PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
My son picked him out having no idea who Petey was. When he came home with him I was like hey Petey and my son just gave me a blank stare and told me his name is Brutus. I also used to baby sit my oldest daughters dog Lacy who is a 4 pound female Maltese. She would boss Brutus around like she was his size. She would jump and grab his lip hanging on for a few seconds and Brutus would never even growl at her. They were like David and Goliath and were so cute together.
Dogs are great companions. It’s been a long time since I’ve owned one. This little pup and I are becoming fast friends. — Beautiful Sat morning. I tired him out with a nice walk. Now he’s content at my feet with a pipe simmering away. I can hear him snoring.

I couldn’t help slipping and calling Brutus—“Petey”. He’s an awesome lookin dog. Enjoy him. Spoil him!

Scottishgaucho

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2020
Buenos Aires Province.
bully.jpg

forloveoffreedom

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 29, 2013
Very fantastic thread! A week ago I was wide awake after the first office visit at 1am. Went out on the deck for a pipe and instantly both dogs and cats were at my side for the hour plus. We all loved that stick.

Edit: Schtick? If so, totally agree!

Also:

Please
put your location in your Profile, as people are forgetful.
Why:
That will save questions in the future as to where you live when you later mention local stores, weather, tobacco prices, availability, regulations, location of photos, wildfires, air quality, etc. In many instances that saves time for those who read your posts.
How:
Under your avatar, (top right, left most of three symbols) you choose "Account Details", which brings up "My Account". "My Location" is halfway down. Whatever you're comfortable with- town, city, county, state. Just country if you must.

Last edited by a moderator:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My sister and her husband are large dog people, ninety to one hundred pounds, but took on a cat that was threatened by the neighbor of a friend across town who wanted the cat put down. The friend's kids had named him Newman, I guess after the Seinfeld character. He was a medium size short hair tuxedo cat, black and white. Newman was amazing, declawed on the front, and a fierce hunter that strew his game across he front yard -- rabbits, squirrels, you name it. Their big dog Max had play dates and pet sitting buddies, but Newman would always sit up on the cabinets and supervise them. It's very strange. A lot of small dogs and cats simply don't understand their physical size and run things by force of will. My cats seem to take it literally that they are genetically 95% tiger, and shoulder me over as I stand over them like a five story building. But they are alternately companionable and affectionate. When I bark at them and cuss, they disappear for about three minutes, and then come back for a snuggle. Boy, have they got my number. Incidentally, Newman lived to a ripe old age, appeared on neighbor's Christmas cards gadding about the neighborhood, and died quietly at home after going off in cold weather the way cats do when they feel sick.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Pets adopt us in a way. They definitely see the advantages and domesticate people they like. One couple made friends with a stray cat that hung around the yard and installed a heated house for him outdoors. Eventually, of course, he came in permanently. Now he walks behind them (walks them) as they walk their dog.

Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
This is Bruno. He came from the shelter with that name.

Every time I light a pipe, he comes over and has to sniff the bit. He sneezes and shakes his head horribly, then he comes back for one more sniff, repeats the sneezing and head shaking and then lays down beside me. His reaction says he hates tobacco smoke. His repeated indulgence indicates he really likes something about it. He's a good boy.
download.jpeg

Aomalley27

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 8, 2021
Chicagoland area
Over the years my youngest son has lived with me and has lived at places where I needed to keep his dog with me. His name is Brutus and he is a 100 plus pound American Bulldog. He thinks he is human as this picture will show. He sits in chairs in and out of the house like we would. He also still thinks he is a puppy and he can sit on your lap. He is the sweetest dog, as he loves everyone.
Is that a Stover line AB? Looks like something Rayburn could’ve produced.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I talked to a friend today who not infrequently reframes my thinking in such a way that cuts right through my mustard, this time about books I've lent that I'm having a hard time getting back. So I'm giving him the details and he leans across the table and says, "You never loan anything, you give it, and if you can't make the gift NSA. don't. You expect absolutely nothing in return, not even a 'thank you.'

If expectation is involved, so is resentment, and resentment is hell.

Although I don't understand this, my cat does in the way of her kind. When I feed her she swallows it whole like a bottom feeding whale, ingesting whatever without the need to swallow, and she doesn't say thank you. If I tried to separate her from her food to ask for it back, saying it was a loan not a gift, I would run into the wall of her expectation, and resentment.

This can't be otherwise for a cat. But humans have a choice to give with an open-heart and so live outside of anger and its variants. Now I don't yet have this right, but give me a minute: I just learned this morning.