PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
They’re hit-or-miss. I’ve mostly had good experiences, but I purchased a cigar and humidor pkg as a gift for someone, and they failed to mail the humidor, which was a PITA to remedy. I’ve learned to stick mostly w/SPC, where I’ve never had any issues.

Reactions: fireground_piper
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
SP and TP are near flawless in their execution. And even though they're a smaller ship, Watch City is the same. And when the rare problem occurs, those folks jump on it promptly to make good in a friendly and professional manner. There have been so many complaint threads here regarding P&C, if you order from them and get screwed, you only have yourself to blame.

cfreud

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 1, 2014
Bravo @pantsBoots. You, sir or madame, hit the nail on the head.

In addition to the issues well noted with Pipes and Cigars, there is also the post-COVID fallout. Everything from the important stuff, like ordering tobacco, to restaurants to whatever is understaffed after the pandemic. Businesses -- and I'm not hammering on P&C -- are simply trying to do more with less (i.e. staff a business as if it were pandemic times in non-pandemic times), and stuff falls through the cracks. Thus, you call into a never-ending phone trees where you can't find a person with whom to speak. (Try calling a doctor's office!!!)

This apparently is the new normal, where mediocrity is OK. Yes, it does piss me off, so I am going to relight my pipe and stop writing. Happy Sunday.

Merton

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
SP and TP are near flawless in their execution. And even though they're a smaller ship, Watch City is the same. And when the rare problem occurs, those folks jump on it promptly to make good in a friendly and professional manner. There have been so many complaint threads here regarding P&C, if you order from them and get screwed, you only have yourself to blame.
I fully agree with the observations about SP and TP (only have ordered once from Watch City and it was fine). I also agree about P&C including ordering at one's own risk. However, just the other day I wanted to order some more SPC hogshead and they were the only ones to have it. Same price as everyone else but with 15% off. Hope it goes well on the delivery.
BTW, Hogshead is a very enjoyable blend.

Reactions: MattRVA

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
This apparently is the new normal, where mediocrity is OK. Yes, it does piss me off, so I am going to relight my pipe and stop writing. Happy Sunday.
So you're saying they were just ahead of the curve. Innovators really. I have said it before but one thing I've learned doing customer service is problems happen sometimes you can't fix them and there is a lot out of your control, but what really gets people is when you shrug and say it's not my problem. Which one way to say that is to have a fixable problem go on for years without doing anything significant to try and change it. In a way it's more the fact that they find that an acceptable part of their operation. It's kind of like if I go to a restaurant and there is a certain type of mess in the front of the house, I don't mind the mess I mind that the people running the place don't think it matters. Doesn't make me feel like supporting them or risking finding out what else they don't care about.

cfreud

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 1, 2014
So you're saying they were just ahead of the curve. Innovators really. I have said it before but one thing I've learned doing customer service is problems happen sometimes you can't fix them and there is a lot out of your control, but what really gets people is when you shrug and say it's not my problem. Which one way to say that is to have a fixable problem go on for years without doing anything significant to try and change it. In a way it's more the fact that they find that an acceptable part of their operation. It's kind of like if I go to a restaurant and there is a certain type of mess in the front of the house, I don't mind the mess I mind that the people running the place don't think it matters. Doesn't make me feel like supporting them or risking finding out what else they don't care about.
I agree with you completely @anotherbob. It's just that one fights the battles one can win. And dealing with customer service generally, be it tobacco -ordering, service in a restaurant, etc., change ain't happening. Yeah, I'll take my business elsewhere, but it's a prevailing issue in every form of business.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I agree with you completely @anotherbob. It's just that one fights the battles one can win. And dealing with customer service generally, be it tobacco -ordering, service in a restaurant, etc., change ain't happening. Yeah, I'll take my business elsewhere, but it's a prevailing issue in every form of business.
one thing that's been interesting is seeing how some businesses adapted better then others.
File Under Silver Lining: I have to admit it's been harder to not get fat now that there is a delivery option of leave it on the porch.

Prozart

Lurker
Aug 16, 2022
Rhode Island
They've been so inconsistent for me. Up until about a month ago I'd never had any issues, although I'd only placed probably like three orders. Then a month ago I placed an order that just sat in processing. After about a week I emailed them asking about it and they never replied. A few days after that I called them and, after waiting on hold for a while, they let me know that one of the items I ordered is on backorder now so the ordwr would ship in one to two months, when they got it back in stock. Apparently they had no intention of letting me know. So I had them cancel that item so my order could ship and a few days later, after it still hadn't shipped, I called and cancelled.

Last Monday I placed an order and it shipped within a couple hours. I placed another order Wednesday (deciding to really stock up on some items they had on sale) and that order still hasn't shipped. I didn't bother emailing but I called and waited on hold for thirty minutes on Friday and then had to go back to work. Tried calling after work and got a message that they are closed due to unforseen circumstances.

Not sure what's going on with them, but I'll probably stick with Smoking Pipes and pay a little more from now on, they've been amazing to work with.

avail

Can't Leave
Oct 13, 2015
Michigan
Since I started up, I've been ordering from both PC and SP almost exclusively. Very often, when I have a list together, neither one has it all, so I'll place an order with each.

SP has always been top notch. PC had a few glitches. I remember a few years ago they had a horrendous order fulfillment problem, probably resulting from changes after the acquisition. I still order from both, but as a result of these longstanding issues my orders with SP are usually much higher dollar than PC. That's my hedge.

I have looked at a few other well-known vendors, prices are usually higher and they don't seem to have as expansive inventories.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Old news. Their price is tempting, but frustration with their service is not worth the trouble. Heard some have better luck than the others. I stick with SP and TP.

Reactions: jiminy

novaki

Lurker
Apr 4, 2020
Meridian, MS
I started smoking with P&C and didn't have any problems, but I've been having more issues with them lately. I had an order that was taking a week to process so I just said screw it and cancelled. I've had much better customer service with SP and it usually takes a few days to get my order since I live a few states away.

CraigRobert

Lurker
Aug 16, 2022
Lewistown, Pa
Because of the bad overall experience I had with P&C, I made up my mind they’d be the last resort.
I’ve made numerous orders with tobaccopipes.com and have had nothing but great experiences with them. Their customer service was great, and the products arrived in 3-4 days with standard shipping.
So far, without a doubt, the best pipe related company I’ve worked with is blueroombriars.com. The owners deal with the customers firsthand and the service is out of this world.

Reactions: Pete-Sav and jiminy

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
I've only rarely ordered from them over the past few years but always gotten my order within a decent time frame. Recently ordered from them because they were the only place that had OJK in stock in bulk. Didn't want to pay $10 more to get it tinned. However, as it's been about 1 1/2 weeks and my order was still noted as processing and not shipped, I e-mailed them to ask what that was about. No response so called them today but hung up after being on hold for 18 minutes. E-mailed them again and will see if/when I get a response. Wanting that order rather badly, went to SP and went ahead with ordering it tinned along with the Bayou Morning I wanted. Guess if/when I finally get the P&C order, I'll have plenty. Think I'd have to be desperate to order from them again however as customer service sucks.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
OK, so I ordered from SP yesterday like I just said and it shipped out today. Meanwhile my P&C order status remains as "processing" with no response to e-mail #2. Beginning to think that, if things don't change in another week or so, may have to consider contacting my state's AG office to complain about their business practice given there's no potential to be able to communicate with an actual employee there.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I got my first pipe and tobacco from P&C in 2017. Working feverishly to build a lifetime cellar, I ended up placing dozens of orders with them over a few years. Two of the many orders I placed had issues, which they addressed to my satisfaction.

They are the "Walmart" of tobacco vendors. Usually the best prices, at the cost of service. If you are in a hurry, order elsewhere. If, however, you have a huge pile of tobacco already on hand, just order with them and don't worry about the long ship times. Their delivery tortoises will eventually reach your mailbox.

Many of the issues with them stem from using PayPal. If a PayPal transaction is not fulfilled within a certain period of time, PP will "time out" the transaction and leave you in limbo. P&C should disallow PP for any orders containing out of stock items. That would eliminate half of the problems. Keeping their inventory software up to date and accurate would fix most of the other half.

At the height of their problematic phase, there were multiple "I hate P&C" threads going simultaneously on the forum at all times. This was when they pulled out as site sponsors. They surely lost business by doing so, but one can see why they chose to leave, with all of the hate and dog-piling they endured. (even if deserved)

They are one of many options we have. I think back to my childhood, when ordering by mail meant, "please wait 6-8 weeks for delivery". We are now so spoiled by 2 day shipping that we lose sight of how far we've come in such a short period of time.

I'm on a bike in traffic regularly. I'd much rather wait a week longer for my order than get run over by autonomous delivery vehicles and overworked van drivers maniacally swerving to get your tin of Holly's Nonplus Ultra to you before sunset..... nnnn

1662613553590.png