PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
"Poutineries, like Montreal's La Banquise, which is credited for much of the innovation and popularization of poutine, have dozens of varieties of poutine on their menus.[13] Many of these are based on the traditional recipe with an added meat topping such as sausage, chicken, bacon, brisket, or Montreal-style smoked meat, with the gravy adjusted for balance.[26] The Quebec City-based chain Chez Ashton is known for its poutine Galvaude (topped with chicken and green peas) and Dulton (with ground beef).[27] New variations are frequently introduced. Pulled pork was popular around 2013, followed a couple years later by Asian-fusion poutines.[28]

Montreal's multiculturalism[29] has led to many takes on the dish inspired by other cuisines, such as Haitian, Mexican, Portuguese,[28] Indian, Japanese,[11] Greek and Italian.[30] These poutines may bear little resemblance to the traditional recipe. They replace some or all of the ingredients but maintain the dynamic contrasts of textures and temperatures with a crispy element, a dairy or dairy-like element, and a unifying sauce.[1] Many variations on the original recipe are popular, leading some to suggest that poutine has emerged as a new dish classification in its own right, as with sandwiches, dumplings, soups, and flatbreads.[1]"

20200702_113742.jpg
This is poutine also, whether you like it or not. Your poutine looks nasty and soupy, the gravy/curd/fry ratio is waaaay off.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
"Poutineries, like Montreal's La Banquise, which is credited for much of the innovation and popularization of poutine, have dozens of varieties of poutine on their menus.[13] Many of these are based on the traditional recipe with an added meat topping such as sausage, chicken, bacon, brisket, or Montreal-style smoked meat, with the gravy adjusted for balance.[26] The Quebec City-based chain Chez Ashton is known for its poutine Galvaude (topped with chicken and green peas) and Dulton (with ground beef).[27] New variations are frequently introduced. Pulled pork was popular around 2013, followed a couple years later by Asian-fusion poutines.[28]

Montreal's multiculturalism[29] has led to many takes on the dish inspired by other cuisines, such as Haitian, Mexican, Portuguese,[28] Indian, Japanese,[11] Greek and Italian.[30] These poutines may bear little resemblance to the traditional recipe. They replace some or all of the ingredients but maintain the dynamic contrasts of textures and temperatures with a crispy element, a dairy or dairy-like element, and a unifying sauce.[1] Many variations on the original recipe are popular, leading some to suggest that poutine has emerged as a new dish classification in its own right, as with sandwiches, dumplings, soups, and flatbreads.[1]"

View attachment 35078
This is poutine also, whether you like it or not. Your poutine looks nasty and soupy, the gravy/curd/fry ratio is waaaay off.
That’s not the first thing Montreal has ruined.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
I didn't understand poutine until I ate it from whence it originated. It hits the spot when it's colder than a witch's tit outside. Granted I was there in early November only, in Montreal, but there was already snow on the ground (actually there was snow on the ground all the way east from Vancouver) and this Pacific NW boy was freezing his tush off.

Last edited:

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
Is Quebec curd a type of cottage cheese? I’ve never had poutine but I bet I’d get along with it just fine. Yum! Foods that look like vomit are usually delicious! Never judge a dish by its appearance is what I always say... (do I really though?)
I think it's standard cheddar cheese curd, before the addition of the yellow coloring.

There's really nothing very unsual about it: fries, cheese curd and brown gravy. Pretty humble stuff.

Food is often a culture shock, and even if it does not look appetizing, oftentimes it is! Some of my favorite foods were big culture shock before I found them delicious - Most adventurous stuff amongst them were raw oysters, sushi, burger, steak, etc... I could not make my peace though with blue cheese unless served up with Chicken Wings.

Having said that - that poutine would look more appetizing if the fries were crisp, the gravy a deep shade of brown and the cheese curd a little less moist

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Yeah, I’m very adventurous with foods, I’ll try anything (food wise) at least once. I’m not picky at all, I pretty much like everything. There is this Middle Eastern yogurt soda that I drink that makes most people gag... it’s very tart, and savory. I love the stuff... especially the bottom half, it comes out chunky! Mmmmmm! Good for the gut too!

Status
Not open for further replies.