PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
rotf My bad, shank of course.
Sorry all , stupid me.
I don't know why it took me so long to get that.
Ken Barnes often spoke of how (via Barry Jones I assume) Reuben Charatan would send pipes out for sandblasting to a neighborhood glass/window shop with a note to go "heavy on the bowls, light on the shanks".
Later, Ken would attribute the same quotation to Reuben as his directions toward the in-house sandblaster (Tony or Tom or Joe).
Could have been a lapse in memory or just a mantra at Charatan - Heavy on the bowls, light on the shanks!

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
Ken Barnes often spoke of how (via Barry Jones I assume) Reuben Charatan would send pipes out for sandblasting to a neighborhood glass/window shop with a note to go "heavy on the bowls, light on the shanks".
Later, Ken would attribute the same quotation to Reuben as his directions toward the in-house sandblaster (Tony or Tom or Joe).
Could have been a lapse in memory or just a mantra at Charatan - Heavy on the bowls, light on the shanks!
Thank you, not a clue why it took me so long either.
Well, apperently I'm not a fox .

• Haha
Reactions: sablebrush52
Dec 10, 2013
I may not be the fox that never gets caught twice etc. but I am Dutch and stubborn and that is where my sometimes confusion
derives from. Overhere we still refer to the shank as being the stem and to the stem as the mouthpiece.
Like in the old days. Savvy ?

Dec 10, 2013
Hello Brian,
Where does your info derive from ?
Cheers,
Roland