PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
Philadelphia Suburbs, Pennsylvania
Well, this is most unsettling.

IF it turns out that Middleton has indeed already given the ax to these beloved codger-standards, and has chosen as a strategy to simply and quietly let the available supply dry up behind their loyal customers backs, purposefully, and without notice - and, while actively feigning ignorance while denying the reality of their plans to inquiring customers - that would send a very wrong, very strong, and, very telling message about what real value and loyalty they extend - or fail to extend - to us as consumers.

The only good news here is that nothing has been 100% confirmed either way by Middleton/ Altria/ Philip Morris ; at this point in time.

Our friend, @shaneireland , has promised to do a bit of digging and report back to the forum, what, if anything, concrete he can learn about Middleton's intentions.

I intend to hold-fast and resevre judgement until he might bring forth some light; or, if and when Middleton/ Altria/ Philip Morris releases an official statement on the matter.

Unfortunately, and in the meantime, this leaves all of us completely in the dark with a mystery on our hands as to the disposition and future of these blends.

I, for one, do not like mysteries, nor being purposefully kept in the dark by peddlers/merchants - if that turns out to be the case in point-of-fact with Midddleton - and, I have most certainly had a bellyful of this Middleton Mystery already - which I do not appreciate.

Furthermore, if it does indeed turn out to be a repeat of the situation our esteemed forum-fellow, @jiminks , has described to us above - as to how Middleton handled their customers with regard to the discontinuation of Walnut, Sugar Barrel, et al. - it will take a great deal of restraint on my part, not to let the stream of cursings spew forth in such voluminous waves, that everyone of you will likely hit the Report Button in panicked response.

Again, unfortunately, we are left in the uncomfortable position of trying to know, while not knowing for certain, and resisting speculation and conclusion. - Sherm Natman

Road To Pines

Might Stick Around
Sep 2, 2020
Ontario, Canada
Well, this is most unsettling.

IF it turns out that Middleton has indeed already given the ax to these beloved codger-standards, and has chosen as a strategy to simply and quietly let the available supply dry up behind their loyal customers backs, purposefully, and without notice - and, while actively feigning ignorance while denying the reality of their plans to inquiring customers - that would send a very wrong, very strong, and, very telling message about what real value and loyalty they extend - or fail to extend - to us as consumers.

The only good news here is that nothing has been 100% confirmed either way by Middleton/ Altria/ Philip Morris ; at this point in time.

Our friend, @shaneireland , has promised to do a bit of digging and report back to the forum, what, if anything, concrete he can learn about Middleton's intentions.

I intend to hold-fast and resevre judgement until he might bring forth some light; or, if and when Middleton/ Altria/ Philip Morris releases an official statement on the matter.

Unfortunately, and in the meantime, this leaves all of us completely in the dark with a mystery on our hands as to the disposition and future of these blends.

I, for one, do not like mysteries, nor being purposefully kept in the dark by peddlers/merchants - if that turns out to be the case in point-of-fact with Midddleton - and, I have most certainly had a bellyful of this Middleton Mystery already - which I do not appreciate.

Furthermore, if it does indeed turn out to be a repeat of the situation our esteemed forum-fellow, @jiminks , has described to us above - as to how Middleton handled their customers with regard to the discontinuation of Walnut, Sugar Barrel, et al. - it will take a great deal of restraint on my part, not to let the stream of cursings spew forth in such voluminous waves, that everyone of you will likely hit the Report Button in panicked response.

Again, unfortunately, we are left in the uncomfortable position of trying to know, while not knowing for certain, and resisting speculation and conclusion. - Sherm Natman
In light of this warning, your wide-eyed avatar takes on a manic demeanor.

? "Demons run when a good man goes to war."

gerryp

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 8, 2018
Arabi, LA
If you guys like Prince Albert, you should try Haunted Bookshop.

Btw, what's all this about "real men" carrying a pocket hankey? Do you guys mean the kind that must be color coordinated so that it doesn't clash with the boutonniere your prom date gave you, or the one that matches the band on the straw hat that you wear with your seersucker suit? Or, is it the kind my grandfather would blow a huge snot-rocket into and stuff in the same packet as his car keys?
A real man grabs the closest paper-like object, preferably not an important document unless you're expressing disdain for said document, e.g. divorce settlement, speed camera ticket, etc. ?

Reactions: BROBS

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
So whats a close substitute for PA?

I found a "MATCH" PA, but it is on back order...
No offense to the above poster, but Haunted Bookshop is nothing like PA. There is no real substitute for PA. The Match is the closest there is, and it's only so close.

If you want a few ideas for other burley blends, one of which are like PA, but may scratch the burley itch, here ya go: Mac Baren Burley Flake, Sir Walter Raleigh, Solani Aged Burley Flake, Amphora Burley, Watch City Original Crumb Cut, Ken Byron Burley Morning Pipe, H&H Classic Burley Kake, Uhle's Perfection Plug Burley, Uhle's 00, Uhle's 300, Granger, 4Noggins John Patton's Moe's Confetti, H&H Old Companion, Angler's Dream, H&H Mid-Town Chatham Manor.

I have reviewed all of these at Tobacco Reviews if you care to check them out. Best of luck, man.

gerryp

Oct 8, 2018
Arabi, LA
No offense to the above poster, but Haunted Bookshop is nothing like PA. There is no real substitute for PA. The Match is the closest there is, and it's only so close.

If you want a few ideas for other burley blends, one of which are like PA, but may scratch the burley itch, here ya go: Mac Baren Burley Flake, Sir Walter Raleigh, Solani Aged Burley Flake, Amphora Burley, Watch City Original Crumb Cut, Ken Byron Burley Morning Pipe, H&H Classic Burley Kake, Uhle's Perfection Plug Burley, Uhle's 00, Uhle's 300, Granger, 4Noggins John Patton's Moe's Confetti, H&H Old Companion, Angler's Dream, H&H Mid-Town Chatham Manor.

I have reviewed all of these at Tobacco Reviews if you care to check them out. Best of luck, man.
I think I referred to Haunted Bookshop as an amped-up version of Prince Albert in my review. I stand by that. I do, however, understand the nostalgia factor for those who enjoy a blend that I find rather bland. I did not say PA was the same as Haunted Bookshop, or even a "Match" style substitute.
No offense taken.

Last edited:
Reactions: anotherbob

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I think I referred to Haunted Bookshop as an amped-up version of Prince Albert in my review. I stand by that. I do, however, understand the nostalgia factor for those who enjoy a blend that I find rather bland. I did not say PA was the same as Haunted Bookshop, or even a "Match" style substitute.
No offense taken.
HB has an entirely different profile than PA, which sets it in a different genre. An "amped up" version of PA to me would be a stronger blend in the same family, meaning primarily burley and Virginia cavendish. HB is more complicated than that. I understand your point of view, and I can't quite say it's wrong as your definition varies from mine in a case like this. That's why I recommended blends closer to the PA genre, even though I forgot to mention a few Peretti mixtures.

Of course, saying "I don't like PA and I'll amp it up with perique" is a valid definition of the term, and that would be similar to your way of thinking. I just think in this particular case, the OP was looking for something much more similar to PA.

gerryp

Oct 8, 2018
Arabi, LA
HB has an entirely different profile than PA, which sets it in a different genre. An "amped up" version of PA to me would be a stronger blend in the same family, meaning primarily burley and Virginia cavendish. HB is more complicated than that. I understand your point of view, and I can't quite say it's wrong as your definition varies from mine in a case like this. That's why I recommended blends closer to the PA genre, even though I forgot to mention a few Peretti mixtures.

Of course, saying "I don't like PA and I'll amp it up with perique" is a valid definition of the term, and that would be similar to your way of thinking. I just think in this particular case, the OP was looking for something much more similar to PA.
I disagree with your assessment. Both PA and HB are listed as "Burley based" as their blend types on Tobacco Reviews. I defer to that site's classification over yours, and for that reason I mentioned HB in my post with which you took issue. If I had said, "If you like PA you should try Pirate Kake", I'd see your point.
I consider PA a 2 star blend. I have no problem smoking it in a pinch. I taste similarities between PA and HB. I am not the first or only person to mention this. If you don't, I chalk it up to palate differences and feel no need to correct you.
?

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I disagree with your assessment. Both PA and HB are listed as "Burley based" as their blend types on Tobacco Reviews. I defer to that site's classification over yours, and for that reason I mentioned HB in my post with which you took issue. If I had said, "If you like PA you should try Pirate Kake", I'd see your point.
I consider PA a 2 star blend. I have no problem smoking it in a pinch. I taste similarities between PA and HB. I am not the first or only person to mention this. If you don't, I chalk it up to palate differences and feel no need to correct you.
?
I never saw a connection between the two. And "burley based" doesn't necessarily indicate the same genre. A subset, possibly. When Prince Albert has a lot of perique and the burley is twice rougher with no cocoa, we'll agree. Otherwise, we won't. :)

gerryp

Oct 8, 2018
Arabi, LA
I never saw a connection between the two. And "burley based" doesn't necessarily indicate the same genre. A subset, possibly. When Prince Albert has a lot of perique and the burley is twice rougher with no cocoa, we'll agree. Otherwise, we won't. :)
Ya know, you're right. The cocoa actually gives it some flavor!
?
Edit: For the record, if Tobacco Reviews had listed these under different but currently nonexistent blend sub-types, we'd be on a similar page.

Reactions: edger

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Ya know, you're right. The cocoa actually gives it some flavor!
?
Edit: For the record, if Tobacco Reviews had listed these under different but currently nonexistent blend sub-types, we'd be on a similar page.
TR paints blend types with a wide brush, so you can't take it literally or accurately all the time. I try not to do that. I rate blends against other blends in their particular category. That gives the reader a better idea of how the blend stands in the tobaccos universe rather than rating for my personal taste or a more universal category.

gerryp

Oct 8, 2018
Arabi, LA
TR paints blend types with a wide brush, so you can't take it literally or accurately all the time. I try not to do that. I rate blends against other blends in their particular category. That gives the reader a better idea of how the blend stands in the tobaccos universe rather than rating for my personal taste or a more universal category.
And so my original comment painted with a wide brush as well.
Say...I just caught something in your post. You said HB was rough in the burley dept. I don't think so, and I am not a fan of rough burley. In fact, HB stood out for me because of the smooth but flavorful burley. Mine was bought in bulk and it's probably a year and a half old, at least. The PA I tried was in a pouch that had been sitting in WalMart for an unknown period. This could make a difference, yes?

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
p-seinfeld-wayne-knight.jpg
MIDDLETON!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.