PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
This is the first time I have packed my morning pipe the night before. I have a bowl of Gh&co Grasmere Flake waiting for me. I have read a few times that some people pack a day in advance but have never understood why so I figured I'd try it.

Does anyone do this regularly and if so, why?

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
I mostly smoke flakes and like tobacco to be very dry, especially with Samuel Gawith tobaccos. It is easier for me to prep enough flake for 7-10 bowls, load the pipes and put on my rack with a windscreen. When I get down to two bowls, I prepare the next batch.
If I packed as I go, then each bowl would require around thirty minutes to an hour in dry time. Ain't nobody got time for that.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I have read a few times that some people pack a day in advance but have never understood why
One answer is convenience. I often pack the following day's smoke on the day before.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
It just ends up spilling.
wind_cap.jpg

tavol

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 23, 2018
If I plan on smoking a pipe whilst out and about I always pack my pipe in advance as it much more convenient.

daniel7

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 11, 2018
Kópavogur, Iceland
I never pack in advance. Pipe and tobacco choice as well depends on my mood. I don't know what will I want to smoke and from which pipe the next evening.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I've pre-packed on occasion, but prefer to load a bowl in the morning, because like others I don't know what I want as my first smoke. I'm more likely to lay out the tobacco (flake) the night before so it's properly dried when I load it in the morning.

homeatsea

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 6, 2013
If you consider an hour (give-or-take) before a smoke pre-packing then I suppose I do it every time I smoke. I like to give it some time to sit and get some fresh air before I put a flame to it. I used to pack the night before when I was regularly smoking in the mornings but now I pretty much exclusively smoke late afternoon/evening.

Mar 29, 2016
Pre-packing, even for a few hours, is really good for a more flavorful smoke. Virginias and Va/Pers profit the most from this in my opinion.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I prefer to "go" the whole ritual, packing and smoking at once, but I find for the sake of time, and multi-tasking, pre-packing often works best for me. It adds the dimension of some drying time, except for flake that tends to dry in a bowl after rubbing out anyway. I also often smoke incrementally, even smoking part of a bowl in the afternoon and the rest in the evening, or even lapsing over to the next day. For a retired person, my life is oddly hectic. I like the option of choosing a blend to suit my taste at the moment, but I find looking forward to a pre-packed bowl also works for me. I would not recommend any of this, but I've adapted.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Another Thing I Didn't Know About Mods Dept. -- Didim has a thing against windcaps. :)
Saves me from taking tobacco along.
Excellent point, work', I'd never even considered it from that angle! (Says the man who always has at *least* 3 different blends in his car somewhere.)
Me, I don't do it day-to-day, but I *do* do it on long road trips. Packing a Sav at 80 in the left lane is NOT one of favorite hobbies.....
Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.