PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Most of my work these days is at my computer in the man cave. I smoke the same blends whether I'm sitting at the computer or doing anything else.

I don't agree with smoke causing great damage to the computer unless you fail to clean or change out the filter as needed. The vast majority of a computer is made up of silicon chips that have zero moving parts. The only thing that bothers them is electrical spikes and over heating. The newer mother boards are even liquid cooled. I'd like to understand, aside from the air intake filter, how smoke will damage a computer and require a replacement every 2 or 3 years.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
The majority of the liquid cooled computers are those desktop computers designed for gaming and not work. And while the majority of chips are made of silicon, they do heat up. I've also rarely see a computer with air intake filters these days but I haven't done any computer repair work in the past three years.

As for the damage, the smoke will coat even silicon chips and after a while they will prevent the chips from cooling as fast and that can lead to over heating. By the way, I've never seen a computer chip that had moving parts. But that's just me.

--dante--

Lifer
Jun 11, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA USA
Being that many of us are stuck working from home, I'm curious what folks smoke while they are working. I'm at a computer a lot of the day, and I notice that if I'm smoking some delicious Vaper (Solani 633 right now), and I'm not paying full attention to it, I lose out on a lot of the flavor and I end up getting ashy taste until I stop and focus again. Which is a good thing, but sometimes a just want an easy smoke--easy to pack, not finnicky, could be repeatable.

I smoke outside on a deck, so room note is not an issue. I do enjoy English blends, but right now, with the heat, they aren't calling to me.

So, any suggestions for a smoker like me (I would say that I'm no longer a beginner by any means, but I don't have years and years of pipe smoking experience either)?
I keep several easy to pack, easy to keep lit blends for that very purpose, and prefer them to be pretty straightforward, no attention required (as in simple blends). My goto blends for that are Briar Fox (though it's a crumble cake, so it takes a few secs), Cockstrong, Haunted Bookshop or Old Joe Krantz, and Pegasus. I can absent-mindedly smoke any of those, clenching, while my mind and hands are occupied elsewhere (with work, mind you ;)

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
The majority of the liquid cooled computers are those desktop computers designed for gaming and not work. And while the majority of chips are made of silicon, they do heat up. I've also rarely see a computer with air intake filters these days but I haven't done any computer repair work in the past three years.

As for the damage, the smoke will coat even silicon chips and after a while they will prevent the chips from cooling as fast and that can lead to over heating. By the way, I've never seen a computer chip that had moving parts. But that's just me.

Me neither, you are implying I said differently? My desktop has a liquid cooled motherboard and isn't a gaming computer. Just has a lot of HP.

Reactions: BROBS and kurtbob

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
The problem is what it looks likes or smells like on the inside. The problem is the damage it does to the computer. If you've got the money to replace your computer every two or three years, that's fine.
I'd think it would have to be a lot of smoke, yes?
like a constantly clouded room.

Reactions: kurtbob

artvandelay007

Can't Leave
Apr 11, 2018
Wichita, KS
I’m also working from home at least through the end of the year unless I start doing some different work. I smoke on the deck like you. If you’re outdoors you don’t have to worry about you computer at all, I’m not sure I’d worry about it anyway. I smoke the same stuff I normally would. Lately I’ve been smoking Bad Nun, Hampton Flake, Stonehenge Flake, Brebbia Balkan and Orlik DSK.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I'd think it would have to be a lot of smoke, yes?
like a constantly clouded room.
Not necessarily and I don't know about newer desktops or those with liquid-cooled motherboards. Most of the towers I worked on in the past had twin fans and they would pull the smoke in. In one of the repair courses I took, they showed a time-lapse video of smoke being pulled into computers both with a filter and without. The one without air filters had smoke residue on the components within two weeks. The one with filters, didn't start showing signs of residue for three months but the filters were really dirty and the internal temperature of the computer was higher than it should have been.

hairvise

Can't Leave
May 23, 2018
San Francisco
Just a followup on this thread. I just smoked my first ever bowl of Old Joe Krantz in a small grabow, and my first impression is----boy does that tobacco leave a dry taste in my mouth! It is nutty and smooth, but I found myself hankering for something a bit sweeter! I'm not giving up on it after one smoke, but I did find loading up some navy flake after to cleanse the palate.
I also realized that pipe shape makes a difference when working. I prefer a light jaw hanger so that I'm not constantly needing to handing the pipe while I'm in the middle of typing or writing. I have a very lightweight Peterson 317 that does the trick!
Thanks again for all of the advice!

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Just a followup on this thread. I just smoked my first ever bowl of Old Joe Krantz in a small grabow, and my first impression is----boy does that tobacco leave a dry taste in my mouth! It is nutty and smooth, but I found myself hankering for something a bit sweeter! I'm not giving up on it after one smoke, but I did find loading up some navy flake after to cleanse the palate.
I also realized that pipe shape makes a difference when working. I prefer a light jaw hanger so that I'm not constantly needing to handing the pipe while I'm in the middle of typing or writing. I have a very lightweight Peterson 317 that does the trick!
Thanks again for all of the advice!
Old Joe Krantz is a great blend, but I wouldn’t consider it an easygoing all day blend, which is what I think you were looking for.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Another vote for Carter Hall. Really, I’d recommend experimenting with all the various codger burleys (including the more recent creations like P&C butternut burley, anglers dream, etc) and seeing what you like. As many of us know, burley blends go great in a cob. Just taste a little sweeter and less bitter somehow.

I don’t drink my good scotch when I’m already four drinks deep and not paying any attention to it, and likewise for good tobacco. A good plain easy smoke is always something to keep around IMO.

Reactions: hairvise

rajangan

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 14, 2018
Edmonton, AB
I'm still working 'at work' which is awesome. I can smoke at work, while I work, which is also awesome. However, I'm too disorganized with my pipes and tobacco. I usually have bags or jars of various unblended homegrown tobacco, and make impromptu mixes on the fly, one pipe at a time because many of them need to be sliced or cut. Yesterday was equal parts: Costello (a flue cured), Kasturi (an Indonesian sun cured), and purchased St. James perique.

Status
Not open for further replies.