PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
The windcap Embers posted would have been my recommendation as well. It's not so great as a windcap, but effectively keeps the chamber contents from spilling out in your pocket.
To the OP: I nearly always pre-pack anymore, particularly coins, flake, or sliced plug, by a day or three sometimes. Though I like to dry things out pretty well before stuffing, pre-packing gives the tobacco on top a chance to dry out even more for an easy light.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
As I pack I am putting the next load out to dry. But it's like talking about your dinner while you're eating breakfast, it's hard to anticipate what you'll crave at that time.

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
I don't like to make decisions, do things, or converse in the morning before ingesting significant doses of nicotine and caffeine. So I load up the night before every single day. Same pipe, same tobacco for a few months now. Routine, it's what's for breakfast.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
I pack my morning bowl the night before, and my afternoon bowl in the morning. I think it tastes better with a bit of airing out, and I like being able to just light and go when I want a pipe.

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
I've just started doing this as of late. Either pre pack or just leave enough for a bowl or two sitting in my ceramic saucer on the kitchen counter. I'm finding that crispy dry tobacco isn't such a bad thing in some cases.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Convenience. If I go somewhere knowing that I'll only have time for one bowl, I'll pre-pack. Saves me from taking tobacco along.
Yes.
Prepacking far in advance means the tobacco on top is drier than that in the bottom, not such a good thing. I sometimes put extra dry tobacco in first, and top it off with medium dry.

Jan 8, 2013
I do this on occasion. Mainly it's when I'm planning on smoking a blend which requires more dry time. Other times it's simply for convenience.

piperusak

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 17, 2018
I pack a bowl in advance only in two cases. If the tobacco is very wet or to free your hands from tobacco when walking.

eightywon

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 4, 2014
Greetings all longtime no see. Been lurking for a few weeks after a substantial hiatus and was prompted by this thread. Surprised no one mentioned DGT? I only occasionally DGT but can’t honestly say I could tell a difference when I do? Is this not a thing anymore?

OP experiment a little and see what works for you (like so many others say, in so many other responses, to so many other questions)

I believe I remember hearing Brian Levine talking about charring a few bowls the day before to achieve this. Is he still around??

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
FYI for you newer denizens, what eighty is talking about here is Delayed Gratification Technique. Basically it's just smoking part of a bowl (maybe halfway or so), then letting it go out & pick up & light again sometime later. Since a lot of my pipes have largeish bowls & I often smoke them in the car, for me it's sometimes just by default. I never actually *plan* in advance to do it. :)
Bill

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
What Bill said. Several times a day I will put a bowl down that's unfinished. I may load another and head out. When I come back to it - in an hour, or the next day, it's fine on relight. Why? Because it's not soggy at the bottom.
I pack a bowl in advance only in two cases. If the tobacco is very wet or to free your hands from tobacco when walking.
If the tobacco is wet, that is not a time to load a pipe. It stays wet at the heel, while drying on top.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
I plan to experiment more with this. Today I packed a bowl of ennerdale with the 8mtention of smoking it tonight or at latest tomorrow am

Status
Not open for further replies.