PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aomalley27

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 8, 2021
Chicagoland area
They use a lot more than beet sugar for casings. There's records of all sorts of wonderful chemicals having been used on pipe tobacco for a flavor profile, mold/fungal inhibitor, preserving freshness, etc.
True, there’s Poly-glycol which is both a preservative as well as an anti-fungal (and which has a natural sweetening characteristic).

Reactions: turbomunkey
Big difference between a tobacco casing (usually beet sugar to make tobacco palatable); vs the laundry list of chemical additives to cigarette tobacco (palm oil, basil oil, AMMONIA, Benzoic Acid, Ethyl Alcohol, etc).
But, we don't know for certain what is added to some pipe tobaccos. When Woods and Condorlover started researching WarHorse to bring that blend back, the recipe turned out to have a lot of stuff in there that none of us would put in our mouths.
Now, I am not defending cigarettes or their companies. I hate cigarettes, and Big Cig did more to ruin smoking for the rest of the ways tobacco is used. But, things like ammonia are already in the leaf. It doesn't have to be added, and many chems come from the process of isolating the nicotine so that they could comply with regulations that insist that the companies comply with controlling how much nicotine is in each cigarette.

Now, I know that pre-rolled cigarettes are not a tobacco that I want to smoke in my pipe, but can someone know definitively that there aren't some pipe tobaccos that don't also contain some questionable chemicals? When Greg Pease started blending it was new and refreshing to have a blender who strove to bring us an unadulterated tobacco blend. It was new, and no one was talking about things like this. You could smoke Mixture 79, Borkum Riff, Condor and tell that there's something unnatural in there, something not right.
I think I trust most pipe tobaccos now, especially US pipe tobaccos, to at least strive to make a better product. Mixture 79 isn't what it used to be. I still don't like it, but at least it doesn't burn your fingers to load a bowl since Sutliff took it over, ha ha. But still, better, worse... I'd have to know a lot more stuff before I painted with such a broad brush.

I believe Russ posted that kerosene (or something like that) was added to the original WarHorse, and we only know that because they bought the rights to the recipe. What else is in some of those older blends that are still in production.

All I'm saying is that before we start bashing our nasty neighbors over this or that, we gotta make sure we aren't also doing this or that.

Aomalley27

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 8, 2021
Chicagoland area
I believe Russ posted that kerosene (or something like that) was added to the original WarHorse, and we only know that because they bought the rights to the recipe. What else is in some of those older blends that are still in production.

All I'm saying is that before we start bashing our nasty neighbors over this or that, we gotta make sure we aren't also doing this or that.
Not bashing cigs, just simply stating the biggest determinant is inhalation. Most cig smokers inhale, whereas most pipe smokers do not. Thus absorption rates of nicotine, tar, etc are much higher amongst cigarette smokers.

Not bashing cigs, just simply stating the biggest determinant is inhalation. Most cig smokers inhale, whereas most pipe smokers do not. Thus absorption rates of nicotine, tar, etc are much higher amongst cigarette smokers.
I get more nicotine from smoking my pipes or a cigar without inhaling them, but it gets into my bloodstream faster from cigarettes, otherwise, yes... don't smoke cigarettes, ha ha.

Jun 9, 2018
England
If you want some old cutter top tins of great cigarettes between 50 - 70 years old I know a fellow with a carton of John Player Navy Cuts (12 tins of 50 cigarettes each). I have several other kinds but was thinking of trying the Players.

View attachment 81648
I had a tin of the Churchman No1 the Christmas before last. The tin probably dated from the 1960s and when I opened it the cigarettes were fresh and had a strong fruity smell, which I'm guessing came from the aged Virginia in them.
They were strong and tastey.

Reactions: turbomunkey
Status
Not open for further replies.