Posts Count- Did Anyone Else Lose A Bunch?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Well, if the monthly WAYS threads get deleted, it kind of takes away some of the fun of doing it. I don't care about losing the post count, but I like the idea of the WAYS threads sticking around. It's a time capsule of what we do.

timely

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 23, 2012
jiminks, yes it would be sad if it went.

It was your posting in the WAYS that inspired me to do the same.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Thanks, Timely. But if this happens every month, I wonder if it's worth spending my time on it? It's not like we're doing anything important for the ages, but still, the threads should stay. I like time capsules. So the question ought to be: Are these threads going to be deleted each month? Then each individual can decide whether or not to participate. For my point of view, we have fun listing our smokes and reading what others are smoking. It detracts from the fun a little if it just vanishes.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
Not everything worth-while is preserved for all time :) People are just curious as to what blends others are smoking, it helps them try out new ones.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Rothnh: I like the idea of "close the thread, but don't delete it" best.
Btw, I got my Sutliff tins today and smoked a bowl of Man's Best Friend. You were right; it's good.

timely

Jan 23, 2012
Your Welcome, jiminks.

I like the time capsule aspect also.

And yes, I also question if the time and thought put into posting on the WAYS Thread is worth it, if indeed it will be deleted.

I found it full of information and some great ideas for buying new tobacco, and yes, fun.

Rothnh: Agreed, close it, don't delete it.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
+1 Jiminks! I too, think it's a time capsule of what we do! Lawrence usually just closes the thread instead of deleting it all together
By the way, I think I lost over 100 posts, not really sure. Sucks, but oh well.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Also, I have a question for Lawrence or Kevin if you guys read this. Have you guys changed something with your server? I generally post from my iPhone, but here lately if I'm not on Wi-Fi, it tells me that this site is forbidden. Just out of curiosity, I tried some of the other forums and had no trouble. It seems to only be this site. Until a week or so ago, I could get on here no matter where I was, now I can't! Just wondering.
Dan

crk69

Jun 30, 2012
I too have had the wifi issue with my Iphone, turn off the wifi, and walla, I can pull up the site... Think it goes back to the blocked spammer IP's on the firewall.... But I could be wrong...

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Also, I have a question for Lawrence or Kevin if you guys read this. Have you guys changed something with your server? I generally post from my iPhone, but here lately if I'm not on Wi-Fi, it tells me that this site is forbidden. Just out of curiosity, I tried some of the other forums and had no trouble. It seems to only be this site. Until a week or so ago, I could get on here no matter where I was, now I can't! Just wondering.
Dan
Hey Dan,

I know that Kevin has done some upgrading lately. But, to tell you the truth I've had no issues logging on with my phone on WIFI or 4G. I use a Samsung S3.

I'll shoot Kevin an email.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
I'd like to clarify, that only September's WAYS thread was deleted because of the sheer number of posts was screwing up the page layout. 2206 posts is a ton of posts and that's why it was deleted. Just about every other one is still there.
As for us (Kevin or the Mods) closing one that has a ton of posts, we used to do it all the time, but we haven't needed to do that in a looooong time. I guess we need to start doing it again if it starts to be a pattern.
-Jason

crazypipe

Lifer
Sep 23, 2012
I lost a lot when i had to rejion PM because the site kick me out and i lost my account here.

It was not for doing anything wrong something went wrong with this site ,oh well.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I have a Droid phone and I to have noticed over the past week plus that if I'm not on my wifi I can't open up the PipesMagazine website. I too get the forbidden message. I can only get it to open the website if I'm on my wifi. Everywhere else I get the forbidden message.

sfsteves

Lifer
Aug 3, 2013
SF Bay Area
if there were no tally being kept, no one would know how many posts they (or anyone else) had and the deletion of a thread would not be seen as having had an impact on anyone ... the best forum I've ever participated in kept no running tally and no one had any idea about post count ...
given the short time I've been a participant in this forum, my post count is so low that I'd have quickly noticed the loss of a couple of dozen in the count, but with the totals some guys have, I'd have never noticed and wouldn't have given it a second thought if by some odd chance it came to my attention ...

Status
Not open for further replies.