Pipe Smoking seems Cheaper than Cigars (?)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

JohnnyRockets

Lurker
Sep 1, 2022
Tecumseh, Michigan
Hi all,

After the initial investment into a pipe and lighter and a bit of tobacco, I'd say pipe smoking it going to be waaaaaaay cheaper for me.

I smoked one pipe's worth yesterday in the time it would have taken me to polish off a $12 cigar.

It didn't seem to make a very big dent in the little 1 oz. pack of pipe tobacco that I bought either.

So for me this could be a big "win".... Unless I'm missing something...

But to be fair, EVERYONE'S mileage varies I'm sure. :)

JR

Last edited by a moderator:

danish

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 12, 2017
Denmark
I went from smoking 20K worth of cigars per year to acquiring a 20 year cellar of pipe tobacco for only 18-20 grand. I would say that is a hell of a deal.
Normally I find it somewhat unmanly, when people mentioning problems with wives, because of eg PAD/TAD. But when correcting your above figures with inflation and new heavy taxes here, if I took up your old cigar habit, I presume I could run into some problems with my wife😱haha

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Normally I find it somewhat unmanly, when people mentioning problems with wives, because of eg PAD/TAD. But when correcting your above figures with inflation and new heavy taxes here, if I took up your old cigar habit, I presume I could run into some problems with my wife😱haha
My ex wife had no idea how much my cigars cost. She had no idea how much money I made a year. When we got divorced she had to hire a forensic accountant to try and figure out where my money came from, after a year and a half he still couldn't get at me. She shouldn't have signed all the trusts I created 6 years before we got divorced. I have a knack for seeing the future.

JohnnyRockets

Lurker
Sep 1, 2022
Tecumseh, Michigan
If you enjoy cigars ... then you are missing something ... the full flavor of a good cigar. I enjoy cigars as much as a pipe when a cigar is called for. And, if you are smoking a pipe instead of a cigar because of economics, well that's just sad.:sher:
Truly there is a difference! Both fill different "desires" maybe? Not sure on that one! I'll still have a cigar with my friends, that's for sure and probably come back to them somewhat now and again, but I am enjoying the "differences" between pipes and cigars! :)

JR

Swiss Army Knife

Can't Leave
Jul 12, 2021
North Carolina
Even if you're the kind of guy to buy super high end artisan pipes and only smoke secondhand Christmas Cheer bought off 4Noggins I don't think you could match how expensive cigar smoking is.

To put it into perspective: One smoke is one cigar. There's some people who can stomach presmoked day old cigars but those people are animals. So even if you're buying boxes of really cheap cigars like a Fuente Exquisitos Maduro (50 box) that's like $2.50 a smoke. You smoke everyday that's $900 a year. It shoots up immensely if you're buying B&M or smoking anything remotely high end.

Us cheap bastards in pipe land have it good. Average pipe bowl's worth of tobacco is like 3g, a single 50g tin of something overpriced like Peterson Deluxe Navy Rolls is going to run you $1.20 a bowl if you're paying $20 for the tin. When you get into bulks it gets even better.

I wince at how much I've spent on this hobby but in comparison to cigars I'm making out like a bandit.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't find the thrift factor of smoking a pipe as compared to a cigar "sad" at all, although I distinctly prefer smoking a pipe. Indeed, for the price of one premium cigar (name your own price on that) you can buy a tin of premium pipe tobacco which will give you roughly twenty smokes, maybe a few more.

If not smoking cigars is some sort of dire deprivation to you, that's sad. But I don't find it so, though I do enjoy a cigar now and then. I think of it as the cigar being a restaurant meal, designed by the cigar maker to give you a specific experience built into the cigar.

Whereas, pipe smoking is like home cooking, where you have control of he pipe, its shape and size of chamber, how you pack it, with a thousand options on blends, mixing blends, condiments, and flavorings. You can control and change this in many ways, tailoring the experience to your mood and desires.

I can savor a cigar, but I always favor a pipe.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I always hated cigars. Only after getting into pipe smoking and developing an understanding of the various tobaccos, could I eventually come to appreciate cigars.

I still prefer the variety of pipe tobacco.

The fact that is much less expensive is just icing on the cake.

If you ever miss cigar smoking, just keep a stack of ten dollar bills on your smoking table and occasionally use one to light your pipe...

nnnn

1662412216148.png

grayjoe

Lurker
Sep 23, 2016
Columbia, MO
I smoke mostly bundled cigars, including some mixed filler that I can get from the Devil Site for under 25 bucks for 20. Honestly they’re pretty darn good but I don’t have a refined palate. After the cost of my pipes, and I try to stay under $120 and don’t buy many, it’s STILL cheaper to smoke my pipe.

Joe