Pre-Pandemic Behaviors That Should Stop...

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't want to rain on parades or be a killjoy, but I am intrigued with the idea that various mass gatherings could be done virtually. I know most big-time athletes have trained to perform in front of crowds, but in fact, they could be almost as widely appreciated, as they mostly are anyway, via TV and devices. Likewise with musical concerts which do not really require the audience be present at all. And what's with these late-night TV hosts who can't do monologues without an adoring crowd or interviews except in person? What's with that? You have to have an adoring crowd on hand to be funny? I'm glad various family members and friends, some of whom are much sharper than the so-called professional comics, didn't require an auditorium.

Sonorisis

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 24, 2019
Great question. I hope some enlightenment comes from this tragedy. My gripe is any place -- usually in a store -- where everyone's actions are focused on one point. The other day, I was checking out at Walgreen's -- WALGREEN'S -- and was asked during the check-out procedure to key in my phone number to a digital pad for reward points. Every person who'd been in the store that day had touched that keypad. Of course, I said 'no, I'm not touching that' and the nice lady keyed it in on her register. But, the fact that such a 'vector' for transmission exists in that form in most stores is inexcusable. Especially, a store that claims to 'care about my health'

That kind of thing has to change.

I'm not even gonna get started on gas pumps.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
Great question. I hope some enlightenment comes from this tragedy. My gripe is any place -- usually in a store -- where everyone's actions are focused on one point. The other day, I was checking out at Walgreen's -- WALGREEN'S -- and was asked during the check-out procedure to key in my phone number to a digital pad for reward points. Every person who'd been in the store that day had touched that keypad. Of course, I said 'no, I'm not touching that' and the nice lady keyed it in on her register. But, the fact that such a 'vector' for transmission exists in that form in most stores is inexcusable. Especially, a store that claims to 'care about my health'

That kind of thing has to change.

I'm not even gonna get started on gas pumps.

That's what gloves are for. Come on man, get with the program.

Jun 9, 2018
England
I don't want to rain on parades or be a killjoy, but I am intrigued with the idea that various mass gatherings could be done virtually. I know most big-time athletes have trained to perform in front of crowds, but in fact, they could be almost as widely appreciated, as they mostly are anyway, via TV and devices. Likewise with musical concerts which do not really require the audience be present at all. And what's with these late-night TV hosts who can't do monologues without an adoring crowd or interviews except in person? What's with that? You have to have an adoring crowd on hand to be funny? I'm glad various family members and friends, some of whom are much sharper than the so-called professional comics, didn't require an auditorium.

I can't get behind the idea of no crowds at sporting events or music concerts.
In 2017 Barcelona had to play a game in an empty stadium because of football hooliganism and it just wasn't the same without the crowds cheering and booing. I'd especially miss the matches in England with the fans and their funny crowd chants.

As for music concerts try and imagine Queen at Live Aid but without everyone going wild when Freddie Mercury starts singing Bohemian Rhapsody or the crowd clapping along to Radio Ga Ga, it just wouldn't have been the same.

Queen at Live Aid:

Crowd free football game:

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I can't get behind the idea of no crowds at sporting events or music concerts.
In 2017 Barcelona had to play a game in an empty stadium because of football hooliganism and it just wasn't the same without the crowds cheering and booing. I'd especially miss the matches in England with the fans and their funny crowd chants.

As for music concerts try and imagine Queen at Live Aid but without everyone going wild when Freddie Mercury starts singing Bohemian Rhapsody or the crowd clapping along to Radio Ga Ga, it just wouldn't have been the same.

Queen at Live Aid:

Crowd free football game:
Absolutely. I don’t think these events will go away. They’re just going to have to be smarter with sanitizing and the main thing is people need to change habits. Before this I would say most guys I saw in a public restroom never washed their hands. Also people just drinking beer cans that have been sitting wherever, food containers or food sitting out etc. that’s all going to change I hope.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
I'm a biologist and have done research on bats on a several continents. I would like people to stop eating them. I also think international trade in wild animal and animal parts (for example pangolins) needs to stop. Perhaps this pandemic will finally put an end to these practices.

Jun 9, 2018
England
Absolutely. I don’t think these events will go away. They’re just going to have to be smarter with sanitizing and the main thing is people need to change habits. Before this I would say most guys I saw in a public restroom never washed their hands. Also people just drinking beer cans that have been sitting wherever, food containers or food sitting out etc. that’s all going to change I hope.

Oh my God don't get me started on people who don't wash their hands after taking a leak! I'll be in a train station public toilet washing my hands and see guys just wandering out without bothering.
I'd really like to follow one out one day and be all like:

"everyone, EVERYONE! Just letting all of you know that this guy just took a piss and didn't wash his hands afterwards. OK everyone, as you were."

I would definitely do this if I didn't think the guy who I'd shamed would turn round and thrash me within an inch of my life?.

Jun 9, 2018
England
This will mark me as naive, but I would like it if the end result of this on the populace is a little more civic mindedness, and a little less "I'm sure the country is doing fine, because I, personally, was able to procure X"

A bit more unnecessary consumption wouldn't go amiss.

Obviously I'm not including pipe tobacco in that statement as adding more tins to your cellar that you probably don't need and most likely will never live long enough to smoke is one of the most necessary things a person can do.?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
That's what gloves are for. Come on man, get with the program.
Yep. When I saw what was coming I went out and bought a couple of boxes of gloves from my local CVS. I bought the heavy duty Curad Nitrile Exam Gloves because they're durable. I've shared them with friends and family. I wipe them down with sanitizer before and after use and I'm good to go.
Gloves aren't absolutely necessary, but I feel more comfortable wearing them. I don't go anywhere without hand sanitizer. And none of this is a substitute for washing your hands for 20 to 30 seconds with soap and water.
Keep your hands off of your face and it's highly unlikely you will get the virus.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
I was in the checkout line of a grocery store a couple of weeks ago. I watched a woman in the produce section pick up a carrot, handle it with both hands, inspecting it, and then put it back into the pile. She repeated this 3 more times before I shouted across the store at her. My blood was boiling. She didn’t seem to appreciate being called a selfish bitch and having all eyes on her. Her boyfriend/husband looked like he wanted to disappear. WTF?

Needless to say, wash any fresh produce carefully, there are morons around.

Status
Not open for further replies.