mowin' grillin' out tractor drivin' haybailin' etc, etc. type smoke. If I didn't have the allergic aversion to white burley that I appear to have, I'd smoke it way more often.
Count me in the Granger camp. I bought some Briar Fox to try to fill that niche (easy, simple tobaccos you can jam into a cob, light and go), but I'm still preferring Granger over it.

Reactions: BROBS and rushx9
Status
Not open for further replies.