PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
I think we can buy the Civic with the number on board. Give me the green light and I will haggle for a package deal.
What say the interested parties to starting $100 for Oppenheimer and $38 for Civic?

walt24

Might Stick Around
Jan 12, 2015
I can't in good conscience do that. I have done a fair amount of business with the man and he told me he has a ton of catalogs and really old brochures.

So to save 50.00. and possibly undue a friendship, nope.
Walter

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
I can understand that. I recommend checking briarbooks.com to compare prices against other reprints he has.

walt24

Might Stick Around
Jan 12, 2015
Understand I'm not against saving money, but I have never canceled an order. My offer is my offer. If anybody has ever talked to him he is a delight and a wealth

of information. So lets find some more catalogs .
Walter

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
I certainly understand. I have also dealt with him. He is a heck of a nice guy.

May 31, 2012
I think we can buy the Civic with the number on board. Give me the green light and I will haggle for a package deal.
What say the interested parties to starting $100 for Oppenheimer and $38 for Civic?
I vote greenlight.
It's a lowball offer so most likely there will be a counteroffer,

some sellers are quick and some sellers are slow to get back with you.
If our offer is $138 for both, I'd bet his counteroffer would be $175 or something like that,

it's always interesting how these things work,

of course, they have been sitting there almost a week now,

if he accepts the $138 offer it'd be a victory for us methinks!

:puffy:

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Is the catalog that Mike was selling one of Gary's copies, or was it an original?
The problem with that catalog is that it's something like 400 pages and is bound like a book. There's no way that I can scan that. It requires the use of a book scanner.
I can look into finding a scanning service, and I don't know what the price will be, but I'm willing to bet that you could just buy one of Gary's reprints for a lot less.
Catalogs like the Oppenheimer and Civic can be laid flat, page by page, and scanned.
I think that we should be looking for items that are not available in reprint and which can be scanned on a flat scanner.
Check out Briar Books Press to see what Gary has. I will not copy any of his reprints.
I will copy original material that is public domain.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I vote greenlight.
It's a lowball offer so most likely there will be a counteroffer,

some sellers are quick and some sellers are slow to get back with you.
If our offer is $138 for both, I'd bet his counteroffer would be $175 or something like that,

it's always interesting how these things work,

of course, they have been sitting there almost a week now,

if he accepts the $138 offer it'd be a victory for us methinks!
I'd second the offer at $138. But I would want to be asked about approving meeting any counteroffer before agreeing to it. If someone else buys it, so be it. And there's a pretty good chance that the catalogs won't sell.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
OK. Is this a sufficient green light?
I would like to propose the following for running this pool:
1. Sablebrush52 will scan and distribute digital copies of the originals. This is a lot of work, so his payment will be ownership of the originals. As property purchased in large part by others' funds, however, he will not sell or otherwise part with originals purchased under the auspices of the pool. I am sure that last bit goes without saying, but someone might want assurances.
2. Misterlowercase and, to a lesser extent, myself will search out materials for future purchase. Suggested purchases will also be welcomed.
3. If accepted by the current membership, I will serve as our treasurer. As treasurer I will open a PayPal account for the pool. All funds will be kept there and used only for future purchases. The only exception to that last will be for the present acquisitions - I will make those purchases out of pocket and recoup costs above and beyond my share after the fact from the pool PayPal account. Monthly reports of the pool's finances will be made by me.
4. We will sell digital copies of pool-purchased materials at a price at least nominally above what pool members paid. Those funds will be used solely for future acquisitions. Those funds may be used for acquisitions upon unanimous agreement of the following: Sablebrush52, Misterlowercase, and myself. Copies of materials acquired by those funds will be made freely available to pool members and sold to non-pool members.
What say the current members (those folks who are promising to chip in on the Oppenhemier and/or Civic catalogs)?

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Regarding point 3 above, I need to make an amendment. I am putting $100 into the pool, so I will only recoup the amount in excess of $100. Everything else stays in the pool.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Additionally, any pool members in possession of catalogs, brochures/pamphlets, ads, and other ephemera are encouraged to contribute digital copies to the pool. Should these be sent to Sable?

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
The offers on the Oppenheimer and Civic catalogs are in. I will post any counteroffers, so please check back often.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Sorry for the absence today... Long day. I'm in on both buys, and support Buroak's suggestions above.
-- Pat

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
As far as material in the possession of various collectors, I would be happy to handle digitized copies for distribution to the members of the pool. If anyone has an original and would not mind it being scanned, I would be happy to do that and return the original to the owner. But we would have to agree that the material is worth the time and effort involved, prior to accepting it for scanning. I just don't have the time to handle a ton of stuff, and the mailing costs would come out of the pool.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
No worries, Pat. I am glad to have your support for the project.
Sablebrush52, I agree that originals need approval prior to being sent to you for scanning. So far as I know nobody wants a 1965 ad for Medico Lancers. I also agree that mailing costs should come out of the pool. Shipping costs are going to add up pretty quickly.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
We should also be clear that we're not looking to copy material that is readily available from other sources. I'm not copying any Briar Books material. It would not be right to do so, period. Someone else can have the pleasure of being sued.
What we want to find is that which is of interest, but not readily available, in the form of ads, news stories about the pipe and tobacco trade, periodicals that are not in copyright, catalogs that can be scanned on a flat bed scanner, brochures, pictures of ephemera like display art, tin art, or cool ashtrays, vintage images of pipe smokers, etc. If people have items that they have digitized and are willing to share, so much the better.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I have a '73 GBD catalog to add to the group.
Yes, we should not scan copyrighted material.
Ebay seller "Mr. TVF" is Mel Feldman's son, selling off some of Mel's items. He's frequently out of touch on pipe history, values, etc. but always seemed open to accurate info. So, I don't think an offer to him would feel disrespectful.

walt24

Might Stick Around
Jan 12, 2015
I'm with the group on this. If we can't copy the BBB catalog then I just bought one. I also have a couple of GBD catalogs. I'm still in for the 100.00.
Walter

Status
Not open for further replies.