PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mihailo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 1, 2016
NW Indiana
Help I am being drawn down the lane of PAD, I already have a pipe from Adam comming, however those Sav 320's and prince shaped pipes are drawing me in. I fear if I succumb I won't have any funds to fuel my TAD.

katarn07

Might Stick Around
Mar 1, 2016
Get the 320 if you don't own one. Sorry. Did you think someone wouldn't tell you to buy more pipes?
The 320 was my third pipe but my first "high end" one. And by high end I mean it retailed for more than $35. The 320 is tied with a Parker billiard for being my favorite pipe. If I could only own two they're the ones I'd keep.

katarn07

Might Stick Around
Mar 1, 2016
In all seriousness I bought a rack that only fits six pipes. I am a 1-3x a week smoker and have an idea of what I want on that rack eventually. And then that will be it. I have a very limited budget and never pay full price on pipes that retail for more than $35. I use promo codes or Amazon Credit. I make sure each pipe has a purpose and isn't just going to be used for the same blends my other pipes use. I have one that's for Englishes/Balkans, one exclusively for the Frog Mortons, a VA pipe, and one I regretted buying for aromatics. But now I discovered an aromatic I like so will finally use that one.
My first case of PAD was getting a Christmas Peterson. I don't know what I'll smoke in it but I wanted a Peterson, a calabash, and an army mount so I got all of those things in this one pipe. I'll figure out what to smoke in it by Christmas when I get to open it.

mihailo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 1, 2016
NW Indiana
I am a 1-3x a week smoker and have an idea of what I want on that rack eventually.

Exactly the same here, I have a set pipe and type of blends I use for it, however I still like to experiment. I started out with one basket pipe and now once the commission comes in I'll have a 7 day set, lord knows I won't ever actually use one each day.

kamikaze

Lurker
Sep 12, 2016
I only smoke on says that end in Y. :D :puffy:
Definitely feeling the PAD here too. I bought my second Falcon yesterday. Am on the hunt for a good Calabash too, if I can afford it. Just for sake of curiosity, what's so special about the army mount?

mihailo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 1, 2016
NW Indiana
I believe the army mount allows for the safe removal of the stem mid smoke, also mainly personal/ aesthetic preferences.

Jan 8, 2013
have an idea of what I want on that rack eventually. And then that will be it.
:rofl: I always laugh when I hear that one! :rofl: That will be it, he says!!! :rofl:
and now for your enjoyment... a photo of Orson Welles, laughing.
134452161884.jpg

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I personally have no more need for pipes. Actually I'm trying to get rid of some of the pipes I have now. I'm down to 5 Briars after breaking 2 and losing one, and 2 cobs after ruining one and losing one , and feel like that is still too many.
I smoke both cobs, and 4 of the briars. But would be happy with only one of each.
I'd love to help you out with your PAD. ( Peterson Aran pot still for sale in the buy/sell page) ;)

mihailo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 1, 2016
NW Indiana
I'd love to help you out with your PAD. ( Peterson Aran pot still for sale in the buy/sell page)

I would love to, however I have neither the tools or the funds to take on that Peterson at the moment.

andvary

Might Stick Around
Aug 29, 2016
There is no actual "cure for PAD", I'm afraid. The temptation is just too strong (for me at least).

You can cheat though. :wink:

1. Buy one thing at a time. No buying until the last package arrives.

2. Buy inexpensive pipes. Or save up and buy high-end pipes, but less often.

3. Buy projects (pipes that require refurbishing or repair) and don't buy more until you finish what you already have.

4. Sell or give away, don't hoard. If a pipe is not used regularly - get rid of it.

5. Try buying a blank and carving a pipe by hand. It will at least keep your busy for while.
And don't let the self-pity get to you. At least pipes are small and easy to store. Apart from a growing pipe collection I have about ten guitars (in various stages of repair), three amps, a score of boardgames in bulky boxes and a ton of pewter soldiers that need to be painted. :twisted:

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Looking to the wrong people for PAD help here. Damned bunch of enablers! :mrgreen:
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/no-friends-during-a-pad-attack

lifesizehobbit

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
Don't feel bad; the 320's song is very strong and I've been listening myself. So far, I have resisted this siren's call...

My wife opened the junk drawer in the kitchen and pulled out a couple of pipes that I just stowed in there after receiving them in the mail. Then I found one in a shoe as I was getting out my Fall shoes out of the closet. It wasn't too long ago that I only had three pipes. Now, they are a little out of control. Some, I don't even remember buying.

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
+1 @andvary
My strongest control is SWMBO, mostly. Sometimes I breakdown & must face her ire.
I need to refurbish & sell a bunch of estate pipes before any more PAD, but I'm not too strict about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.