PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Be surprised if I have more than a few pounds of tobacco, about 30 tobaccos including

blending only Latakia and Perique. I guess I should stock up, but the whim to try something

else is strong. When I stock up on even the most respectable blend, I suddenly want to try

something else, so I tend to have small quantities of a lot of different blends and non-blends.

Now the Forums has me hankering for cherry, cherry no less ... that was one of the few I felt

I'd never have to try. If I had two pounds of Fictitious English Glade, that would be the one

I didn't feel like packing in a pipe. Quirkly.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
once a month I order 2 pounds of something I know I want to cellar and a few tins of stuff I want to try that I can't find locally. every week I buy a tub of CH or PA and occasionally a tub of SB from a local carryout. I figure when the black market kicks in I'll have plenty of stuff to sell. soon I'll be switching that $80 to the monthly order.

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
dochudson, how long have you kept the CH & PA in the plastic tubs it comes in? I would think they would be fine for long term storage if left sealed, what are your thoughts?

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
all the tubs come with some kind of shrink wrap and they are all stacked in a dead refrigerator in the basement. whenever I need to open a tub I always open the oldest (close to 2 years) and I see no problem at all.

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
+1 Roth - Doing a calculation on how much you'll need is fairly useless. To start you may not even be smoking in five years. If you're on the younger side of 50, you will be smoking more on the flip side. Once you semi/retire in life and more time becomes yours to determine...Some bowls will be involved in figuring out what to do.
Without getting into the whole market issues, other things will affect what and the way you smoke. One of the things that will affect most tobacco smokers will be as with all things - technology. Pipe smoking enjoys something more powerful than cigarette and cigar smokers, is community and co-op production of product is a very possible achievement. You may also choose, or economically have to enjoy tobacco in another means of delivery. Believe me experiments are being done by many people looking towards the future. But if there's a will, there's a way, we are human.
Craig

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
Impressive cellar peckinpahhombre...... I currently have 52.2lbs in the cellar. I guess I need to

put the tobacco businesses to work.
I really like your inventory program... What is it? I use the 'Pipe Tool' app on my iPhone.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Holy crap that's quite the collection. I'd love to see what 107 tins of Escudo looks like.
I'm at only about 3 to 5 lbs if I'm lucky with Penzance being the largest quantity.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Please don't tell Harris the apocalypse is coming. He'll corner the available market. LOL
lol - too late, Harris is well aware of it and stocking up nicely. I only wish I could afford to stock up more.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I'm somewhere a little north of 130 lbs. (all of it in tins), which, even allowing for increased consumption, would likely last the rest of my life (I'm 51 now). That doesn't mean I stop buying tobacco, though. . . ;)
Bob

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Peck, that is quite impressive since you are in Canada. I am currently at around 135 with another 115 to go. I am 55 and figure if I am lucky I will live another 25 years, so at my consumption of 10 pounds or so a year, I need 250. I would be closer if supply was not an issue. I am happy to say that all of my bulks except Stonehaven( only 11 pounds) are all set. I am like Bob in that most of my cellar is tins with only 5 bulks stocked. My issue is going to be where I can find room to store it all, already I am running out of space. I figure I will eventually clean out my cooler that has my cigars in it and that will be able to hold a good 70-90 pounds or so of tins.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
Wow, these cellars are impressive.
I have been "putting by", as we say locally, tins of tobacco for years.
But boy, my meager cellar can't match these reports.
I'm a geezer, so my only hope is that my plan of "buy two tins: smoke one, save one," has been a good philosophy and will hold.

hfearly

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 11, 2012
Canada
Meh, I'm sitting at 30 pounds stashed away and now the Canadian Tobacalypse will come early (April 1st 2013). Wish I hadn't dragged my feet :-(

rjscha

Lurker
Feb 16, 2013
I have to admit I'm impressed. Some of your cellars are epic.
I'm going to have to get a second job if I ever hope to catch up.

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I have thought about it too.
I didn't think I'd find other preppers on a pipe forum. :lol:
How about stocking up on tobacco seeds and trying to grow your own, to get a sustainable source? Maybe grow some deer tongue and other "mixers" also...

Status
Not open for further replies.