PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
I am surprised that upon doing a search I didn't come across a thread which focused on shape preference related to pipe enjoyment and use. If I am not correct, please advise.

For whatever reason, I love the "author" shape. When I looked at old Kaywoodie catalogues from the '30's on, the "author" shape was pictured and listed, but not featured. I suspect it was not a popular shape.

Probably because of the way I like to hold a pipe in my palm, a rounded bowl is preferred. I will occasionally put two fingers over the opening. While I love my Freehand MM cob, it's rather tall bowl is not a comfortable.

Anyway, perusing eBay, I have noticed the "author" shape to very popular today or at least most of that or similar shape always has a bid.

I may be mistaken, but I think for me most decent briar pipes will suffice, but not all shapes. Do you agree or differ.

I regularly smoke 20-30 of my pipes and have no preference for a specific shape when smoking as long as the pipe is well-made.

Aesthetically speaking I really like a well made Canadian and slender billiards. I am not a great photographer but here are a couple of pics of some of my favorites.

This slender Upshall is my favorite VA flake pipe.
IMG_3538.jpg
I also quite like my Charatan Special Canadian.
IMG_3539.jpg
This Comoy's Blue Riband is not really slender but the saddle stem gives it a less bulky, classy look.
IMG_3537.jpg
And lastly one of my newest acquisitions, a bent Barling's Make Ye Olde Wood Special T.V.F., whose shape and balance I also like a lot.
IMG_3541.jpg

By the way, the paperweight is a phoenix and not an eagle ;) ;) ;).

NightShayde

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2021
Georgia
flatline2beatline.com
I am surprised that upon doing a search I didn't come across a thread which focused on shape preference related to pipe enjoyment and use. If I am not correct, please advise.

For whatever reason, I love the "author" shape. When I looked at old Kaywoodie catalogues from the '30's on, the "author" shape was pictured and listed, but not featured. I suspect it was not a popular shape.

Probably because of the way I like to hold a pipe in my palm, a rounded bowl is preferred. I will occasionally put two fingers over the opening. While I love my Freehand MM cob, it's rather tall bowl is not a comfortable.

Anyway, perusing eBay, I have noticed the "author" shape to very popular today or at least most of that or similar shape always has a bid.

I may be mistaken, but I think for me most decent briar pipes will suffice, but not all shapes. Do you agree or differ.
I prefer Dublins.. whether they be full bent or half bent... churchwardens are what have you. Tried many pipes shapes and Dublins were the clear winner for me.

UncleRasta

Lifer
Sep 26, 2019
Monterey, CA
Aesthetically I like a stubby pipe but I haven't yet gotten to grips with getting the best smokes out of them. I'd have to say billiards and pots give me the best smoking experience right now, and generally, I prefer straight over bent. I am only18 or so months into pipe smoking though, and my tastes are still evolving.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I regularly smoke 20-30 of my pipes and have no preference for a specific shape when smoking as long as the pipe is well-made.

Aesthetically speaking I really like a well made Canadian and slender billiards. I am not a great photographer but here are a couple of pics of some of my favorites.

This slender Upshall is my favorite VA flake pipe.
View attachment 71640
I also quite like my Charatan Special Canadian.
View attachment 71641
This Comoy's Blue Riband is not really slender but the saddle stem gives it a less bulky, classy look.
View attachment 71642
And lastly one of my newest acquisitions, a bent Barling's Make Ye Olde Wood Special T.V.F., whose shape and balance I also like a lot.
View attachment 71643

By the way, the paperweight is a phoenix and not an eagle ;) ;) ;).
The Barling acorn shape is a nice addition. They weren't regular production.