Pipe Smoking seems Cheaper than Cigars (?)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Let's say you smoke 4 Cigars per day at $6 each. $24 per day, $8,760 per year. 5 bowls of pipe tobacco per day will equal around 10 lbs per year. At $100.per pound, that amounts to $1,000 per year which leaves a difference of $7,760 per year. You could buy 10 $400 pipes per year and still be $3,760 positive for pipe tobacco.

The economics aren't even close.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
If you must pinch pennies and still not enjoy what you want to smoke, save your moneys. Smoking is a vice, a luxury vice, money is simply a tool which allows us to enjoy our wee vice, smoking. Perhaps, sooner than later, smoking will be out of reach for many economically. Too bad, of course, for growers of tobacco, vendors of tobacco products, retailers and smokers who lacked the foresight to to secure a well paying position. But, hoarders and those with the funds will be able to enjoy the nicotine. Others, of course, will pay a premium. Smoking isn't a right, is frowned on by society in general and, in the future, will once again, be the vice for those with the funds to enjoy it. And, of course, those with the foresight to cellar. Well, except in the third world where prices must be kept low so the masses may support the growers and producers. So, for most, it'll be cigarettes. Pipes and cigars will only be in reach of those who have the money. Well, we shouldn't forget cobs.

If your kids smoke, steer them into plumbing, barbering, IT or electrician jobs. These will always pay decently and so, allow them to enjoy the leaf as did their moms and dads. Teach thrift, investing and well paying, secure jobs to secure a bright future. :sher:

OverMountain

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
Western Caccalack Hinterlands
My ex wife had no idea how much my cigars cost. She had no idea how much money I made a year. When we got divorced she had to hire a forensic accountant to try and figure out where my money came from, after a year and a half he still couldn't get at me. She shouldn't have signed all the trusts I created 6 years before we got divorced. I have a knack for seeing the future.
@cigrmaster , on a tangent, do you have any recommendations on reading on wise use of trusts?

alwayslit

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2018
DC/Tampa
Let's say you smoke 4 Cigars per day at $6 each. $24 per day, $8,760 per year. 5 bowls of pipe tobacco per day will equal around 10 lbs per year. At $100.per pound, that amounts to $1,000 per year which leaves a difference of $7,760 per year. You could buy 10 $400 pipes per year and still be $3,760 positive for pipe tobacco.

....this. I'd have to admit that I'd miss smoking CC's after a while.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

noobpipes

Lurker
Sep 2, 2022
Brazil - Rio de Janeiro

That's why I'm going to start studying how to grow my own tobacco.
I think it will be cheaper!

Rockyrepose

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Wyoming USA
I like choices, I like hundreds of choices evidently when it comes to tobacco consumption, economics didn't factor into it. You think you become sneakier getting it into the house or at least that's what you try to convince yourself. Good thing my wife loves me. I worked hard at not buying any of the things I had in my cart on a couple of sites for the "sales" this weekend and walked away clean of any guilt. LOL

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
@cigrmaster , on a tangent, do you have any recommendations on reading on wise use of trusts?
I wish I could help. I have an estate attorney who did all the legal work. I just signed where he told me to. He was my fathers estate attorney and all of my dads heavy hitters also use him. I told him what I wanted protected and he made it happen. I was trying to protect my 2 businesses and my home. It worked out well.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I'd do it for the fun and curiosity. If you count your time, I seriously doubt you can grow your own cheaper than you can buy it.
You're not wrong !

I have a very wealthy wine-loving friend who enjoys bringing the odd bottle of "homemade" wine.

His vineyard is all of 5 x100 foot long rows of vines.
The wine is made, bottled and labelled for him by a local winemaker.
On one visit, he had 2 horticulturists pruning the vines. He had them flown up from Tasmania to do an afternoon's worth of work.

For what it costs him to make a few buckets of wine, he could afford a case of the best Bordeaux.

But he enjoys showing off HIS wine to his mates.
So for him, it is worth all the expense and trouble.

That Guy

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 8, 2021
Central Florida
Two main reasons I pick up a pipe before a cigar is cost and time.
Average cost of a tin of tobacco that could last me a week is $12.
Average cost of a cigar that I normally would smoke twice a day is $10 per cigar.
Smoke time with pipe around an hour.
Smoke time with a cigar 2-2.5 hours.
I still enjoy cigars very much but now I normally save them for the golf course or when I know I've got the time to devote to them.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

maker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 22, 2018
I see them as completely different things and not just a method of getting a nic hit. I drink wine and beer. The wine may be much more expensive but I still like beer too. I don't find the taste of a Cuban cigar to be that similar to a bowl of Night Cap. I think everyone smokes what they like based mainly on taste and not necessarily on price. If its just the nicotine then you might as well get a vape its cheaper than both.