PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I’ve had nearly as many pocket cameras over the years as I’ve had pipes, shotguns, watches, and books.

Yes, I have the same excellent pocket camera in my phone as we all have, but I like a real camera to take pictures with.

I thought Olympus made the perfect pocket cameras, until I paid $150 in a pawn shop for this 2014 model Sony a5000 with a 16-50 kit lens.

This little camera takes big pictures.

42582443-99AD-4BE2-B46F-61630601BDA9.jpeg8FAD881A-1CF1-48D9-B8D7-8C9D527B2D41.jpeg02A33786-3C6D-4BE8-A6E4-FB476A3BD085.jpeg592AF395-48F9-4FBE-BCA0-F1B67888F828.jpeg083EEBF8-E04F-46CA-A9FC-1E032AC5AC65.jpeg4BDF31BC-EE48-4CCF-A5F7-E4F46A7CA445.jpegF69C85C5-EB6C-4A3A-99FB-C1CDCA3DB68F.jpeg437AFF09-8475-4FEA-A238-EC2EE114A6F6.jpegE1571EBC-871E-4D0C-88A2-B48BFC0ED6CA.jpeg

The Sony a5000 used a 20mp APS-C sensor, and might be the smallest, handiest full featured large sensor interchangeable lens digital pocket camera ever made.

I’m keeping my big Canon 7D mk 2 and my Olympus gear.

But this is going to live in my jacket pocket.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
The Canon Sx260 with 20x Zoom was one camera favored by Nature photographers as a pocket camera for quick shots while walking in and out of nature with their larger equipment. It used to sell at Target for about $160 new. About the size of a standard bar of soap. Great digital camera and zoom. Good find on yours !

Is that the Humansville Courthouse ?

Reactions: Briar Lee

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
I’ve had nearly as many pocket cameras over the years as I’ve had pipes, shotguns, watches, and books.

Yes, I have the same excellent pocket camera in my phone as we all have, but I like a real camera to take pictures with.

I thought Olympus made the perfect pocket cameras, until I paid $150 in a pawn shop for this 2014 model Sony a5000 with a 16-50 kit lens.

View attachment 204141View attachment 204142View attachment 204143View attachment 204144View attachment 204147View attachment 204148View attachment 204150View attachment 204152View attachment 204153

The Sony a5000 used a 20mp APS-C sensor, and might be the smallest, handiest full featured large sensor interchangeable lens digital pocket camera ever made.

Their entire line of mirrorless crops is incredible. I’ve got an A6600 that rides with the A1 and I love the thing.

C0034D12-903D-4877-8306-614295D1DA77.jpeg

Jan 27, 2020
I carry a Konica Hexar AF which is likely the quietest film camera ever made.

I don't think a camera that requires a case qualifies as a "pocket camera".

Jan 27, 2020
Stopped using camera. Phone actually does well to compete with cameras from few years ago. SLR would be nice to have. But I'll have to plan for carrying it.

Well, it's a nice exercise to leave the house without your phone... reall gives one a mental break. I often go out for hours with just my film camera, wallet, mp3 player, Nintendo Switch, camcorder and walking stick.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I carry a Konica Hexar AF which is likely the quietest film camera ever made.

I don't think a camera that requires a case qualifies as a "pocket camera".
My Sony is a “jacket pocket camera” not a jeans pocket one.:)

I admit this phone is every inch as good a still camera in broad daylight and it’s waaaaay better as a video camera.

A real camera allows for shutter therapy.

My Sony lets me set aperture, shutter speed and film speed (even though the camera could do it better) and it has a really cool lens I can remove, you know?

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
The Canon Sx260 with 20x Zoom was one camera favored by Nature photographers as a pocket camera for quick shots while walking in and out of nature with their larger equipment. It used to sell at Target for about $160 new. About the size of a standard bar of soap. Great digital camera and zoom. Good find on yours !

Is that the Humansville Courthouse ?

The pictures of the grand building are of the Missouri State Capitol. It’s one of the most photogenic in the United States, built to mimic the US Capitol in 1915.

I’ve had nice cameras for years, without learning to really use the features on them.

What sparked my current love of amateur photography was a $20 used Canon SX 150 I bought in 2016.

4FE22116-9ADB-4FBE-9673-3AE522566C5B.jpeg

The Canon SX series pocket cameras had PASM controls, excellent photo quality, and were among the best “point and shoot” pocket cameras ever sold.

But I put down my point and shoot cameras when I bought my first Olympus PL-1 with a 14-42 kit lens used for $100.

20BFE6C4-273C-4520-82EB-1BAA025418D7.jpeg

My tiny Sony has the same large APS-C sensor my huge and capable Canon 7D Mk 2 uses.

A51B453A-C541-4D46-A239-3539FCB4B6CF.jpeg

Photography isn’t about great photographs. You can make those on your phone.

It’s about the toys you always wanted , you know?

Last edited:

lraisch

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 4, 2011
Granite Falls, Washington state

View attachment 204141View attachment 204142View attachment 204143View attachment 204144View attachment 204147View attachment 204148View attachment 204150View attachment 204152View attachment 204153

Great pictures. I carried an Olympus XA for many years when I traveled for business. Whenever I got a chance to slip away, I would turn a work trip into a photo expedition.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
No doubt there are more still photos and videos taken on excellent quality cell phones than can be easily calculated.

But let’s suppose you’d like to take up the hobby of amateur photgraphy, with a brand new camera and lens.

As much as I love my new little Sony, I’d still recommend a new OMD (Olympus) M-10 Mk 4 with kit lens for a new interchangeable lens camera if you want one and don’t have one.

The best reason for OMD (formerly Olympus) cameras is that fast primes like the Panasonic 25mm are so cheap and excellent.

1839630E-582D-4AE1-90B2-085BECAF5F47.jpeg

The excellent 40-150 Olympus is also cheap, about $200 new and half that used.

1B210FAF-4DBE-49AC-AFFA-18B1058CC763.jpeg

The Sony and other APS-C cameras use the same size lenses as full frame.

In ten years I doubt there will be any APS-C cameras, as cheap as full frame digital sensors are getting. Full frame is better. Why save a few dollars for second best?

The Micro Four Thirds cameras are purposely smaller. If they were shotguns they’d be twenty gauges.

But for starting out used with a capable pocketable real camera, it’s hard to beat the old Sony a5000 and a5100 series cameras with a kit lens.

Sony lenses are so extremely expensive, it’s likely best to carry one until it breaks and buy another.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
No doubt there are more still photos and videos taken on excellent quality cell phones than can be easily calculated.

But let’s suppose you’d like to take up the hobby of amateur photgraphy, with a brand new camera and lens.

As much as I love my new little Sony, I’d still recommend a new OMD (Olympus) M-10 Mk 4 with kit lens for a new interchangeable lens camera if you want one and don’t have one.

The best reason for OMD (formerly Olympus) cameras is that fast primes like the Panasonic 25mm are so cheap and excellent.

View attachment 204308

The excellent 40-150 Olympus is also cheap, about $200 new and half that used.

View attachment 204309

The Sony and other APS-C cameras use the same size lenses as full frame.

In ten years I doubt there will be any APS-C cameras, as cheap as full frame digital sensors are getting. Full frame is better. Why save a few dollars for second best?

The Micro Four Thirds cameras are purposely smaller. If they were shotguns they’d be twenty gauges.

But for starting out used with a capable pocketable real camera, it’s hard to beat the old Sony a5000 and a5100 series cameras with a kit lens.

Sony lenses are so extremely expensive, it’s likely best to carry one until it breaks and buy another.

There’s no way that Fuji isn’t around in 10 years and there’s also no way they aren’t making crops.

And Sony mirrorless cameras have the same mount, and although they can be interchangeable, there are FE lenses that are designed for their full frame cameras and E lenses that are designed for crop sensors. Since you probably know a few things about this, you’re aware of the crop factor which somewhat degrades image quality by using a full frame lens on a crop camera and vice versa. I don’t see crop sensors going away any time soon. Perhaps they will get cheaper, but they certainly have their place.

And, to the average consumer, it doesn’t matter - crop sensors are good enough because most people don’t know what to look for in image quality and couldn’t tell you the difference in which camera took the photo after it’s been through post.

For example - without looking at the data, tell me which was which:

6A6530FB-FBEF-450C-B95E-FB7E2841E948.jpeg

D086EA50-A6B2-4B3F-BA0F-EC98B41B0D09.jpeg

Having said all of that, you definitely picked up a great camera at a great price. The kit lenses are great, but for a $150 entry, I’d be looking for a dedicated walk-around lens in the G/GM series. You won’t be disappointed (even though I’m positive that you won’t be disappointed with it as it’s currently setup).

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
There’s no way that Fuji isn’t around in 10 years and there’s also no way they aren’t making crops.

And Sony mirrorless cameras have the same mount, and although they can be interchangeable, there are FE lenses that are designed for their full frame cameras and E lenses that are designed for crop sensors. Since you probably know a few things about this, you’re aware of the crop factor which somewhat degrades image quality by using a full frame lens on a crop camera and vice versa. I don’t see crop sensors going away any time soon. Perhaps they will get cheaper, but they certainly have their place.

And, to the average consumer, it doesn’t matter - crop sensors are good enough because most people don’t know what to look for in image quality and couldn’t tell you the difference in which camera took the photo after it’s been through post.

For example - without looking at the data, tell me which was which:

View attachment 204315

View attachment 204316

Having said all of that, you definitely picked up a great camera at a great price. The kit lenses are great, but for a $150 entry, I’d be looking for a dedicated walk-around lens in the G/GM series. You won’t be disappointed (even though I’m positive that you won’t be disappointed with it as it’s currently setup).

My crystal ball is forever hazy, but someday Nikon or Canon will sell a $500 full frame body and then nature will take its course on the crop sensor APS-C. Maybe the last one made will be for sports and wildlife.

Every mount today on the market was designed to take legacy 35mm film lenses. Making a lens the size to cover a 35mm sensor is easy, there have been countless millions made, for nearly a century. Except for the ridiculously high cost of full frame digital sensors twenty some years ago there never would have been the first APS-C.

The one advantage APS-C cameras have is a 1.5 multiplication factor. A 70-200 lens is a 105-300 on my Canon 7D Mk 2.

But my OMD-M5 Mk2 has a 75-300 lens that has the view of a 150-600mm lens, plus over five stops of stabilization in the camera body.

OMD just released a new OM-5, much improved over mine.

0149C9D4-831A-477B-BD14-524E600028DA.jpeg

What makes MFT Olympus cameras such incredible small pocket cameras is the 20mm Pansonic f1.7 pancake.

Here is a 2010 PL-1 (3 stops IBIS) at a night parade in front of my office.

213F792A-5A5F-4233-80F2-92CA2694923F.jpeg

80E4D817-0EC4-4C87-92E8-E2A3155043EF.jpeg

The local newspaper thought I was a professional photographer.

In reality I grabbed a $50 camera body with a $150 pancake and got lucky.:)

Reactions: BarrelProof

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
Advantage or disadvantage? You lose light when you put a full frame lens on a crop sensor. You can accomplish the same thing with a teleconverter on your full frame body and full frame lens, again at the cost of light. My 200-600 on the A6600 is noticeably different than on my A1. But, if I put a crop lens on my crop body and shoot with as many of the settings set the same as on the A1 with a full frame lens, the images become more difficult to differentiate.

And then there’s micro four-thirds. I have one in a bridge/superzoom and while it’s insanely impressive in what it can do with its zoom, it’s just not the same level of image quality I’ve come to know and expect. But it does zoom like nothing I’ve ever seen, my spotting scope included. I think it gets to a 3000mm focal length and then adds like 10x of optical zoom on top of that. Obviously the image quality is trash at that level, but it is all sorts of fun to use it to scope out moose about 2 miles away and be able to tell how many points they have.

It’s all personal preference. I wouldn’t call the crop factor an advantage, but I would call the smaller body and lighter weight a significant advantage over their full frame counterparts.

That said, my next camera system will be the Fuji X-HS2. I love the idea of it for shooting birds. It’s fast, has a fast AF, and it’s lightweight. If I turn out photos that (to my eye) are even remotely close to the A1, it’s a no-brainer and I’ll dump everything except the Fuji.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I don' know your definition of "pocket camera but, a mirrorless DSLR, interchangeable lenses, hardly fits that description. Well, unless you've got oversized pockets.

Every mount today on the market was designed to take legacy 35mm film lenses
Not true at all. Nikon was close but, the new lenses for mirriorless required a mount, bigger in diameter with more computer contacts for the brand I use. But, adapters allow older, faster with near flawless glass and wide apertures to be fitted.

I acknowledge you don't make moneys with your cameras, I do. I sometimes cropped shots to four feet with width with the second measurement in proportion required for the shot I wish to sell.

You omitted the quality of the glass and the internal software in the latest DSLR cameras. Also the "in-camera" processing. The best "grab/pocket" camera I owned until my various iPhones was an Olympus, an XA, if memory serves. It was "full frame', used film and fit in a shirt pocket, no neck strap. It was a true "pocket" or "grab" camera.

Camers for serious amateurs and professionals are two entirely different animals. Again, your generaliztions can lead some readers astray. Cameras for tourists and such are designed for lightness and ease of use. Top of the line bodies and glass are very different with very different results intended.

You lose light when you put a full frame lens on a crop sensor.

I can change my camera bodies to a couple of "crop" modes which, in effect "lengthens" the lens. The lose of light, or additional ISO, is handled extremely well by the "Expeed" software in the camera body. So extremely high ISO speeds are rarely a consideration. Hell, I've shot evening shots in excess of 12,000 with very satisfactory results. Only one brand has "Expeed" processing and, in my opinion, no other brand comes close. Even my competitors, using the other PRO camera, are envious of "Expeed.". They may catch up in a generation or so. Who knows?

To close, the gear may help to make a great but, it's what's between ears. And, how big you intend the finished photo to be. The gear controls contrast, color, color saturation, etc. Seeing the "picture" amongst all the clutter is the great separator between a snapshot and a photograph.

Oh, and if you're not there you ... missed the shot!

UB 40

Lifer
Jul 7, 2022
Cologne/ Germany
nahbesprechung.net
What makes you guys think,” that you “loose light” using a crop on a full frame sensor, if I understand the topic correctly? Same lens, same aperture, same focal distance, you just loose a certain amount pixel.