PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terry Lennox

Can't Leave
Aug 11, 2021
Southern California
I don't know what this may mean for pipe tobacco but the premium hand rolled cigar industry has won its case against the FDA. The deeming rules will no longer apply to premium hand rolled unflavored cigars.

Does anyone know where the rules for pipe tobacco stand as of now?

Link to article.

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
It seems that you you may be under the false impression that the government is here to help,
We used to not have an FDA or regulatory laws concerning food products, medicine, etc. There was a lot of bad shit in those products. There still is, to some degree, but at least you can buy food now without having to worry about lead or arsenic poisoning.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
We used to not have an FDA or regulatory laws concerning food products, medicine, etc. There was a lot of bad shit in those products. There still is, to some degree, but at least you can buy food now without having to worry about lead or arsenic poisoning.
I am just going to point out that regulations aren't always bad for industry and like a lot of things it's how well they're done that matters. But for a real world illustration look at the confidence in general for certain products like pipes coming out of China. It screws over the legit carvers and companies. So called Premium cigars (I call them real cigars) certainly don't need the same regulations that more mass consumed tobacco products should have. Including the health warnings. Personally I am fine with warnings if they're legit warnings. Don't put your ladder up on an uneven surface. But premium cigars aren't a serious health risk. They're not without risk but not warning label levels.

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
This is what is called “things coming full circle “. Same deal with the unions.

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
It's interesting to me that some folks express skepticism towards bureaucracy (which is indeed warranted), but don't seem to question the integrity of private entities in the same way. Do you think that a corporation whose execs answer to a board of shareholders has your best interests and wellbeing in mind? Most would gladly sell you something that kills you if it benefits their bottom line and they can avoid any real accountability. That's the heavy hand of corporate influence on political-economic discourse, for you.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
It's interesting to me that some folks express skepticism towards bureaucracy (which is indeed warranted), but don't seem to question the integrity of private entities in the same way. Do you think that a corporation whose execs answer to a board of shareholders has your best interests and wellbeing in mind? Most would gladly sell you something that kills you if it benefits their bottom line and they can avoid any real accountability. That's the heavy hand of corporate influence on political-economic discourse, for you.
Not me...I question both. But it's much worse when they team up.

And in many cases, the largest corporations only exist because they've been protected from competition and given all kinds of passes on the supposed "regulations". Big pharma is allowed to do their own testing for the most part...the FDA is just there to rubber stamp it.

That's why there's a revolving door between the regulatory agencies and the corporate boardrooms...they earn those cush jobs by protecting them and doing them favors as "regulators".

Last edited:

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Those good old boys in Washington DC want their candy. What else is new? If they were smoking pipes instead, pipe tobacco will also be protected. Those fuckers will sell shit to China if it gets them what they want. Run country down by totally fucking up the finance, give all the weapons and ammo to Ukraine, not allowing necessary level of education for our children.. I guess cigar is just little more important.

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
Those good old boys in Washington DC want their candy. What else is new? If they were smoking pipes instead, pipe tobacco will also be protected. Those fuckers will sell shit to China if it gets them what they want. Run country down by totally fucking up the finance, give all the weapons and ammo to Ukraine, not allowing necessary level of education for our children.. I guess cigar is just little more important.
The Ukrainian military is not only defending their sovereignty and their people, but destroying the military capabilities and revealing the weaknesses of an enemy foreign power - Russia, by the way, is openly hostile to the United States - so what is there to lose by giving them a bunch or surplus hardware to fight with? We get to field test our gear and collect data on it while they fight our enemy for us. I'm not seeing the downside, here. I really just don't understand the arguments against arming Ukraine, aside from a pro-Russian standpoint.

Status
Not open for further replies.