Pipe Smoking While Driving a Convertible?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

12 Fresh Moonshine Pipes
2 Fresh Chris Asteriou Pipes
12 Fresh Mark Tinsky Pipes
12 Fresh Ser Jacopo Pipes
2 Fresh Former Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

guylesss

Can't Leave
May 13, 2020
Brooklyn, NY
Long before Dunhill's glory days in tobacco blending and pipe making, Alfred Dunhill, the company's dynamic founder (an avid motorist), realized rather earlier than most that horse drawn carriages were doomed, and
that making and marketing luxury automobile components (like headlights and speedometers) as well as accessories and clothing for drivers (under the jazzy trade name "Dunhill's Motorities") was the future. And so, finding inventive solutions to the OP's question of how to smoke a pipe while driving in a convertible was exactly the sort of challenge that Dunhill returned to fairly often. My own favorite was the "Skullcap" (described in the 1927 Export edition of "About Smoke").

Of course one does need to bear in mind that when Dunhill himself was caught in a speed trap in 1903 for driving recklessly at almost twice the legal limit, arrested, and jailed overnight, he was clocked at 22.5 mph in a 12mph zone.

Image 406.jpg

Reactions: mingc and Gecko

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
Long before Dunhill's glory days in tobacco blending and pipe making, Alfred Dunhill, the company's dynamic founder (an avid motorist), realized rather earlier than most that horse drawn carriages were doomed, and
that making and marketing luxury automobile components (like headlights and speedometers) as well as accessories and clothing for drivers (under the jazzy trade name "Dunhill's Motorities") was the future. And so, finding inventive solutions to the OP's question of how to smoke a pipe while driving in a convertible was exactly the sort of challenge that Dunhill returned to fairly often. My own favorite was the "Skullcap" (described in the 1927 Export edition of "About Smoke").

Of course one does need to bear in mind that when Dunhill himself was caught in a speed trap in 1903 for driving recklessly at almost twice the legal limit, arrested, and jailed overnight, he was clocked at 22.5 mph in a 12mph zone.

View attachment 29883
Interesting that the scale is metric and not imperial units. Might this catalogue have been for the continental European market, even though it's in English? Did Dunhill publish marketing materials back then in other languages?

guylesss

Can't Leave
May 13, 2020
Brooklyn, NY
Interesting that the scale is metric and not imperial units. Might this catalogue have been for the continental European market, even though it's in English?

Exactly! The Paris store was open. But more to the point, this version of About Smoke was the "Export Edition" and has the the name, address and phone number of Dunhill's Dutch representative, M.V. Heule, Manders & Co printed on the cover.

Reactions: mingc and jpmcwjr
I have the exact same car OP was asking about. It is exceptionally well engineered in terms of aerodynamics. Top down, windows up you can see my hair not moving, nor any kind of wind action in the face area, where the pipe would be. In the video above the speed is up to 45 miles per hour. (Since I drove about 1 hour in the backroads, the max speed was about 57-58 miles per hour.
A pipe is too fiddly to handle during a drive, and while I have not smoked a pipe top down, I have smoked cigar with the top down - no issues, but you need to be careful.

Reactions: anotherbob

gatorhazard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 26, 2020
I have a BMW 335i convertible (hard top). They are fun to drive and we just got back from cruising with the top down. I had thought about it but figured probably get the pipe too hot and I don’t smoke in my cars. I want to keep it that way. Out back right now having a bowl.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Smoking in your car is no different than talking, eating a burger, drinking a coke, etc. Smoking in a convertible without a pipe screen is not something I would do unless I did not mind burn marks on the leather, burned-out pipes, ashes in the face, etc.

Reactions: anotherbob
Jan 27, 2020
Smoking in your car is no different than talking, eating a burger, drinking a coke, etc. Smoking in a convertible without a pipe screen is not something I would do unless I did not mind burn marks on the leather, burned-out pipes, ashes in the face, etc.

Even if by a really small chance someone sees you riding in a convertible smoking a pipe and actually thinks it looks cool?

5star

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
My first car as a kid was a convertible. I didn't smoke a pipe back then but I don't see how this could be accomplished without the top up. Maybe you could get away with smoking a cigar, though I wouldn't try smoking a good one. Maybe a yardgar. I moved back to the area where I lived and it's extremely windy here. (As I sit here it's a windy day with the winds shifting constantly in intensity & direction.) So, my opinion is based on conditions here.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2020
Funny, I was sitting having a pipe and this guy rolled by in a black Mercedes’s convertible I yelled “nice pipe” but I think he thought I was mocking him.