Please Show Us your Hand Tied Bugs/Flies!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

12 Fresh Estate Pipes
18 Fresh Rossi Pipes
2 Fresh Pete Prevost Pipes
9 Fresh Bruno Nuttens Pipes
New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Gavrin

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 1, 2021
Idaho
It's been some years since I have fly fished but I too did fly tying. Your fly looks pretty good there. Tell you what. When I was first learning to tie flies I made the worst looking fly ever. HOWEVER I caught the biggest bass ever on that fly... I remember tossing it into the lake thinking, what the heck lets see and WHAM! Fly tying is quite relaxing. I still all have all my tools and stuff for it. Maybe one day ...

Dan-o$

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 2, 2021
Gardnerville, Nevada
This thread has surprisingly brought back so many memories of trout fishing with my old man as a kid. We haven’t bothered to go for over a decade as the lake was overfished. I’ve been thinking about going this year with him, thanks for the inspiration
I go fishing with my dad all the time... although he has been gone a long time.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
It's been some years since I have fly fished but I too did fly tying. Your fly looks pretty good there. Tell you what. When I was first learning to tie flies I made the worst looking fly ever. HOWEVER I caught the biggest bass ever on that fly... I remember tossing it into the lake thinking, what the heck lets see and WHAM! Fly tying is quite relaxing. I still all have all my tools and stuff for it. Maybe one day ...
the best fly tying person I knew in terms of catching fish and catching impressive fish. Well they made the ugliest looking flies. They said you have to think what can a fish see. I don't know how they knew that.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Yep, I tied for bass and bluegill - I thought I tied some decent stuff, but always felt like I had some margin for error vs. the trout or salmon fly fishers, lol. Nothing more satisfying than catching one on a fly I tied and a rod I put together! Went on my first guided fly fishing trip in the Black Hills a couple of summers ago and caught my first brown (and a beauty) on the tiniest little fly in a tiny little stream you wouldn't think had fish in it - FUN!