PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I have never seen another pipe smoker in the wild.

BTW,

Doesn't the pipe smoke stink up your car? Curious.....
not really? sometimes if I smoke a lot and then roll up the windows and lock up the car it might still smell like smoke, but it airs out pretty easily. It certainly doesn't smell like cigarettes.

as long as you don't keep used pipe cleaners, half-smoked pipes, and ash/dottle in the car it doesn't make it bad.

I guess I'm the neophyte who wants to discuss the tobacco and pipes...
You should join a pipe club. Someone from my own Magic City Pipe Club made up these cards that explains days and times of the meetings. Now, when someone says, "Hey, what tobacco is that?" I just hand them a card. puffy
That way you can discuss such things without looking silly, and I can continue to smoke without removing the pipe from my mouth. win win

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
ha.. pipe club? Maybe there are a lot more pipesmokers where you're from?
Where would we have a meeting here and who would go?
There is nowhere that allows smoking, even in our B&M.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
I would suggest just waving or nodding in acknowledgement when you see a pipesmoker, but avoid the whole, "what you smoking? or what kinda pipe is that?" questions. I'll save pipe talk for the forums.
I'm in full agreement with this. I'd feel uncomfortable if someone I didn't know approached me while I was smoking a pipe and wanted to talk about pipes and tobacco or any of that (attractive ladies excepted). Chatting about the weather or something would most often be okay. Really, a pleasant nod and/or smile usually suffices.

When visiting other cities and out walking about with my pipe, I found that people would sit down and just start telling me things about themself. I would just set, smoke, nod... it's interesting how people sometimes just look for a listener. I had an idea for a detective novel, where the crimes would just solve themselves, with a pipesmoker just listening, while people voluntarily spilled their guts, as clues just fall at the detective's feet.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
I found that people would sit down and just start telling me things about themself
I haven't had that with pipe smoking but when I was a teenager I hitchhiked all around the American west. Often people gave me a lift and wanted to tell me things they felt they couldn't tell anyone else. I was a stranger they would never see again, just a random hitchhiker. These experiences provided marvelous insight into the human condition. I'm compassionate by default now; so many people suffer in ways they think they can't share with anyone. Everyone has a story.

Wait, you're a pipesmoker that think pipesmoke smells bad? WTF? I just don't understand when this comes up. Everywhere I smoke, smells better than before I smoked. puffy

I smoked Cigarettes for nigh, 25 years and

Could

Not

Stand

The

Smell! Still can't.

I DO love the smell of my pipe tobaccos but I also love the smell of my leather car, never the 2 should meet. But then again, my favorite smokes are campfire tobaccos....

I love the smell of blackened Garlic bread too, but I am certain I would not want my car to smell like it. puffy

Reactions: supperthyme

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
When visiting other cities and out walking about with my pipe, I found that people would sit down and just start telling me things about themself.
you just got one of those faces that makes people think you'd care and also got nothing to do. I got the face apparently of a man who looks like he knows where things are and how to get there. Seriously people always ask me for directions, which is a funny thing to ask a tourist.

• Haha
Reactions: cosmicfolklore

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I usually try to hide the pipe that I’m smoking while I’m driving for fear of someone calling cops because they think I’m smoking dope
You'd be rewarded in some states.

I'm kinda the opposite. I somewhat flaunt it in the car. But I don't light or relight if there's another vehicle nearby.

I smoked 2 cigars and half a bowl in my car so far. The cigars I could smell next day, but then it was gone. Half a bowl of pipe - I could smell it same day, but next day it was gone. The cabin air filter does a good job, but eventually I think the smell becomes permanent.
I have never seen another pipe smoker in the wild.

BTW,

Doesn't the pipe smoke stink up your car? Curious.....

unadoptedlamp

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 19, 2014
I don't mind if pipers come by for a chat. It is so rare that I need just two fingers to count the times it's happened.

The postal carrier was bringing by a package of tobacco when I was outside smoking in my garden. He asked about my pipe and we talked about Eltang pipes for a little while... which he knew about. I've only seen one or two pipe smokers in my community, so it was a surprise.

I got the package, knew that it was tobacco, so opened it up and gave him half of an 8oz tin of Haddo's on the spot. I think it blew his mind.

Now he hovers around just a little bit longer each time a package comes, but I don't mind. He's a nice guy.

Unusual things, like pipes, can start interesting conversations. I have a hand made wooden kayak that gets a few people coming around when I take it out. I've met a gold medal olympian rower, shared my love of water sports with a few people who were keen to start, and even made a few friends. Got some great tips on places to paddle too. It's been worth while to talk turkey about things.

My mail never gets miss-delivered!

Status
Not open for further replies.