PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dontbeaburleyman

Might Stick Around
Dec 22, 2013
Central California
Anyone play golf while smoking your favorite pipe? I’ve smoked cigars for years on the course but would really like to make the change to pipes.
What issues have you run into? I’d imagine keeping it lit is the primary issue—especially when there’s a bit of wind. Anything else? Any recommendations on keeping it lit?
Thanks for the info!

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Back when I was a hacker I simply put the pipe on the grass or left it in the cart, if available. I'd hit the ball, pickup the pipe, wander further into the trees and hit the ball again. Sometimes I kept the pipe in my mouth on chips and other short shots. Most of my shots were short.

snoopy311

Can't Leave
Dec 21, 2016
I smoke all the time when I’m playing golf. Usually will have two to three bowls in an 18 hope round. I don’t worry about keeping it lit. If it goes out I just relight.

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
I've never been a "man of action" whilst piping. I like to sit and relax in a comfortable chair so that I can savor the flavor.
Me thinks it would be kind of inconvenient. But, to each their own. If you enjoy it, definitely go for it.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Do it many times a week. Plenty of time to smoke, put the pipe on the cart or ground or pocket, take the stroke, and start smoking it again with no relight. In a bunker, I stick it in my pocket, but on the tee or fairway, on the grass. I putt, chip and pitch while clenching, but not on full shots.
Father Dempsey is usually along to comfort me.
Oh- just noticed the "favorite pipe" restriction. Generally not. One pocket on my bag has 6-10 pipes in it at all times. None of them favorites, but all favored for the task.
Enjoy!

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
That's why they make cigars, so you have something you smoke while doing these type of activities. I'm sure some people can make it work. I'd end up losing, breaking and burning or pipes consistently. I wouldn't even consider it but that's me.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
This is what cobs are for. I don't even smoke my briars while driving because I usually end up freight training or having to endure many re lights and charred rims.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
"I don't even smoke my briars while driving"
Airbags are a really efficient way to drive a pipe stem out the back of your neck. Gives the paramedics something to talk about.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Two left hands?? It's really not difficult. I wouldn't take my prize Barlings or meers on the links, but it's very doable. Cigars are- well, ahem—so common on golf courses.

5star

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
I'm not much of a clincher, so don't even smoke a pipe while driving a car. Cigars have their advantages in some situations.

I have played while clenching. No big deal. But, of course I do everything with my pipe clenched, because my pipe is always clenched. If I waited till I had time to set down and do nothing like a lazy Ooof, then I would never smoke. I cannot stand setting down, unless there is a good movie on or reading a book. Even then, sometimes while reading I get so anxious that I drop the book and go find something more meaningful to do.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
I leave my briar in the car and use golf as an excuse to keep my humidor stocked. JR Alternatives more often than not.

I wonder just how many pipes I would leave on the course if I smoked my pipes there?
Mike S.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Heh, Mike.... So far, none left on the course. Can't say the same for my rangefinder, which left me a few days ago. And not the first time.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm not a golfer, though my dad and especially my late wife's dad were both golfers. I'm just not a multi-tasker by choice. You have to do several things at once a lot of the time, but I don't seek that out. I do enjoy lunting, the Scottish word for smoking a pipe while walking, but in that case, it is more smoking the pipe than the walking that I focus on. I observe my surroundings less well if I am pipe smoking; I'm enjoying the pipe. The birds, weather, and clouds are background and not central while smoking. Some people must multi-task, like the women who knit in church or the young folks who have to have a musical soundtrack in earplugs most of the time. I both admire their capability and wonder if they are missing the settling on one activity. Probably both single-focus and multi-tasking are good, in alternate situations. I always tend toward doing one thing to the degree possible, but I'm probably spoiled. In many families, everyone talks at once while many other activities are performed. Some artists, in various forms and genres, work in the midst of people coming and going and making plenty of noise. Bravo.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Someone said golf was a good walk ruined. It's a great game in natural surroundings ... well, natural in the sense of being outdoors.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
Someone said golf was a good walk ruined.

:rofl: -Love it!
I don't like golf ... but when I've played, it's all about the stogie. I'd save the pipe for the barbecue afterward.

Status
Not open for further replies.