Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
A couple of years back, I tried both cigars and pipes and chose the pipe. This week, I decided to revisit the cigars. My old humidor is already repurposed by my wife as a cosmetics box, so I got a new (slightly larger) humidor and seasoning it currently with 84% boveda packs ... which supposedly a very slow process.
I placed an order for some sticks today. I will still primarily smoke pipes, but plan to keep a set of cigars handy for an occasional smoke.

Last time I smoked a cigar, I enjoyed Padron 1926 natural series a lot. I also enjoyed Padron 1964 Natural. I tried Padron 1926 Maduro as well, but that was possibly too much for a beginner.
I tried a bunch of other cigars a couple of years back, but Padron ones I remember the most. So I reordered a few Padrons (1926 and 1964) this time, along with a motley array of some of the popular brands.
The sweet spot for me is about 5 inches, so I only ordered Corona, Toro, Rothschild, Gordo, etc...
Once the sticks arrive, I may have questions.

I smoked Nicaraguan because that’s what the B&M tobacconist gave me. I will try all variations

Awesome. Padron makes wonderful cigars. I would also recommend Illusione, My Father/Tatuaje, Oliva among the Nicraguan cigars. The Padron 1926's can be awfully expensive but sometimes you can get a good deal on Cigar Auctioneer for the minimum bid.

Reactions: lightmybriar

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Great recommendations from danimalia, anything don pepin touches is gold for the most part, and oliva series G maduros are one of the best values out there, their series v are also great sticks.

I’d throw AVO, Ashton, Camacho, Diamond Crown, La Gloria Cubana, Nub, CAO (some of them), Davidoff, Hoyo de Monterrey, and the occasional Padilla in to that list as well.

if youre a cuban guy, Trinidad fundadores, Ramon Allones specially selected, and Bolivars are the way to go, IMHO.

corncobguy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2012
I enjoy a nice cigar almost every day( as well as my pipes). My problem is when I find something I like I write it down and for some reason don't come back to it. I'm always wanting to try something new so I don't reorder what I like. I find most enjoyable but haven't found that WOW cigar yet. My advice would be to order what you know you like and to try new cigars when they go on sale.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
The toro size works really well for me too.

Give Liga Privada T52 a try. I'd rank them as good as the Padrons mentioned. Possibly better but that's really probably a matter of personal taste.

Also: Alec Bradley Prensado, Flor de Las Antillas, and Ashton VSG.

Well I made a newbie mistake yesterday night -
My first order was with SmokingPipes and I ordered a well curated (by me) tiny collection of 18 cigars

Yesterday I went to JR Cigars website - their site is very confusing to newbies. I ended up buying 61 cigars (about 25 -30 good sticks and rest fillers of probably questionable quality)

I see the following good may still come out of this
  • The sticks may be questionable quality, but they are at least cheap
  • Having a set of sticks handy which are cheap, will help me learn about cadence without worrying too much about destroying them
  • I can compare the good ones with the bad ones to train my taste
  • Who knows - I may like them
  • Humidor will always look full in the pictures

jeff540

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 25, 2016
Southwest Virginia
I used to smoke way more cigars before I gravitated 99.95% to the pipe about 8 years ago. Padron anniversary series, Pete Johnson brands, Avo XO, and Fuente's Hemingway series were my favorites. I also loved the short-lived Canimao brand in natural wrapper ( I bought boxes of them before they went out of business).

According to my B&M owner, due to an increase in popularity and corresponding production, many cigar makers aren't aging them the same length of time any more. Thus, newly purchased cigars should be left to age properly in your humidor for 6 to 12 months to allow the ammonia and other fermentation products to escape the cigar before consuming it.

Reactions: ormazd and cshubhra

Bengel

Lifer
Sep 20, 2019
Yesterday I went to JR Cigars website - their site is very confusing to newbies. I ended up buying 61 cigars (about 25 -30 good sticks and rest fillers of probably questi
This was always what happened to me at JR as well:)
It was really something when Lew Rothman wrote his catalog pieces, he could sell some bridges, man!
They have good cigar prices and maybe an auction. I got away from using them when they cleared out pipe stuff last year, good prices then, got my last Royal Yacht.

Reactions: ormazd and cshubhra

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Italian fire cured cigars could be what your are looking for.
Smoked the proper pipe smokers way! Parodi...

JoDqK32.jpg
In a Meer Cutty designed for it...

Status
Not open for further replies.