PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

troyniss

Can't Leave
Jul 8, 2018
Michigan
Bummer. I picked up a tub last year and still haven't opened it. I do enjoy Prince Albert as a no-nonsense smoke. I'll be happy with the pouches still being made, although the tubs are iconic. Alas, such is the world we live in today.

Infantry23

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 8, 2020
Smithsburg, Maryland
That's sad news about the tubs being discontinued, if it's true. I'm not buying tubs of any blend from now on because I'll probably be giving up the pipe in 2021 due to my COPD getting worse. Thank God for DIP.
I'm really sorry to hear that, Ray. I hope you focus on your health and things work out well for you.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think Princess Alberta, mentioned in sable's earlier post on this thread, should join Forums as a new member and post a come-hither photo of herself that makes all of us stumble over each other wishing her welcome.

Magpiety

Dec 7, 2019
Kansas City
I read my prior note, it was not clear. I was told PA 14 oz tubs were discontinued in California only. Otherwise PA pouches and 14 oz tubs should be available.

Magpie- where did you get your info that the tubs were discontinued?

Just a Middleton's customer service rep. What you're saying could be true, I didn't press for specifics on the tubs. I sure hope tubs are sticking around everywhere else!

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
Philadelphia Suburbs, Pennsylvania
An update--the tubs HAVE been discontinued. The pouches will stay around. Apparently the pouch version of regular PA has been carrying the day for the tub, the vanilla, and the cherry.
I smoke a lot of PA - being my primary smoke - and my experience has been that while the tubs are nifty - 14 oz. tub averages $38.00 - $40.00 range; or approximately $2.80/oz. net; versus, the 1.5 oz. pouches at $4.50; or $3.00/oz. net; or about $0.25 cents/oz. difference between the two containers - however, consistently, I have found the taste, hydration-level, and, the overall bouquet of tabak in the 1.5 oz stay-fresh metal foil pouches out-shines the cool looking big plastic tub tabak every time. I am going to make the assumption it is the foil pouch itself which is the greatest factor in making the difference. So, I stopped buying the 14 oz. plastic tubs a long time ago; and instead, buy the 1.5 oz. pouches, not individually, but in a "Brick/Sleeve of 6", at $2.77/oz. net; less Tax - while supporting my local B&M - which works for me. - Sherm Natman

Pipewizard420

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 28, 2020
Have also noticed the stock of Carter Hall has disappeared from nearly all major online retailers as well. Since Middleton owns both PA as well as CH hopefully this is not a sign of the times and instead is either a way to sell off old stock or merger/ bought out by a bigger entity. Either way hopefully these CLASSIC Blends will be around for years to come as they are worth trying iconic tobaccos.

• Wow
Reactions: JOHN72 and dcon

homesteader

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 7, 2019
FWIW I recently received the January catalog from Pipes & Cigars. They have Prince Albert and Carter Hall both for sale in pouch and 14 ounce can. They do not have the PA vanilla listed. They do have PA cherry vanilla cigarillos for sale. Checking the P&C website, the CH and PA are listed as back ordered. The flavored PA varieties are no longer available, according to the P&C website.

Reactions: Pipewizard420

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Have also noticed the stock of Carter Hall has disappeared from nearly all major online retailers as well. Since Middleton owns both PA as well as CH hopefully this is not a sign of the times and instead is either a way to sell off old stock or merger/ bought out by a bigger entity. Either way hopefully these CLASSIC Blends will be around for years to come as they are worth trying iconic tobaccos.
I'll say it again. A lot of people got back into pipe smoking during this whole Covid thing. So suddenly sales jump up way more than expected. And then you get temporary shortages. It takes times to ramp up production compounded by not knowing if that will be a mistake.

Reactions: Pipewizard420

Pipewizard420

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 28, 2020
Found 2 tubs today at a local B&M, the lady said they were having trouble getting more shipped to them. Bought 1 and left 1 so someone else could get one.

Really hope this is just a "short term delay means long term relief" situation and they can come back strong to replenish stock.....but for the time being it's not looking good for them

On the other hand G&H just shipped some stateside so anything is possible ;)

Reactions: shermnatman

anantaandroscoggin

Sep 9, 2017
Greene, Maine, USA
A while back while listening to a Jazz radio station, I heard the DJ mention that one of the three pieces that had just been played was titled Prince Albert. Afraid I wasn't sure which of the pieces was that one, and they mentioned neither the composer nor the band on the recording.

Reactions: JOHN72
Status
Not open for further replies.