PipesAndCigars.Com: Are They Trustworthy?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Here's the deal...
P&C is a big company which sells products to thousands of pipe and cigar smokers. Probably 10s of thousands. Just because a few forum members have had problems with them doesn't make them a bad company trying to rip-off customers.

Do they occasionally have customer service problems? Yes. But name me one other large business that doesn't screw up occasionally. The post office is constantly screwing up but people still use them. I've also had problems with FedEx, UPS and DHL.

As for P&C, I have ordered from them when I see something I'm looking for. I have never had a problem with them.

litup

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2015
Sacramento, CA
I don't want to repeat myself on a forum every time this gets brought up so I'll just say that I don't think they are trying to screw people over. There's just a lot of incompetence and there are easier options. If it costs me an extra 20 cents a tin to go elsewhere for a pleasant transaction, I will.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
I've had one issue after many successful orders. Ordered a 500g box and received a 250g box.

Two emails with photos resulted in receiving an additional 500g box while keeping the 250g box sent in error.

I like their deals and "cash". Selection and pricing are sometimes better.

RL Bucktails

Might Stick Around
Apr 23, 2024
Pascack Valley
Here's the deal...
P&C is a big company which sells products to thousands of pipe and cigar smokers. Probably 10s of thousands. Just because a few forum members have had problems with them doesn't make them a bad company trying to rip-off customers.

Do they occasionally have customer service problems? Yes. But name me one other large business that doesn't screw up occasionally. The post office is constantly screwing up but people still use them. I've also had problems with FedEx, UPS and DHL.

As for P&C, I have ordered from them when I see something I'm looking for. I have never had a problem with them.
Well said. Same here.
In recent months I've seen some blends available on Pipesandcigars that weren't available anywhere else at that time, or at least not for a comparable price. So far I've not needed to use them, but going forward I would like to have that option.

However, I've also seen some posts here that mention trouble ordering from P&C and advise avoiding them. I can't seem to find those posts now, and I want to get a clearer idea of what the (apparently) ongoing issue is with this retailer before I make some upcoming purchases.

Could anyone tell me what the rub is regarding this site? They look very well established and have positive reviews, generally speaking.

What's been your experience using these guys, and/or what warnings would you offer?
Yes they are a real business. No issues so far for me.

Reactions: Cigarguy55

khiddy

Starting to Get Obsessed
For reference, I placed orders yesterday afternoon with both smokingpipes and pipesandcigars. Smokingpipes sent me an email last night that my items had shipped. Still waiting to see a notification from P&C.

By the way, it’s also important to note that P&C is owned by Scandinavian Tobacco Group, the same parent company that also owns CigarBid and now MacBaren.

Reactions: Servant King

JoeW

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 1, 2024
Upper Peninsula, Michigan, USA
I've placed 4 orders with P&C since early March, and haven't had any issues at all. Small sample, but there it is.

Their shipping/tracking system isn't the most trustworthy: twice it was accurate, and twice it still said "Processing" after I had already received the orders. The first time, they shipped an order in two separate shipments: one box contained a $2 pipe tool, and the other box contained the remaining $128 of my items. Their shipping department works in mysterious ways.

jbfrady

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 27, 2023
South Carolina
I've not had any issues with them, but to be fair I've only made two orders there. I just purchased clearance items both times so they didn't get many of my moneys, but they still shipped quickly. Maybe they just  really wanted to be rid of that shit.

I agree with the OP though, in that I like certain things from p&c that nobody else has. I bought my wife one of their Norman Rockwell ash trays plus a tin of tobacco for ten bucks plus shipping. You just can't beat it.

Hutch Piper

(Hutch1904)
Mar 12, 2022
Charlotte, NC
I've placed 4 orders with P&C since early March, and haven't had any issues at all. Small sample, but there it is.

Their shipping/tracking system isn't the most trustworthy: twice it was accurate, and twice it still said "Processing" after I had already received the orders. The first time, they shipped an order in two separate shipments: one box contained a $2 pipe tool, and the other box contained the remaining $128 of my items. Their shipping department works in mysterious ways.
Same thing just happened to me. I placed an order and for several days the status said Processing. I just received my shipment and it still says that. Not a huge deal but there are times when I do need to know that my package is about to arrive.

Mike N

Can't Leave
Aug 3, 2023
I like to order tins from the site sponsors if they are available. For instance, I first tried to buy the new release Sun Bear Honey Locust at SP but its site was overwhelmed, so I searched elsewhere.

It’s also nice to buy online from those that set up at pipe shows whom you have met in person. Last week at Columbus, it was great to speak with the reps manning tables for SmokingPipes, Iwan Reis, Sutliff etc.

Support companies that support pipe websites, artisan makers and pipe shows. Saving a few bucks isn’t worth it sometimes for the long term prospects of this hobby.

Reactions: The Novice Piper