PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I’ve had nearly as many pocket cameras over the years as I’ve had pipes, shotguns, watches, and books.

Yes, I have the same excellent pocket camera in my phone as we all have, but I like a real camera to take pictures with.

I thought Olympus made the perfect pocket cameras, until I paid $150 in a pawn shop for this 2014 model Sony a5000 with a 16-50 kit lens.

This little camera takes big pictures.

View attachment 204141View attachment 204142View attachment 204143View attachment 204144View attachment 204147View attachment 204148View attachment 204150View attachment 204152View attachment 204153

The Sony a5000 used a 20mp APS-C sensor, and might be the smallest, handiest full featured large sensor interchangeable lens digital pocket camera ever made.

I’m keeping my big Canon 7D mk 2 and my Olympus gear.

But this is going to live in my jacket pocket.
$150 sounds like a great bargain for that camera, but at that price I have to wonder how many activations it has had, quite a few I would imagine.

Regards,

Jay.

Reactions: Briar Lee

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Some years ago my Mother bought me an Olympus XA2 clamshell camera which was a phenomenal picture taker as well as being a true 'pocket camera'. I so wish I still had it as they're highly collectable these days.

Regards,

Jay.

Reactions: warren

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I had several pocket cameras perfect for travel with no extra lenses or other gear, just that little package that fit under my jacket on a strap and took great pictures. I confess, digital ended my photography obsession. I guess I was addicted to celluloid, the smell, the shutter snap, the rewinding, the wait to see the results. Apparently all that was part of the magic of the images. Now that everyone photographs everything and a billion images ascend to the cloud ... it isn't the same product or experience. I just flip through the photo album of my brain and enjoy that. I see "photos" all the time; I just don't take them.

• Love
Reactions: UB 40

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
What makes you guys think,” that you “loose light” using a crop on a full frame sensor, if I understand the topic correctly? Same lens, same aperture, same focal distance, you just loose a certain amount pixel.

The focal length won’t be the same. You can set it the same in some cases, and that point was made earlier, too. But if I put my 50mm f1.2 that’s designed for a full frame camera on a crop body, I can no longer shoot at 50mm or f1.2. It becomes a slower 75mm.

If I’m using a zoom lens and have the range, I can set the effective focal distance to be the same (my 24-70 becomes a 36-105 on the crop body, so I can play with the overlapping 36-70), and work on the aperture to make them similar, but it comes at a loss of performance. That’s why I was saying IF you can get all of the settings to be similar, you will have a far more difficult time determining which photo came from which body, but the resolution will become a factor as an artifact of sensor size. This may not matter to folks who are content with looking at their images on a phone, or screen-optimized images on a monitor, but if you intend to print them at any size more than about 5x7, you’ll notice a substantial change in image quality.

You can use as much ISO as you need and may not be able to tell a difference (regardless of which processor you’re using) but it’s there - it can’t not be. Under ideal circumstances, of course you can get great results in crop mode or with higher ISO. Modern technology helps out tremendously in these areas, but it will have an effect at some point.

The rule of thumb is that the lower the ISO, the better the image quality. This is irrespective of a body’s processor. Expeed is great (even though it’s decidedly not the best processor available), but boosting ISO doesn’t change the fact that you’re introducing noise into an image. The processor can only compensate so much; a slower shutter speed and wider aperture are always preferred.

Also, in most cases when you switch your full frame camera into crop mode, it’s boosting ISO (adding noise) to compensate AND you’re losing 1/3 of the available pixels (reducing resolution). It’s a cool feature, but under most circumstances, you can literally watch the image quality degrade in the EVF. I do find it worthwhile when I’m using manual focus and want to get a closer look, but I’ll rely on post-processing to do my cropping. Why give up the resolution before I know if I need to, or not?

This is why folks are willing to pay more money for full frame cameras with dedicated full frame lenses. Crops are great, and for what they do, they’re incredible; but they can’t match the image quality of a full frame sensor.

But at the end of the day, who cares? It’s all semantics. They’re getting so good that you can barely tell the difference between a full frame photo and a crop sensor photo with the naked eye. Unless you’re pixel counting and looking for the tackiest photo possible, doing it as a profession, or you’re just a very passionate hobbyist who is willing to make the investment, save your money. I’m selling my full frame stuff. I love it and it takes incredible photographs, but APS-C is too good these days and I’m tired of lugging all of the gear through the woods to shoot full frame.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Some years ago my Mother bought me an Olympus XA2 clamshell camera which was a phenomenal picture taker as well as being a true 'pocket camera'. I so wish I still had it as they're highly collectable these days.

Regards,

Jay.
Somewhere, I still have one - used to put it in a sandwich bag and toss it in a tackle bag for fishing trips, lol.

Hands down the best little compact camera I have is a Konica Auto S3. Bought it new in the box when I found one in a camera store (it was pretty old by then but in mint condition). It had a wonderful f1.8 lens and a terrific exposure meter, took hundreds of pics of my girls growing up with that (I quit using my SLR for most of their pics after I got it). Sadly, the digital era marched forward!

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
Film prices are almost prohibitive now. I like shooting it, but I shutter (😉) to think how much it’d cost to shoot half as many shots on film in a day as I do with digital. That’s without factoring in the cost of development.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
View attachment 204333

This is my pocket camera, loaded with 35mm black and white film.
Please explain me something.

See that tiny lens, on a tiny camera?

Why can’t optical engineers today design the same tiny lenses and bodies for exactly the same size digital sensor as they did film sensors sixty years ago?

Leica still makes tiny full frame lenses.

Why can’t others?

Reactions: UB 40

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Film prices are almost prohibitive now. I like shooting it, but I shutter (😉) to think how much it’d cost to shoot half as many shots on film in a day as I do with digital. That’s without factoring in the cost of development.
Film is cool as all get out, might still have a tiny bit better tonal graduation, but my 2004 Canon Rebel XT overall equaled 35mm film for IQ and today modern digital cameras, even in this phone, are better than 35mm film.

I still use my Canon AE-1 I’ve owned forty years.

As a stunt.

I like the moan of a carburetor too, trying to suck a hole in the hood.

But digital fuel injectors and digital sensors won the war.:)

Reactions: BarrelProof

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
Please explain me something.

See that tiny lens, on a tiny camera?

Why can’t optical engineers today design the same tiny lenses and bodies for exactly the same size digital sensor as they did film sensors sixty years ago?

Leica still makes tiny full frame lenses.

Why can’t others?

Because AF is the rage.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
Film is cool as all get out, might still have a tiny bit better tonal graduation, but my 2004 Canon Rebel XT overall equaled 35mm film for IQ and today modern digital cameras, even in this phone, are better than 35mm film.

I still use my Canon AE-1 I’ve owned forty years.

As a stunt.

I like the moan of a carburetor too, trying to suck a hole in the hood.

But digital fuel injectors and digital sensors won the war.:)

100%. It’s all nostalgia now. And there is something soothing about hearing the shutter release. I just can’t be bothered with it anymore. But I do love that Ektar blue.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I've been messing with photography since I set up my first B&W darkroom in 1970. I had a hard time finding anything I liked about digital at first, and still do to some extent. Now I have found some digital stuff I like playing with. For a few years I have been using a Fujifilm X-100 for general photography, but I felt the need for other focal length lenses after a while. Now I have added an Olympus E-P1, and a E-P5 with some other lenses. My go to fun lenses are the Olympus lens cap 9mm f8 fisheye lens and a 7artisans 25mm f1.8 purely mechanical lens, and with a Nikon lens adapter, a whole lot of my old Nikkor lenses. The P1 with Olympus fisheye lens definitely qualifies as a pocket camera, and was super cheap. Takes pretty damn fun photos like this too.

DB15A4D1-C7C9-4223-A3C6-9BECAE2116A3_1_201_a.jpeg

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Because it harkened back to the little Konica rangefinder I loved, a few years ago I picked up a Fuji x100f digital rangefinder. It is so good the last couple of times we went on a couple trips across the pond I took it as my only camera. Used my SLR and took a couple lenses on a Cali coastline and redwoods trip a couple years ago, but the little Fuji is an awesome camera and great for “street” and pub and anything you can see through the viewfinder will be great. Only limitations are with landscapes.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Full disclosure for the Sony a5000.

To shrink the 16-50 to a pancake size for a $100 kit lens Sony had to use heavy computing power to correct all the optical flaws. Raw sucks and jpeg is not for pixel peepers. Best results are at f8 35mm.

There’s no PASM dial, no function buttons, no touch screen, no IBIS. It’s a little computer box that accepts E lenses.

It’s all plastic. Don’t drop it.

The flash is tiny. There’s no hot shoe.

Any Sony G lens costs several times what my entire little camera and lens are worth.

That said, you can spin the one dial and punch buttons to control aperture, shutter speed, and ISO.

Think of it as a Sony version of an Olympus Pen Mini PM-1

It’s a lot of fun to shoot.

Jan 27, 2020
Photography has certainly suffered from all the visual static produced by the use of digital cameras and the lack of cost resulting in image after image which lack any deliberate approach.

I still have a bunch of Cibachrome prints which I printed in the late 90s that look exceptionally vibrant very much living up to being the most archival format. Sadly, most labs trashed their Cibachrome machines in the early 00s so it's nearly impossible to find a lab to print them.

Reactions: UB 40 and Briar Lee

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I've been messing with photography since I set up my first B&W darkroom in 1970. I had a hard time finding anything I liked about digital at first, and still do to some extent. Now I have found some digital stuff I like playing with. For a few years I have been using a Fujifilm X-100 for general photography, but I felt the need for other focal length lenses after a while. Now I have added an Olympus E-P1, and a E-P5 with some other lenses. My go to fun lenses are the Olympus lens cap 9mm f8 fisheye lens and a 7artisans 25mm f1.8 purely mechanical lens, and with a Nikon lens adapter, a whole lot of my old Nikkor lenses. The P1 with Olympus fisheye lens definitely qualifies as a pocket camera, and was super cheap. Takes pretty damn fun photos like this too.

View attachment 204355
I’ve had all the Olympus MFT cameras, from the PL-1 through the OMD M5 Mk 2 except I’ve not yet owned a P1 or P2.

The very best bang for the buck, hands down, was the Olympus OMD M10.2.

The first really super good one was the original M5, then the original M1 was even better.

But in daylight there is a certain PL-1 “look” in JPEG Oly hasn’t quite ever duplicated yet.

Adapted Canon Fast Fifty on PL1 (first attempt at adapted lenses)
745C1049-54CA-4088-8951-3E0C84D14BEB.jpeg
E6D40B89-1A3E-43A1-8BE0-9D540A2419C2.jpeg

17mm Oly pancake on PL1

1AC4911C-5473-4F99-B6B2-CA16B8794A12.jpeg

PL-1 with kit lens
A6EF2B06-0262-4B21-AB72-CCFD14D62136.jpeg

Olympus started pocketable mirrorless cameras, with the P-1.

The newer ones are cooler, more features, better sensors and more capable.

But in ISO 200 light it’s hard to really do much better than the first Olympus MFT cameras.

Reactions: danish

UB 40

Lifer
Jul 7, 2022
Cologne/ Germany
nahbesprechung.net
Photography has certainly suffered from all the visual static produced by the use of digital cameras and the lack of cost resulting in image after image which lack any deliberate approach.

I still have a bunch of Cibachrome prints which I printed in the late 90s that look exceptionally vibrant very much living up to being the most archival format. Sadly, most labs trashed their Cibachrome machines in the early 00s so it's nearly impossible to find a lab to print them.
Cibachrome was unbeaten. Sad it’s not done any more.

Jan 27, 2020
Cibachrome was unbeaten. Sad it’s not done any more.

Yea, I agree. The saturation was insane but printing was a real pain as you need to use one more filter in the enlarger, if I remember correctly but it's been so long... I took a class here in NYC at the International Center of Photography when I was 19 or so. Once, I went to a lab in NJ around that time and asked if they did Cibachrome and they told me the actually threw out their machine a week earlier. I probably would of tired to put it in my Mom's garage at the time.