Pipe Smoking While Driving a Convertible?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

crazyhog

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 18, 2015
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

Hi,

I'm thinking of buying a convertible this summer. I've never smoked in my car, since I only like smoking in the out and open. I'm planning on buying a BWW 2 series convertible, if the price is right. Has anyone else smoked with the top down? Where would I place the pipe in between puffs and when I need to keep both hands on the wheel? I'm not a clencher. Thanks all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: jpmcwjr
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Where would I place the pipe in between puffs and when I need to keep both hands on the wheel? I'm not a clencher. Thanks all.
I guess you could either learn to clench your pipe or learn to clench your ass, because it’s only a matter of time before some moron cuts you off or accidentally comes over into your lane while you’re holding a pipe in one hand ?

Sorry, that was not helpful at all.

I don’t like to smoke in my vehicles. Too many soft surfaces that hold onto the smoke smell. I love the smell of fresh tobacco smoldering, but I hate the smell of old stale smoke that’s stuck in upholstery, etc. Pipes aren’t as bad as cigarettes, but they do still leave an ashtray smell over time. I know some people may disagree with that, but I have a pretty sensitive nose and I can even smell it in my workshop sometimes which doesn’t really have any soft surfaces. When I do, I get out the leaf blower and blow out the shop really well. Seems to fix it.

There’s also the factor of wind when the top is down. I have a Jeep and it would be way too windy to smoke a pipe. I imagine convertible cars would be less gusty, but can’t say for sure. Never owned one.

Best of luck on your car buying experience. The internet has helped the consumer out a lot in this endeavor. Hope you get what you want at a nice price.

neilnoff

Might Stick Around
Mar 18, 2020
Spring, TX
My "Fun car" is a Corvette C-7 convertible and even though I haven't tried to, I will not be smoking while driving. As Country Bladesmith said, with so many crazy & inattentive driver's on the roads there is a serious risk that can be easily avoided by enjoying your pipe elsewhere or when you stop for a driving break. Enjoy the car and stay safe--

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
My "Fun car" is a Corvette C-7 convertible and even though I haven't tried to, I will not be smoking while driving. As Country Bladesmith said, with so many crazy & inattentive driver's on the roads there is a serious risk that can be easily avoided by enjoying your pipe elsewhere or when you stop for a driving break. Enjoy the car and stay safe--
I smoke a pipe in the car all the time without issue. But the wind in a convertible is going to be insane and most likely blow embers all over your interior.

crazyhog

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 18, 2015
I guess you could either learn to clench your pipe or learn to clench your ass, because it’s only a matter of time before some moron cuts you off or accidentally comes over into your lane while you’re holding a pipe in one hand ?

Sorry, that was not helpful at all.

I don’t like to smoke in my vehicles. Too many soft surfaces that hold onto the smoke smell. I love the smell of fresh tobacco smoldering, but I hate the smell of old stale smoke that’s stuck in upholstery, etc. Pipes aren’t as bad as cigarettes, but they do still leave an ashtray smell over time. I know some people may disagree with that, but I have a pretty sensitive nose and I can even smell it in my workshop sometimes which doesn’t really have any soft surfaces. When I do, I get out the leaf blower and blow out the shop really well. Seems to fix it.

There’s also the factor of wind when the top is down. I have a Jeep and it would be way too windy to smoke a pipe. I imagine convertible cars would be less gusty, but can’t say for sure. Never owned one.

Best of luck on your car buying experience. The internet has helped the consumer out a lot in this endeavor. Hope you get what you want at a nice price.
Hmmm, maybe only when on cruise control then. Thx

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Yes ... once, with the top up.
Cigar a few times, also with the top up.
Cigars, once or twice with the top down ... at a speeds less than 60 miles per hour.
Handling a pipe is difficult while driving, but if it can be managed in a normal car, it can be sometimes managed in a convertible. You need to be very careful and focused. also, windows need to be up, and possibly the wind deflector installed (I have not bothered with the wind deflector personally though.

Yes, I have the same model which you are planning to buy in RWD and sports trim.

And finally, a good practice to avoid smoking in the car altogether.

Two series convertible is an amazing car (Better than 3,4,5,X2,X3,X5) if you enjoy spirited driving. Be ready to change a lot of tires - they pop very easily, specially if you select the summer tire option.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
One member's avatar is at the wheel of a ragtop British roadster (I think it is), so it can be done. I'm too one-channel to do such a thing, beside which, having had a few surgeries from skin exposure to sun, I can't do a convertible anyway. Foremost, I'd be wary of hot embers in the eyes, even with glasses. But for some, it works fine. Probably it is sour grapes, but I'd rather be "indoors" when I drive.

Reactions: crazyhog

timelord

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
I used to drive a Morgan +8. No way would I try and smoke in that whilst driving; roof up or down. Roof up - too windy; roof down - the top of my head brushed against the soft top so good chance of burning a hole in it.

Anyway; low light (750Kg) car, 4l engine, tremendous torque, no power steering and a suspension that was very sophisticated when it was originally designed in the 1930's but somewhat lacking in modern capabilities meant it was generally a good idea to keep both hands on the wheel (especially when cornering). Great fun to drive though; oh how I miss that car!