PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

falconsmoker

Might Stick Around
Sep 4, 2021
Half & Half, never to grace my pipes again.

I went by my local smoke shop this afternoon to pick up another can of Sir Walter Raleigh, while there I noticed they had a fresh box of Half & Half pouches and a couple of cans on the shelf. So I decided to give it another try and bought a pouch. I have now smoked a couple of back to back bowls and my opinion of this blend has not changed.

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
The first time I smoked Stanwell Kir & Apple, it tasted like I was smoking Ethel Merman's pubic hair. So I jarred it, and kept it buried behind a bunch of other stuff for close to a year, and all but forgot about it. I tried it again earlier this month after doing the inventory I posted about, and it surprisingly made a difference. Nice for when I want a very mild aromatic that doesn't taste like it's open season at the local bakery.

• Haha
Reactions: STP and OzPiper

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Early on when I first returned to smoking pipes, I relied on reviews to pick blends to try.

2 blends I didn't like initially and even less so on reaquaintance - a Boswell's chocolate concoction and a Seattle Pipe Club rum-topped blend, both with great reviews.

I love chocolate and have a large collection of rums, so I got those thinking "what's not to love".
I'll stick to eating chocolate and sipping rum. But put them in a bowl ? Forget that !

Luckily one of my pipe-smoking mates loved them, so he's got both now.

As @sablebrush52 put it - "different strokes ......". A friend gave me some Penzance to try along with the comment "that he was not overly fond of it". I loved the very 1st bowl and every one since. I've been the recipient of quite a few generous bags of Penzance from him since then.

Hence my advice to newcomers to pipes asking for tobacco recommendations to "trust your own palate. Opinions from others, well-meaning though they may be, are just opinions, and may not resonate with you".

JohnClyde

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 8, 2020
UK
I don't know what it is in the stuff but I have tried and tried to find something redeemable in GL Pease JackKnife Plug and Triple Play.

To me it's akin to snorting an ashtray. Or in the case of triple play, snorting an ashtray through a pepper grinder.