Tobacco Treasures Ad

Recent Posts

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Tobacco Treasures Ad

JMcQ

Preferred Member
Oct 9, 2019
Atlantic Beach, FL
I've seen pipes made out of a variety of different wood. Are there any wood types that a strict no-no for pipe making? What makes them a poor choice?

As I sit here, I wonder about the wood from a palm tree. Is it good for anything? 🌴

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member
Jan 28, 2018
As mentioned, there are toxic woods and those that simply aren't hard/dense enough to withstand the heat/flame. Obviously, briar is the predominant choice. I have a couple of Morta pipes that look nice and smoke good. I've been told to steer away from Olive wood because it can get pretty hot. I do like how some of the Olive wood pipes look, pretty wood. I believe strawberry is another wood used. I have one pipe made of Osage Orange, made by Skip Elliot, that is very pretty but gets hot rather easily.

Reactions: kurtbob

pipestud

Preferred Member
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Interesting that you talked about alternative woods used to make pipes. Strawberry wood is actually a type of briar and it's become a really popular one due to its porosity. I was talking to Jeff Gracik just a few days ago on a Zoom meeting thing and he showed us a photo of a pipe he is making of Boxwood, which he says is really hard and porous and believes it will be a good one.

Spanu is now making pipes out of Lemon Wood and while I've never tried one, they look pretty cool.