• Coin Cut Tobacco

Votes: 2 2.5%

• Total voters

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
I voted coins. Because they're my favorite. They fold and stuff perfectly.
They're also way more valuable than real coins. You'll never see anyone trying to pay at a vending machine with Escudo. Except maybe @cosmicfolklore after a couple wine coolers.

Just kidding, buddy....love your comedic additions to the forum. Please, no defamation suits. :LOL:

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
I like the variety more than any one individual cut, it is part of the novelty of the hobby I guess. I more frequently pack something that is ribbon or rubbed out because it is ready to go, but I enjoy all the more involved versions too. Shag took me a long time to be able to smoke it comfortably, and even now I prefer it blended in with slower burning stuff.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

64alex

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2016
Even if more time consuming to prepare I never found a plug or rope blend which I did not find at least excellent, so it is my preferred type. And the preparation for me is not a cons but a pros as I feel being part of the experience raising expectations for the actual smoke.
I go with other cuts only for type of blends, mainly English and Orientals, which do not have a correspondent plug or rope

thebigragu

Can't Leave
Aug 31, 2019
Needs of the Army
I'm going to say cube cut just to be different. I don't think three 's such a thing as cube cut virginias or cavendish or orientals, just cube cut burley. I wonder why? Current examples on my rotation are Crooner and Uhle's 255.
It’s funny you said crooners is in ur current rotation I was literally just looking at it contemplating buying some to try out

Reactions: anotherbob

HopHand

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 17, 2021
Montrose Colorado
When it comes to smoking it. I only ask it not be so fine I suck it up my stem.
But the inner child in me loves to pull a knife out of my collection (My other hobby) and "play" with the plugs. It's just a kick that feels so traditional and manly?‍♂️
Also find a jar full of coins to be just stunning. Don't really smoke them any more than the other cuts but they are the only ones out on a shelf visible simply cause i find them visually attractive.
And yup fully aware those are dumb/childish/ridiculous reasons ?‍♂️

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Then my second favorite cut is shag. I find shag once you get the handle on how to smoke it is very well behaved. It's like that one dog that won't listen to most people but with the few people it will listen to it demonstrates that dogs understand more English then people give them credit for. What kind of dog am I talking about cats, people think they don't listen but if you know how to talk to them they'll listen without any training.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I've been enjoying all of the formats equally. They each bring something to the table, in burn characteristics and flavor.

Plugs were the last holdouts for me, as I didn't have a good system for processing them. My recent "antique" plug cutter acquisition seems to be a game changer, making the cutting a breeze.

1634617554494.jpeg

Mar 1, 2014
Wow, with Shag having 1/8 of the votes right now I feel like it's dramatically under-represented in the blends on the market.

If you look at the Tobacco Locator on Smokingpipes.com, they have a thousand blends listed under Ribbon Cut, and nearly 200 blends under Flake, but only 13 blends in Shag.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Wow, with Shag having 1/8 of the votes right now I feel like it's dramatically under-represented in the blends on the market.

If you look at the Tobacco Locator on Smokingpipes.com, they have a thousand blends listed under Ribbon Cut, and nearly 200 blends under Flake, but only 13 blends in Shag.
What are some of your favorite shag blends/brands?

Mar 1, 2014
Yeh, but I've also read so many reviews on here where the reviewer calls a ribbon cut a shag... so, I take the results with a grain of salt.
There is a grey area, I still say Dunhill blends (now Peterson) are some of the best for new pipesmokers because of the fine cut.
One of my biggest regrets is never taking the courage to try and buy Nightcap and Elizabethan when they were available in Bulk.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have 43 different blends in my cellar. 2 are a chopped cut and 1 is a ready rubbed. The rest are flakes, plugs and a rope. I prefer smoking a folded and stuffed flake over any other type of cut. I get a cooler and more flavorful smoke from a flake which is why I smoke them all the time.