PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hairvise

Can't Leave
May 23, 2018
San Francisco
Being that many of us are stuck working from home, I'm curious what folks smoke while they are working. I'm at a computer a lot of the day, and I notice that if I'm smoking some delicious Vaper (Solani 633 right now), and I'm not paying full attention to it, I lose out on a lot of the flavor and I end up getting ashy taste until I stop and focus again. Which is a good thing, but sometimes a just want an easy smoke--easy to pack, not finnicky, could be repeatable.

I smoke outside on a deck, so room note is not an issue. I do enjoy English blends, but right now, with the heat, they aren't calling to me.

So, any suggestions for a smoker like me (I would say that I'm no longer a beginner by any means, but I don't have years and years of pipe smoking experience either)?

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I don't distinguish between blends like that. If it tastes good, it tastes good. Also when I'm working. If I miss out on some flavors because of it, it doesn't matter, because the ones I don't miss out on are also good ?
But I can add that I find pure virginia blends less demanding than va/pers. Va/pers can develop some harshness while virginias only seem to get a little muted when overpuffed.

hairvise

Can't Leave
May 23, 2018
San Francisco
I don't distinguish between blends like that. If it tastes good, it tastes good. Also when I'm working. If I miss out on some flavors because of it, it doesn't matter, because the ones I don't miss out on are also good ?
But I can add that I find pure virginia blends less demanding than va/pers. Va/pers can develop some harshness while virginias only seem to get a little muted when overpuffed.
Thanks for that response! I didn't know that pure Virginia's are less demanding--point well taken! Thank you for the advice. I'll have to bust out the Union Square I have somewhere.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Burley is the next frontier for me! Any suggestions for a burley that won't leaving me crawling on the ground begging for mercy? I've heard the rumors--and I'm intrigued!
Carter Hall, Sutliff Chatham Manor, Peter Stokkebye Cube Cut, C&D Winchester
Any of those I would consider “gateway” Burley-forward blends. Winchester has some Cavendish made from Green River Kentucky Burley, which smooths it out quite a lot.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I started using computers back in 1985 and have never smoked around my computers. For about 10 years part of my job was to keep the computers working and I learned what happens when cigarette (and cigar) smoke gets inside of them. The biggest problem is not the smell which is worse than sticking your nose in an old ashtray but the residue that coats the processors and components - including the fan. The coating on the fan reduces the fan effectiveness. The coating on the components and processors (and heat sinks) prevents them from cooling as effectively as they should.

hairvise

Can't Leave
May 23, 2018
San Francisco
I started using computers back in 1985 and have never smoked around my computers. For about 10 years part of my job was to keep the computers working and I learned what happens when cigarette (and cigar) smoke gets inside of them. The biggest problem is not the smell which is worse than sticking your nose in an old ashtray but the residue that coats the processors and components - including the fan. The coating on the fan reduces the fan effectiveness. The coating on the components and processors (and heat sinks) prevents them from cooling as effectively as they should.
Thanks for the heads-up on this! Well, if it's a choice between earning a livelihood and smoking a pipe...something's got to give! Hmm...

Reactions: kurtbob and BROBS

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
yeah it's pretty disgusting. And it gets pretty thick too.

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
Being that many of us are stuck working from home, I'm curious what folks smoke while they are working. I'm at a computer a lot of the day, and I notice that if I'm smoking some delicious Vaper (Solani 633 right now), and I'm not paying full attention to it, I lose out on a lot of the flavor and I end up getting ashy taste until I stop and focus again. Which is a good thing, but sometimes a just want an easy smoke--easy to pack, not finnicky, could be repeatable.

I smoke outside on a deck, so room note is not an issue. I do enjoy English blends, but right now, with the heat, they aren't calling to me.

So, any suggestions for a smoker like me (I would say that I'm no longer a beginner by any means, but I don't have years and years of pipe smoking experience either)?
I only smoke a few days a week and only one bowl each time. I typically pick a theme for the week and go with it. Lately that's been either straight Virginia, VaPer, VaOr, or Aromatics.

I really enjoyed some Watch City Rhythm & Blues while making and canning a batch of salsa today!

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
I really like Cornell and Diehl Three Friars because it has a really consistent taste from beginning to end, and it doesn't misbehave if you get absentminded for awhile. I also like it because, well, it's delicious. Here's my review from tobaccoreviews.com:

Note: I won't be discussing this blend in reference to either the original or the current Three Nuns. I've never smoked it, and I don't think this blend needs comparison to any other.

I generally know whether I'll like a blend or not after my first bowl.

Three Friars is the exception to this rule. This was the first Burley and Perique blend I had ever smoked, and I didn't quite know what to make of it. My first impression was that it had a funky 'old man' taste. But after smoking a few bowls, I grew to like it. In fact, I grew to REALLY like it.

The burley is the star of the show in this blend, but the perique adds a really important element and makes it delightful. The grassy Virginia plays a backup role in this, but I would miss it if it weren't there. The smoke is pretty full and rich, and has a kind of grey velvet quality.

Something I really like about this blend, and which makes it a perfect all day smoke is that the flavor is very consistent throughout the bowl. You can enjoy it as you light it, zone out and forget about it for a while, and come back to it without missing anything.

If you're a burley fan but are looking for something a little more interesting than a codger burley, but which can still do service as a no-fuss all-day smoke, look no further than Three Friars. Four stars.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I really like Cornell and Diehl Three Friars because it has a really consistent taste from beginning to end, and it doesn't misbehave if you get absentminded for awhile. I also like it because, well, it's delicious. Here's my review from tobaccoreviews.com:

Note: I won't be discussing this blend in reference to either the original or the current Three Nuns. I've never smoked it, and I don't think this blend needs comparison to any other.

I generally know whether I'll like a blend or not after my first bowl.

Three Friars is the exception to this rule. This was the first Burley and Perique blend I had ever smoked, and I didn't quite know what to make of it. My first impression was that it had a funky 'old man' taste. But after smoking a few bowls, I grew to like it. In fact, I grew to REALLY like it.

The burley is the star of the show in this blend, but the perique adds a really important element and makes it delightful. The grassy Virginia plays a backup role in this, but I would miss it if it weren't there. The smoke is pretty full and rich, and has a kind of grey velvet quality.

Something I really like about this blend, and which makes it a perfect all day smoke is that the flavor is very consistent throughout the bowl. You can enjoy it as you light it, zone out and forget about it for a while, and come back to it without missing anything.

If you're a burley fan but are looking for something a little more interesting than a codger burley, but which can still do service as a no-fuss all-day smoke, look no further than Three Friars. Four stars.
well you sold me on that.

F4RM3R

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 28, 2019
Canada
Something mildly aromatic with a focus on burley. Macbarens Amphora full aroma? I've only bought it once and probably wouldn't again as it's not for me. But it's burley and Virginia based with a slight topping and some Kentucky and orientals in the mix. Easy going, lightly flavoured with a focus on a natural tobacco forward taste and a little complexity from the orientals if you happen to zone in for a minute.

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
I'm in the same situation, working from home and smoking like a chimney at my computer (I couldn't care less what it looks/smells like inside). I usually switch up blends and genres all day to keep it interesting. Some of my workaday mainstays :
Hal o the Wynd
Old Gowrie
Amphora Burley
Amphora Virginia
Pegasus
Old Dark Fired
Irish Flake
HU Makhuwa
HU Nashville County
Ready Rubbed Match
Walnut Match
GH Co Brown Flake Unscented
GH Co #25 with 5 Brothers
Salty Dogs
3Ps
And a few others. These are all blends that don't require me to pay attention in order to get a really nice smoke. I usually pack a few pipes the night before so I can just grab something and light it up without getting distracted from my work.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I'm in the same situation, working from home and smoking like a chimney at my computer (I couldn't care less what it looks/smells like inside). I usually switch up blends and genres all day to keep it interesting. Some of my workaday mainstays :

The problem is what it looks likes or smells like on the inside. The problem is the damage it does to the computer. If you've got the money to replace your computer every two or three years, that's fine.

hairvise

Can't Leave
May 23, 2018
San Francisco
Hal o the Wynd
Old Gowrie
Amphora Burley
Thanks so much for the list! This is great. I currently have none of these blends, so I'll be looking to purchase some asap!

Status
Not open for further replies.