Pipes, Guns, Books, and my Ride (picture heavy!!)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

apiperisdown

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 28, 2014
Fan-tastic on the signatures NOLA. We had Archie late in his career

with Houston and it's an honor to say we did. It was during my highschool years actually. :)

saint007

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 22, 2013
NOLA, that pigskin is worth some serious dough!
In 78, Archie missed the season due to Rotator Cuff surgery. That season, I had the opportunity to work with him. I was working at 1280 WGSO, the city's first News/Talk/Sports station. WWL Radio at that time was programming a Chit-Chat format with Bob Ruby, Eric & Lindy Tracy etc. We got the Broadcast Rights away from WWL because we developed a better relationship with Saints' GM Dick Gordon(former NASA astronaut). We were the Flag Ship station from 1976-81. So, Archie couldn't play and he wanted some experience behind a mic. We worked him in as the Color Analysis along with the late Wayne Mack.
BTW, for the 76 season, our first as the flagship station, we had Dick Butkus as our Color Analysis. He retired from the Bears in 75 and he too was looking for mic time.
And, Archie came back after surgery in 78 to win NFL League MVP in 79!
P S

Just wait till I get my custom Saints Calabash I have the meerschaum store carving for me. I sent them an attachment of the Saints' Fleur de Lis which will highlight the lattice work on the pipe. Should have it in about a month.

tobyducote

Lifer
Jun 10, 2012
New Orleans
Wow nice history there Saints...I got the football from Archie..he used to have an office in the same building that my wife worked in on Poydras and I would see him all the time...usually on Friday mornings while getting our shoes shined from Mr Ed in the lobby

saint007

Dec 22, 2013
I really liked Hank Stram, a genuinely nice guy and who was the coach the first two season we had them before Dick Nolan took over. I ran into him years later while taking a late afternoon walk on the Beau Chene Golf Course. I was just walking and he road his golf cart up to me. He was playing Golf and also playing a ball for his Bassett Hound. We had a great chat!

houndstooth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 28, 2013
That's a very nice sitting room/library/man cave indeed! And filled with some very nice collectible things!

rangerearthpig

Jan 5, 2014
Gosh.....if you had Guinness on tap, that would be my exact dream room. :lol: Super nice job, Sir!

irish

Lifer
Aug 12, 2011
Texas
Awesome sir. It amazes me how many of us are into the same things beside pipes . I myself am into guns , motorcycles and of course pipes. I own several variations of the 1911. I do own some single actions with one Bisely but mine are Rugers no Colts in the single action department. I love to read but my book collection is mostly paperbacks with a few hard cover . Most of my hardcover books are military books that I have either inherited or picked up at antique stores . Your man cave is spectacular . Thanks for sharing ! :puffpipe:

tobyducote

Lifer
Jun 10, 2012
New Orleans
Thanks Trailboss, that damn ceiling took us forever...at least it feels like it...to layout and spaced proportionally...it's a small detail that not many notice...and yes I do have a secret closet built in..it's where the gun safe is stored with my rifles and shotguns...
Doc..the Bisley was found in the wall of my fathers in laws uncles home that's in the French Quarter...it's a building the family has owed since the mid 1800s...we were doing some restoration to it, and I was working there one weekend and found it behind a plaster wall...who knows what it was used for and why it was hidden in that wall

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
Now that is a room where you could just sit back, enjoy a nice long pipe, and get lost in your reading or some music. VERY nicely done sir.

Status
Not open for further replies.