Status
Not open for further replies.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
Here is a sticky thread for posting packing techniques/methods.

For the sake of keeping things easy to find and streamlined, please try not to post duplicate methods.

If there is a method already listed and you changed something or do something different with it, go ahead and post it.

Also, please keep the posts strictly towards packing techniques to prevent the thread from being long and hard to locate the information.

Any posts that are not packing techniques/methods will be deleted for the sake of cleanliness and easy to find info.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
I have tried several methods over the years. The only method that never fails me is what we call "codger scoop". You just grab some tobacco from pouch using your pipe, then tamp with your finger. If you are not using a pouch, then just pick up some tobacco with your fingers, fill the pipe and tamp lightly. Continue until your pipe is full. Please note that it takes some time to feel the tobacco and tamp correctly. Now light up your bowl and enjoy.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
When packing a system pipe Peterson do the first fill layer at an angle sloping up against the airway. Then fill up completely and press it straight down. This will give you a complete burn in a system pipe. ?

JPremo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 22, 2020
Viva Las Vegas
When I first started as a Pipe smoker years ago I tried a few different methods from that first article, namely the Triple pack and the Frank methods.

But as a returning pipe smoker let me add in here, I'm very rusty at packing a pipe to the point where I can tell the draw from the resistance on my finger and get it to burn smooth.

That being said, I have had my best smokes by far with the Air Pocket method!
While I find it gives much shorter smokes than the other methods (some of you may prefer that) it has stayed lit and burned through every single time I've tried it. On top of that it gives no hint of tongue bite developing where it did using my same sipping smoking style with the other methods.

Again, not an expert here at all, but from my testing this Air Pocket method seems to result is a cooler smoke with less to zero relights.

Thanks for the video and the info on it PipesMagazine!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I have tried several methods over the years. The only method that never fails me is what we call "codger scoop". You just grab some tobacco from pouch using your pipe, then tamp with your finger. If you are not using a pouch, then just pick up some tobacco with your fingers, fill the pipe and tamp lightly. Continue until your pipe is full. Please note that it takes some time to feel the tobacco and tamp correctly. Now light up your bowl and enjoy.

Yup! This works perfectly for me for all but the specialty cuts, which Bob has linked to above.

If the tobacco is dried right, it won't clump, it won't smolder, and it will be easy to load with a digit from a pouch, or pinches in the fingers from a jar.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Codger scoop usually does it for me.

I'm not a fan of fold and stuff as I prefer my tobaccos quite dry. Flakes I generally rub out or cube cut, than let dry until they're at the right moisture content to bring out all of the flavors. Then I gravity feed and tamp lightly.
My method has become so ingrained and reliable it's almost criminal. I start with a gravity feed to make sure the Lane Q-1 reaches the bottom, then a healthy pinch with my thumb. Tamp it flat for the charing light, then another tamp after the true light. This sounds complicated but it is so second nature to me that it's done in less than a minute.

I'm pretty sure that all of these packing styles are to teach a newbie how tight or loose their tobacco should be. Then after they get the gist of it, all you have to do is the codger scoop. That is just how I've interpreted all of these fancy packs.
But, some guys get all into the whole ritualistic aspect of the pipe, and that's cool too. Me, I'm in it for the smoke, not all of the glamorous hocus pocus. puffy

Leo Ianaro

Lurker
Oct 15, 2020
Here is a sticky thread for posting packing techniques/methods.

For the sake of keeping things easy to find and streamlined, please try not to post duplicate methods.

If there is a method already listed and you changed something or do something different with it, go ahead and post it.

Also, please keep the posts strictly towards packing techniques to prevent the thread from being long and hard to locate the information.

Any posts that are not packing techniques/methods will be deleted for the sake of cleanliness and easy to find info.
Thanks for the info!

Reactions: python and BROBS

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
One Handed Loading. Best from a tub, wide mouthed jar or your pouch or tin on solid surface.

With your thumb or a single finger, depending on bowl diameter, feed the tobacco into your bowl in small increments, (pinch size) maybe 6-8, feeling that each layer remains springy to the touch.

Why this works so well.

Since your thumb or finger cannot reach (fit into) the bottom of the bowl, it ensures that the first layers of the tobacco are loose.

At a point where you can actually press on the tobacco, (maybe mid bowl) it’ll compress gently by feel.

From mid bowl to top, lightly press each tiny addition maintaining springiness.

With the last bit, rotate the thumb to settle the tobacco just below the rim. Ensure springback to your press.

No looking is required. This will become second nature. It’s simply a matter of developing feel.

Codger scoop explicated.

Status
Not open for further replies.