PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JMcQ

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 9, 2019
Atlantic Beach, FL
I've seen pipes made out of a variety of different wood. Are there any wood types that a strict no-no for pipe making? What makes them a poor choice?

As I sit here, I wonder about the wood from a palm tree. Is it good for anything? ?

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
As mentioned, there are toxic woods and those that simply aren't hard/dense enough to withstand the heat/flame. Obviously, briar is the predominant choice. I have a couple of Morta pipes that look nice and smoke good. I've been told to steer away from Olive wood because it can get pretty hot. I do like how some of the Olive wood pipes look, pretty wood. I believe strawberry is another wood used. I have one pipe made of Osage Orange, made by Skip Elliot, that is very pretty but gets hot rather easily.

Reactions: kurtbob

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Interesting that you talked about alternative woods used to make pipes. Strawberry wood is actually a type of briar and it's become a really popular one due to its porosity. I was talking to Jeff Gracik just a few days ago on a Zoom meeting thing and he showed us a photo of a pipe he is making of Boxwood, which he says is really hard and porous and believes it will be a good one.

Spanu is now making pipes out of Lemon Wood and while I've never tried one, they look pretty cool.

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
Wasn't there a very creative pipe maker from Vietnam ( if I remember right) that did make pipes (and posted pics) from palm trees about a year ago here on the site?

Reactions: BROBS
Status
Not open for further replies.