PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

NightShayde

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2021
Georgia
flatline2beatline.com
Okay... I have reviewed Seattle Pipe Club's Plum Pudding here before and I stated I did not like it at all. Today, my fiancee told me to try it again. Once I opened the tin, I noticed an immediate different tin note and it was very moist. Come to find out that 1 month ago she put whiskey in the bottom of the tin and allowed the tobacco to absorb it. Once I lit it up, there was a huge difference insomuch that by the time I finished a very small amount of it, I was loopy. Granted I do not drink alcohol so I am a lightweight. However, the overall taste became actually quite pleasant and boy it cuts the edge off. Thought I would share that experience with you all.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
We’ve replaced his plum pudding with Folgers crystals. Let’s see if he notices.

140207_2722591_Foldgers_Crystals_anvver_2.jpg

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
Okay... I have reviewed Seattle Pipe Club's Plum Pudding here before and I stated I did not like it at all. Today, my fiancee told me to try it again. Once I opened the tin, I noticed an immediate different tin note and it was very moist. Come to find out that 1 month ago she put whiskey in the bottom of the tin and allowed the tobacco to absorb it. Once I lit it up, there was a huge difference insomuch that by the time I finished a very small amount of it, I was loopy. Granted I do not drink alcohol so I am a lightweight. However, the overall taste became actually quite pleasant and boy it cuts the edge off. Thought I would share that experience with you all.
Rest assured the loopy had nothing to do with the whiskey.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
I think @BarrelProof stoved some and had great results. Plum Pudding in all its iterations is a magnificent blend.

OP have you tried the bourbon barrel aged version that came out a while back?

Correct. I stoved the SR version, though. To be fair, I loved it before stoving it, but after reading about other successes home stoving, I threw some in the oven. It didn't change the flavor too much, just made it more pronounced. Deeper and richer, if you will. Won't be my last time doing it.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I figured the alcohol would be effectively gone after holding a flame to it; but, I don't know for sure. I just drink the stuff.
nope it would vaporize it. And then it could be absorbed through the mouth. Though to feel much one would have to be really sensitive our it would have to be drenched. For a long time people thought cooking would remove the alcohol and now it's been shown that's not really the case. However since it's in food it takes a longer time to enter into the blood stream so pretty much the same basic end result.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I didn't care for my first tin of Plum Pudding when I had it 5 years or so ago, but I bought a tin to revisit it last month and am enjoying it more, but I dunno... I kind of feel like it is not as flavorful as a blend with its components could or should be. Whether it is too much Latakia that dominates everything, or maybe the Oriental and VAs aren't creating quite enough contrasting flavors to bounce off of... I do know I prefer zestier, more Oriental heavy Latakia blends. I'm not mad at Plum Pudding. I just don't think it's one of my favorite blends. Penzance, Ahab's Comfort and Bengal Slices are all vastly more appealing to my palate despite their similarities with PP. Just my two cents... I have been curious to try the bourbonized version just to see how it compares to the old Frog's Cellar.

jrharrigan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 27, 2020
Plum pudding to me is crap. I honestly have gave all of it away. Complete junk. But that’s just my opinion. Others like it.

I'm with you, Chuck. I fully expected to love the blend, but after that last bowl I cannot imagine ever buying it again. Whatever I have left of it will be trade bait. How many more posts until I am trade eligible?

One fewer now, anyway.

Heypat

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 7, 2020
Shelby township Michigan, 48315
Thanks for the share, plumb pudding is one on my favorites. I have a few pounds in the cellar, I will try adding some bourbon to a small amount to see how it changes the blend. I have been blending my own krumble cake English/Balkan blend with bourbon for the last year and I really enjoy it. I am looking forward to comparing the 2 to see which one I enjoy more.

Status
Not open for further replies.