PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I have no description for my favorite style. Some people might call it weird but I prefer the term eclectic.

Then again, even "eclectic" pipe have a traditional shape at their heart with the weirdness simply surrounding it.

The Barling acorn shape is a nice addition. They weren't regular production.
Thanks very much for valuable input, Mr. Silver. I bought it as an estate pipe from Paul Hubartt and let me tell you that the pipe is not just beautiful to behold but also a very decent smoker. He had another very similar Barling on offer but the markings were barely visible as a result of over-buffing.

One more question for you as an expert if you'll be so kind: Is it possible to explain the lack of any model number on the pipe with your comment that this wasn't a regular production pipe? The only markings there are can be seen in the additional pictures below. IMG_3544.jpg
IMG_3545.jpg

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
I like classic shapes. Beyond that, it’s more about the shapes I know I don’t like:

Any freehands
Hawkbills
Volcanos
Pencil shanks
Oom Pauls
Anything full bent

Reactions: Reggie

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I am very particular when it comes to the shapes I collect. I probably have more billiards than any other shape followed by Dublins, Apples, Lovats, Brandy's, Rhodesians, one Volcano from Bruce Weaver that I love. I am a classic shape guy and rarely ever stray from them.

I believe that if a carver cannot make a seriously great shaped Billiard, then they should quit making other pipes until they can. For my tastes I won't give a carver a second look if I see an ugly Billiard they are trying to dump on the public. I see it all the time and I think the buyers for the companies need to be shown what a proper Billiard is and never sell the crappy ones. They should send them back to the carver with a note, try again and don't stop till you get it right. Here is just one example of what I call a proper Billiard. It is a 1966 Dunhill LB.

Here is a Jack Howell he recently made me.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I have more Bulldogs and billiards(straight and bent) than other shapes.
Aesthetically, I love the elegance of cuttys and Prince of Wales, and am drawn to chubby shanked billiards and apples. I find brandys and eggs most comfortable to hold with their rounded bottoms

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Thanks very much for valuable input, Mr. Silver. I bought it as an estate pipe from Paul Hubartt and let me tell you that the pipe is not just beautiful to behold but also a very decent smoker. He had another very similar Barling on offer but the markings were barely visible as a result of over-buffing.

One more question for you as an expert if you'll be so kind: Is it possible to explain the lack of any model number on the pipe with your comment that this wasn't a regular production pipe? The only markings there are can be seen in the additional pictures below. View attachment 71698
View attachment 71699
Your question impelled me to take a look at mine. None of them have a model number stamped on them. I'd be making a guess, but here it is. Barling didn't stamp model numbers on pipes that were not a standard part of their line up. For example, Barling STRAIGHTGRAIN pipes don't have model numbers, nor do quaints IIRC. These being a special order, they would not be stamped with a model number. Within the company they would have a pattern number. Your pipe, like mine, is post WW2, probably made between 1947 and 1956, more or less. I'd tend to favor the mid '50's since mine have come from that time.
Prior to WW2, Barling stamped model numbers during the mid 1920's, and occasionally during the 1930's, but it wasn't until after the War that stamping a model number became a regular thing, with the exception of non standard pipes.