PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Zeno Marx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2022
I've seen probably hundreds of Decatur pipe stands. I've worked in pipe shops where pipes sat in pipe stands, getting handled by everyone under the sun for extended periods of time. I've seen metal stands. Stands with bent metal rods. I've seen pipes mounded in glass ashtrays (mine). I've seen pipes piled into bakelight ashtrays. Sitting in car ashtrays and mug holders on center consoles. Never seen any stands with felt, but I'm sure they're out there...somewhere. Pipes in pockets with pipe nails and pocket knives. I could go on and on. I've never seen any of these methods scratch a pipe. Pipes get scratched and dinged when they're either dropped or mishandled. Whatever resting mechanisms have been in use for 150 years or so have been doing harmless service. Briar is hard. It's tough.

I appreciate a lot about the new era of pipe smoking, but one thing that makes me grateful I'm not a new pipe smoker is the overthinking. Well, there are other things, like wanting instant pipe collections and instant cellars, but I digress.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
Whatever resting mechanisms have been in use for 150 years or so have been doing harmless service. Briar is hard. It's tough.
As I was getting used to my Peterson system with the "more" easily removable stems, I've had a bowl fall right off due to cold weather and my lack of ensuring it was tight before wandering around with it clenched. Bowl landed on concrete with no ill effect. Had another one knocked off a shelf 3 feet to concrete floor and fortunately that time, no ill effect either.

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
I keep some in a rack, the ones with an acrylic stem. Some Dunnies too, I love to see and touch them.
Save them from direct light.
If your racks are not accomodated with seat belts , they really should have "slots" like the pictured Dunhill one.
If not your pipes will , at a future time, make a sliding. Pipe racks on slippery surfaces,
think marble mantle pieces etc. are in constant danger unless securely fixed with for instance anti slip,
or to the wall supporting them. Hate to drill in the walls though.
I do the dusting, my friend does not even dare to touch it.
There's one missing, where the dickens is it ?
Dunhill pipe rack.jpg

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Oh, yeah!

Our cats are geriatric and have finally convinced themselves that the law of gravity is a permanent factor that doesn't need to repeatedly be tested for, so they don't jump up on shelves or bat anything onto the floor.

Kittens up to young adults can be a problem, though--they love investigating anything that looks like a cozy perch and generally have a deep-seated need to constantly make sure that gravity is still working.
my cat thankfully has the same reaction to the pipes. Sniff it then look at me like you enjoy this you mad person. Now snus tins he loves knocking those around.

Ben.R.C

Lifer
Nov 20, 2022
North Carolina
my cat thankfully has the same reaction to the pipes. Sniff it then look at me like you enjoy this you mad person. Now snus tins he loves knocking those around.
I am curious, off topic, are you a General snus user? It’s the only kind I’ve been able to find that ships cheaply to USA. I get the white General snus.

Ben.R.C

Lifer
Nov 20, 2022
North Carolina
I actually got some sticky felt to use on my stands, cut to desired size. Maybe I am overthinking this, but I worry about only a few of my smooths.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I am curious, off topic, are you a General snus user? It’s the only kind I’ve been able to find that ships cheaply to USA. I get the white General snus.
occasionally. I tend to get strong los snus. The funny thing about strong los snus is that it isn't really about more nicotine but getting more snus prillas out of a tin. When I feel like spending more on snus I tend more towards Roda Lacket and Gotesborg Prima Fint. I also miss Strong Cut. Which was always just fun to say. I do like General and occasional use it but it's far from a favorite or regular. Also haven't been using snus as much because of the stupid PACT act (the first one not the recent one) so the only way I found to get snus at a decent price is to order several rolls since the initital shipping is expensive but doesn't go up that much per roll. Just money has been dear enough lately to not want to spend it too freely.

Reactions: Briar Tuck

Briar Tuck

Lifer
Nov 29, 2022
Oregon coast
As I was getting used to my Peterson system with the "more" easily removable stems, I've had a bowl fall right off due to cold weather and my lack of ensuring it was tight before wandering around with it clenched. Bowl landed on concrete with no ill effect. Had another one knocked off a shelf 3 feet to concrete floor and fortunately that time, no ill effect either.
Very fortunate both times. Others have not been so lucky.

I had one slip off the pipe rack while I was fiddling with it and fall between my bookcases to land on the hardwood floor. I think the contact with the bookcases on the way down slowed it enough to lessen the impact and it was undamaged.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
Very fortunate both times. Others have not been so lucky.

I had one slip off the pipe rack while I was fiddling with it and fall between my bookcases to land on the hardwood floor. I think the contact with the bookcases on the way down slowed it enough to lessen the impact and it was undamaged.
I realize I was very lucky. It could have landed at a different angle and completely fractured.

I've had to develop a couple of new habits for my Peterson system pipes. Such as ensuring they're tight when I light up; and to remove the moisture from the well before flipping over to handle any ash!!

Reactions: Briar Tuck