PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

BriarBrook

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 8, 2022
Missouri
Relatively new piper here... only been going regularly for the last year or so. I am predominately an aro smoker. I do a lot of sutliff vanilla custard, lane very cherry, and other heavily cased chocolates. One thing I notice is that half way through, the taste converts to a noticeably nutty, earthy flavor, away from whatever the tobacco is doused in (cherry, vanilla, and so on). I really enjoy this flavor that all of the aros I smoke seem to transition to. My initial thought was that this flavor is the base all of the tobaccos share, which I assumed to be burley. I am TERRIBLE about identifying notes, tastes, etc in my smokes. Following this assumption, I purchased some tins of 8 state burley, hoping for a pipeful of whatever I was getting in the last half of all the aros I smoke. THIS WAS NOT WHAT I GOT. Did not enjoy 8SB at all.

All of this being said, can anyone point me in the right direction? Is it burley, and I just started with the wrong blend? Or is it another tobacco? thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: chopper

OldWill

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 9, 2022
Blanco, Texas
Very likely you are tasting the black cavendish which is often made with Maryland or Virginia tobaccos.
You're right to notice that ESB has none of that.
Anyway, black cavendish, in aromatics, usually also contains humectants (including propylene glycol). Many people describe their flavors as "Hostess Twinkie".
You'll probably find such background flavors in a wide range of aromatics.

Reactions: frozenchurchwarden

BriarBrook

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 8, 2022
Missouri
Very likely you are tasting the black cavendish which is often made with Maryland or Virginia tobaccos.
You're right to notice that ESB has none of that.
Anyway, black cavendish, in aromatics, usually also contains humectants (including propylene glycol). Many people describe their flavors as "Hostess Twinkie".
You'll probably find such background flavors in a wide range of aromatics.
thanks... would there be any straight black cavendish blends that encapsulate that pure flavor? Without the added flavors?

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Relatively new piper here... only been going regularly for the last year or so. I am predominately an aro smoker. I do a lot of sutliff vanilla custard, lane very cherry, and other heavily cased chocolates. One thing I notice is that half way through, the taste converts to a noticeably nutty, earthy flavor, away from whatever the tobacco is doused in (cherry, vanilla, and so on). I really enjoy this flavor that all of the aros I smoke seem to transition to. My initial thought was that this flavor is the base all of the tobaccos share, which I assumed to be burley. I am TERRIBLE about identifying notes, tastes, etc in my smokes. Following this assumption, I purchased some tins of 8 state burley, hoping for a pipeful of whatever I was getting in the last half of all the aros I smoke. THIS WAS NOT WHAT I GOT. Did not enjoy 8SB at all.

All of this being said, can anyone point me in the right direction? Is it burley, and I just started with the wrong blend? Or is it another tobacco? thank you!
sounds pretty spot on. Before you said it, I was thinking the man is talking about burly. Try a couple burly blends. Including five brothers. It's one of my almost daily smokes. And yeah from what I have heard you started with the wrong blend. Though there are lots of great things to try even in the narrower confines of straight or nearly straight burly.

Reactions: kcghost

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma

8 State Burley has a good portion of Oriental tobaccos in it, so I'd recommend trying something with more Burley and no Orientals.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands

I'm sure it's burley.
Mac Baren's Golden Blend or HH Burley Flake are pure burley blends without topping.
Amphora Full Aroma is a burley based aromatic that's probably a bit lighter on the topping than the ones you are used to.

Reactions: chopper and Ahi Ka

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Yes I'd agree it's not the burley you are having an issue with. I got excited when I heard about 8 state burley, untill I realized that there seemed to be very little burley in it. Atleast for my tastes. I believe burley gets overpowered quickly by things like Latakia, Virginia's, and even cavendish. So if you are looking to try burley blends, my suggestion would be to avoid other condiment leaves.

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
I'd advise trying a lightly topped codger Burley, like Carter Hall or Sir Walter Raleigh (non aromatic) and see if they are more akin to your taste, along with some unflavored black cavendish so you can see what the tobacco itself tastes like, without the heavy casing and toppings of the aromatics you are smoking. Then you can branch out from there if you like what you taste. And smoke it SLOW, so it doesn't overheat and taste like hot nasty. Same goes for any tobacco.

BriarBrook

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 8, 2022
Missouri
Thanks for the replies... I think I will do as suggested and pick up some straight burley and straight black cavendish. Hopefully, that will nail things down. Thinking C&D Black Cavendish and maybe Pegasus?

Reactions: chopper and Ahi Ka

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Pegasus is an excellent choice. I’m not sure what C&Ds black cavendish is, but if it is the same as their natural green river burley cavendish, then you will be able to taste that in the Pegasus blend, and could even portion some out to smoke by itself.

if you have the budget and motivation, id consider a nutty OTC/codger burley blend and some bulk Macbaren golden extra (same as golden blend), along side the Pegasus. That would give you a good idea of the different directions simple burley blends can go in.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
I thought “burley base” from the description, then again I don’t smoke aromatics other than Lakelands, and black Cavendish tastes like hot air to me. Straight burley with a bit of sweetening (a bit, not drenched) is a very nice smoke from time to time.

Aomalley27

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 8, 2021
Chicagoland area
I don’t get “nutty” from black Cavendish.
Is the flavor more “grilled corn”??? If so, it’s burley. Most American Aromatics use burley as a base, most Cavendish in the States is also processed using Burley; vs European blends that use Virginia to make their Cavendish.

Reactions: chopper

Epip Oc'Cabot

Can't Leave
Oct 11, 2019
Thanks for the replies... I think I will do as suggested and pick up some straight burley and straight black cavendish. Hopefully, that will nail things down. Thinking C&D Black Cavendish and maybe Pegasus?

Mike’s idea of a “codger” burley like SWR (original) or Prince Albert (regular) may be exactly what you are wishing….. both have a “nutty” aspect and are pleasant (and relatively inexpensive). Carter Hall could also be an option, though in my experience, CH sometimes exhibits an unpleasant (to me) peppery taste/feel.

Reactions: mikefu

n_irwin

Can't Leave
Apr 15, 2022
Oklahoma, USA
If you end up liking the cavendish, you could give Mac Baren Black Ambrosia a shot. It’s a Virginia cavendish with a bit of topping

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
You might want to also try experimenting by mixing some Black Cavendish with Burley codger blends like Carter Hall.
Have you tried Butternut Burley? [Get the 4noggins version - much cheaper than the Scottys BB]
One of my favourite aromatics.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Whatever blend you might be trying out, or forget the makeup of it, be sure to Google the blend, and then look for links pointing to Tobacco Reviews to read all about the blends.

These are my favorite Aros to date;