PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
"I forgot about this Italian switchblade. A buddy gave it to me forty years ago. Its definitely not a "pocket knife". "

Any use for a new kidney Al? ;)

Regards,

Jay.

In 1999, we were headed to NYC for the first time ever. I jokingly told my wife that I was taking the switchblade for protection, and slipped it into a pocket of my carry back-pack. In the city, we left the hotel for a day in the city, hitting all the tourist spots. I was horrified to see at the entry to the Statue of Liberty/Staten Island, that they were checking back-packs, but it got thru without being noticed (I think this action must have been intiated by the first NYC WTC bombing). That evening, we went to the top of the Empire State Building. I saw they were not doing any security checks, so we bought two tickets. Halfway up, you changed elevators to to go the top. THERE, they were running all bags thru a scanner. I saw my knife plainly on the display, but the attendant paid it no attention. Whew, I would have hated to lose that knife! So, it no longer travels.

Apipeinthewoods

Might Stick Around
Jan 24, 2020
Dublin, Ireland
In 1999, we were headed to NYC for the first time ever....

You were lucky! Reminded me of a trip years ago when I brought my bag i normally use for cycling. I was in the airport and realised I still had an old normal butter knife that I use to change inner tubes.
I dumped the knife in a bin. My younger innocent self was sweating expecting security to come after me.

Reactions: bnichols23

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
In 1999, we were headed to NYC for the first time ever. I jokingly told my wife that I was taking the switchblade for protection, and slipped it into a pocket of my carry back-pack. In the city, we left the hotel for a day in the city, hitting all the tourist spots. I was horrified to see at the entry to the Statue of Liberty/Staten Island, that they were checking back-packs, but it got thru without being noticed (I think this action must have been intiated by the first NYC WTC bombing). That evening, we went to the top of the Empire State Building. I saw they were not doing any security checks, so we bought two tickets. Halfway up, you changed elevators to to go the top. THERE, they were running all bags thru a scanner. I saw my knife plainly on the display, but the attendant paid it no attention. Whew, I would have hated to lose that knife! So, it no longer travels.
Back before the covid-19, was at Atlanta, GA with family. I always carry three knives, but left my frame lock in the car and went to Coca Cola museum. They were checking everybody's bags and running handheld scanner. I volunteer my SAK mini champ. They didn't scan my GEC #71 x)

Reactions: bnichols23

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
My SOG key pen knife never gets a second glance at the TSA.

I lost a great Case peanut to the TSA in Hawaii. We ran out of luggage room coming home, so my wife said we'll each need to have a 2nd carry-on (free with Southwest). She said she put dirty laundry in mine, so when the TSA said they needed to check that bag, I was surprised and replied "dirty underwear" when they asked what was in it. My wife piped "and your toiletry bag"....which had my 10 year old Case pocketknife. We are already late for boarding, so I walked out to toss it and a guy disembarking walked by me. I asked if he wanted a Case pocketknife for Fathers Day, he said "sure" and there she went.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA

I lost a great Case peanut to the TSA in Hawaii. We ran out of luggage room coming home, so my wife said we'll each need to have a 2nd carry-on (free with Southwest). She said she put dirty laundry in mine, so when the TSA said they needed to check that bag, I was surprised and replied "dirty underwear" when they asked what was in it. My wife piped "and your toiletry bag"....which had my 10 year old Case pocketknife. We are already late for boarding, so I walked out to toss it and a guy disembarking walked by me. I asked if he wanted a Case pocketknife for Fathers Day, he said "sure" and there she went.
That bites. I guess there wasn't much options.

Reactions: Country Bladesmith
May 2, 2020
Louisiana

Sucks. At least someone might get some use out of it. I’ve heard some horror stories of family heirlooms getting lost to the TSA in similar fashion. I’ll refrain from getting into any political views on the subject. ?

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Another question: I have a large folding knife (Schrade, serial numbered) I used for hunting back in the late 70s/early 80s. The spring basically fell apart and now the knife is unusable. I would like to get the spring replaced. Any thoughts on how this might be done?

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Another question: I have a large folding knife (Schrade, serial numbered) I used for hunting back in the late 70s/early 80s. The spring basically fell apart and now the knife is unusable. I would like to get the spring replaced. Any thoughts on how this might be done?
Probably just push pins holding it together, depending on the model. It’s probably serviceable by you, but you might send an email to Schrade and ask about them doing it for you. They have a limited lifetime warranty.

Reactions: bullet08

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Never was a trad knife fan. Have 4 GEC #71, and I don't think they look all that traditional. Sure they are slip joints and work knives. Then "BAM!" This post is making me go nuts over GEC knives. Maybe I'm getting old and my taste in knives are changing.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Well, it was actually a little more infuriating.

When we checked in, one bag was overweight, and Southwest said it was a $75 charge. That is when we moved items to a carry on bag we had stuffed in a suitcase pocket (and the wife shoved my toiletry bag in), to avoid the charge.

When TSA saw the knife, they said that I could go back to my airline and they would secure it with my luggage. Keeping in mind, we're very near boarding time. So, I leave the secure terminal, sprint back to the Southwest check-in and tell them I need to check my pocket knife. They tell me I need a box, and perhaps one of the shops would give me one. I sprint from vendor to vendor and finally come up with a box. Sprint back to Southwest, wait in line again, get to the couter, and the attendant says "sure, we can check it, there is a $75 charge for an additional bag". That's when I threw in the towel and gave the knife to a disembarking passenger. Then, I had to go thru TSA again. When I got back to my gate, we were boarding. Whew.

That bites. I guess there wasn't much options.

coyja

Can't Leave
Feb 10, 2018
Spinning ball of dirt
Never was a trad knife fan. Have 4 GEC #71, and I don't think they look all that traditional. Sure they are slip joints and work knives. Then "BAM!" This post is making me go nuts over GEC knives. Maybe I'm getting old and my taste in knives are changing.
GEC 71 with new pants:
trOoEPk.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.