PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
I have a field jacket that has 6 pockets. 4 of them are very large. I already keep a pipe, lighter, and pipe tool in a pocket full time. I want to be prepared to smoke a pipe, should the opportunity present itself. My issue is this, these opportunities are rare when out and about, but they do happen. More often than not I'm unprepared because my only portable tobacco storage is a 4th generation zippered tobacco pouch. It's an excellent pouch and does exactly what it's supposed to do. Keep a small amount of Tobacco in smokeable condition for a day or two. I don't really want to repeatedly load and unload the pouch every couple of days on the chance I may be able to smoke. I'm also unwilling to carry a jelly jar around in my pocket. The solution I'm looking for, would be a small, pocketable, airtight container that will hold a few bowls worth of Tobacco (flake, ribbon, coin, format doesn't matter) and keep its moisture level consistent, indefinitely. (like out beloved Mason jars.)
I don't want to have to be constantly conscious of the condition of the tobacco in my pocket, but I'd like it to always be there and ready when i want it.

I've seen several items like this, usually advertised for use with jazz cabbage (cf Marijuana).

Just curious if anyone has a similar issue to mine, and has found a suitable solution.

I am having such a deja vu moment. Did you ask this exact same thing earlier this week? No, no, it's not you, it's me. I am certain that my brain is failing me, but I'd put $50 on this having been just asked.

That said, check into a Backyflap, or a leather pouch with neoprene pockets, or just put some in an empty medicine bottle, or an old film canister. I just keep any old square or rectangle tins to use to carry tobacco, but I'm not finicky about air-tightness. I prefer mine bone dry and crunchy, so I actually avoid air-tightness.

Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
I am having such a deja vu moment. Did you ask this exact same thing earlier this week? No, no, it's not you, it's me. I am certain that my brain is failing me, but I'd put $50 on this having been just asked.

That said, check into a Backyflap, or a leather pouch with neoprene pockets, or just put some in an empty medicine bottle, or an old film canister. I just keep any old square or rectangle tins to use to carry tobacco, but I'm not finicky about air-tightness. I prefer mine bone dry and crunchy, so I actually avoid air-tightness.
It wasn't me. I'll see if i can find the thread your referring to, and if i can this one can be removed. I'm sure there's an answer for me there. All of these are all great suggestions. A Macbaren HH tin may just be the answer.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon
Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog

I'm unable to find the post. Do you remember the title?

Reactions: BROBS

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
If you like any of the codger burleys, just get a 1.5 oz. pouch and stick it in your pocket. I usually keep a pouch of Carter Hall and a cob in my truck for such occasions as I may find myself out and about without a smoke. Those codger burleys last forever in those pouches, even after they are opened, so long as the pouch is zipped back up well. Can't say about the longevity of the folding plastic pouches, but they last a while too, at least a couple months if not more.

Usually I know when I'm going to be out for a while, and I bring some baccy in my roll up pouch and a pipe or two with me. Otherwise, the "emergency" pouch and cob in my truck is always available in a pinch.

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
I’d say those heavy poly or Mylar bags that have the zip work pretty well. You can always double bag if you think it will be a loooong time.

Also, camping supply probably has a lot of options. Here’s one idea for a couple of bowl’s worth.https://www.amazon.com/Kodi-Health-Pill-Container-Waterproof/dp/B07V5CR79P
Here’s a better link. Didn’t realize the first one was connected to the sentence.

Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
I definitely like the codger blend idea. Remember a guy telling me he keeps a pouch of Carter hall in his tackle box and it never dries out. I may adopt that approach. I already keep a jar of Carter hall along with a Nording compass in the console of my beater truck. For now I've settled on an empty round aluminum beard balm tin I kept my windcaps in. The seal seems solid. I've loaded it up with an oz or so of Super Balkan. Into the field jacket it goes.
I guess instead of looking for a product designed specifically for the job, I should've been looking for something to get the job done. I still may end up with something fancier one day, but I'm satisfied for now.

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
Remember a guy telling me he keeps a pouch of Carter hall in his tackle box and it never dries out. I may adopt that approach.
Sure, anything with lots of PG will keep, if that's what you want to smoke. But ipf you just double up Ziplocs, your Balkan Supreme or whatever will keep for months. I found one such stash in my car the other day that had been there for at least a year. Still a touch wet for smoking, actually. Wish I had some clue what the hell it was, because it tasted pretty good!

rajangan

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 14, 2018
Edmonton, AB
You need to look for mylar / vapour barrier / retort bags. There are really small ones out there. You only need one, so maybe look for a product that comes in one. Maybe jerky, nuts, snacks, frozen food, or something else, then reuse the package. That way you don't have to buy a bunch.

hanging-zip-barrierbags-hzbb9cg-2.jpg

Plastic is porous enough for water vapour to cross right through, and tobacco dries out if the bag material isn't thick enough. A decent freezer bag is usually fine for regular smokers, but assuming ambient humidity is low, the tobacco is gradually loosing moisture.

magicpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2018
MCO
“Jazz cabbage.” I like that.

I have a field jacket that has 6 pockets. 4 of them are very large. I already keep a pipe, lighter, and pipe tool in a pocket full time. I want to be prepared to smoke a pipe, should the opportunity present itself. My issue is this, these opportunities are rare when out and about, but they do happen. More often than not I'm unprepared because my only portable tobacco storage is a 4th generation zippered tobacco pouch. It's an excellent pouch and does exactly what it's supposed to do. Keep a small amount of Tobacco in smokeable condition for a day or two. I don't really want to repeatedly load and unload the pouch every couple of days on the chance I may be able to smoke. I'm also unwilling to carry a jelly jar around in my pocket. The solution I'm looking for, would be a small, pocketable, airtight container that will hold a few bowls worth of Tobacco (flake, ribbon, coin, format doesn't matter) and keep its moisture level consistent, indefinitely. (like out beloved Mason jars.)
I don't want to have to be constantly conscious of the condition of the tobacco in my pocket, but I'd like it to always be there and ready when i want it.

I've seen several items like this, usually advertised for use with jazz cabbage (cf Marijuana).

Just curious if anyone has a similar issue to mine, and has found a suitable solution.

Reactions: solideogloria86

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA

Ctbill

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 6, 2019
CT & VT
I'm going to add this product that I saw on another forum. It's airtight and waterproof. I will order one and update with my thoughts on the product. This seems to be exactly what I'm looking for, if it performs as described.

It does the job well. I have one. “might” get just about two bowls stuffed in there, for an average 1.5 inch depth, .75 inch diameter pipe. Keeps tobacco just as you put it in. Have gone over 2 months before using on occasion, and all was just like I put in. I would call it air tight. Nice screw down top, with a silicone “washer” for sealing.

For a bit more volume, I also use Snus tins with the same features.818D3027-06B1-4A81-A103-DFAB0BEFAFA2.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.