PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

boston

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2018
Boston
I own two guitars and one banjo, and play all of them poorly. Got started buying my banjo and acoustic guitar from a neighbor in Connecticut maybe 40 years ago. His name was Ace Frehley. Years later after college I purchased a Strat, and got Ok with it, but work and family took most of my time and I never really got back into the hobby.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I know there is at least one more guitar player on here, I'm waiting to see if he posts.
You talking about me?

I bought my first guitar about the same time as Mike, 10 months ago? Mike and I have PM'd often about our progress. I pick one string at a time and I can play a couple of simple tunes without sheet music. Chords...that's where I have problems. I struggle with my fat finger tips.

I practice 4-5 days a week (30-60 minutes) and I find it very relaxing even when I'm struggling with it.

Reactions: whsergent

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
You talking about me?

I bought my first guitar about the same time as Mike, 10 months ago? Mike and I have PM'd often about our progress. I pick one string at a time and I can play a couple of simple tunes without sheet music. Chords...that's where I have problems. I struggle with my fat finger tips.

I practice 4-5 days a week (30-60 minutes) and I find it very relaxing even when I'm struggling with it.
yes sir!

Pretty soon Scott and I will have our band together out playing gigs.
2-3-4 fingers, or alternatively if you're double jointed in the fingers, first finger barre across D, G, B strings, open E ringing. Or you could barre major chord shape on the 5th fret. So many options!!
2-3-4 fingers? I'm open to looking at different options!

Reactions: scloyd

kg.legat0

Lifer
Sep 6, 2019
Southwestern PA
Guitar for 31 years now. I play solo acoustic gigs in bars around town every other weekend so my wife doesn’t kill me. Otherwise it would be every weekend. Just played last night- had a blast!

Below was a recent show for the Blue Angels’ end of season party. Fun night!

View attachment 15322

I do a lot of solo gigs, too --this looks like a really fun night!! The Blue Angels come to my town every other year, never miss it. :)

Reactions: Akousticplyr

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Started playing drums in 6th grade. Sadly, never really stuck to discipline, just played by feel and by myself. Sold drums after high school. I think I was 41 or so when I decided to buy an electric set to mess around with. Well the bug bit! Started lessons, got together with some guys from my synagogue and started, hold on to your seats a Jewish Rock Cover Band. Yes, there is genre, yes there are some very talented people to cover. It was a lot of fun for community events. I also play cajon and my smaller 3 piece kit at synagogue for musical services once a month.

The bass player and I grabbed a friend and started a power trio of classic rock and 90’s alternative covers. We have played a few bars and a private party. I ditched the electrics for a nice maple set of Tama’s. Can’t wait to keep playing. The saying about never to old to enjoy it is true. Glad I went back and picked it up again. Not quitting my job, but just having a ball with it.

Spa32

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 2, 2019
Wisconsin, USA
Neil would be proud! I would just be lost ?
Neil was a favorite of mine growing up. My Starclassic Maples were a lot of fun. I was mostly self taught and could never really read music. I would just have a blast sitting down and making as much noise as possible.

Btw, what series were the maple Tama's?

Reactions: kg.legat0

vates

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2019
I play the bass in two local bands: dark-country (posted a pic somewhere here) and Celtic punk/folk-rock/metal-ish. Also the acoustic guitar (prefer Martins and Gibsons) in Irish pub-songs ad-hoc project and in Scandinavian neo-folk choir/band. I play the mandolin and the electric guitar at home and sometimes on the records of my bands. Music takes almost all of my free time (which is not that much left after the day job and family).

Reactions: jttnk and kg.legat0
Status
Not open for further replies.