PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

will346

Lurker
Nov 30, 2015
Hi, I'm from near Dublin, Ireland. I have been a long time smoker of cigarettes, but never really enjoyed them. I have suffered on and off from anxiety, general anxiety and found in the past that pipe smoking relaxed me and brought things into perspective. I have recently decided to stop with the cigarettes, frankly they'll kill me eventually and only smoke the pipe (which I don't inhale). My query to other pipe smokers out there, is as to whether (a) other people find they generally 'zone out' and relax completely smoking their favourite pipe/tobacco and (b) whether anyone else who suffers from occasional anxiety has also found that pipe smoking makes them feel a bit more on an even keel as it has with me?

cynicismandsugar

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2015
Springfield, Mo
Welcome to the forum!
My wife notices a drastic difference in my stress level when I sit down with pipe in hand, and encourages me to indulge fairly often. Her observations were reinforced when, during a trip to the local E.R. (for anxiety/stress related heart issues) the attending physician suggested (off the record) that I sit down, a bit more often, and relax with a beer and my pipe.
When I finally took some time out to smoke, after a several month hiatus, not only did I notice quite the difference in my mood, I also felt much of the anxiety-weight being lifted off my chest. So, I agree with you, that pipes can be a source of complete Zen.
Luckily for my two daughters, this means they can keep living in the house.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
My experiences have been quite similar to yours; pipe smoking does seem to quell my anxious moments quite a bit.

mustanggt

Dec 6, 2012
Ah Jeffrey, you lucky guy, two teenage daughters and a wife??? Been there and done that twice!!! I had to crawl under my rock once a month to survive. :lol: Will, as Jeffrey said it will help with your stress level. I'm glad I smoke a pipe because it most certainly adds to my quality of life and generally keeps me sane.

cynicismandsugar

Nov 17, 2015
Springfield, Mo
Mustanggt, one teenager and one tween... I'm safe for about one week out of the month; the rest of the time, I just hand out tissues, chocolate, and apologies.
Oh, how did you survive it, sir?!

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
I find it helps with my depression which has aspects of anxiety. The ritual of packing and smoking a pipe slows me down; I don't zone out but it definitely relaxes me.

cfreud

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 1, 2014
Plus there's the fact you can't keep a pipe lit without breathing. The mere act of breathing tamps down anxiety/panic attacks.

mustanggt

Dec 6, 2012
Oh, how did you survive it, sir?!
Time, all it takes is time. Bless you sir for you will need all the patience and blessings you can get. :D

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Pleasant diversions are good at temporarily easing stress and anxiety. The pipe can provide a pleasant diversion. A good book, model railroading, booze, cigarettes, gardening can all provide temporary relief. Whatever works.

will346

Lurker
Nov 30, 2015
Thanks for the positive responses guys. I hope to enjoy my pipes for many years to come, hankering after a meerschaum lined Vauen, so maybe I'll get myself a Christmas present for a change!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
@clickclick: I remember this article, but I can't recall which issue (and search is lousy with my PDF copies). I can post if you give me the date of the article.
I wrote an article for naspc about this. I'll post it when I get on my computer.
I suspect many pipe smokers have some OCD tendencies, myself included. I believe the pipe does help keep me in relaxation zone where otherwise, I'd be preoccupied.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Nicotine is a sedative, it is beneficial in the treatment of anxiety, specifically. The following comes from study by the NIH:
tl:dr nicotine will help you chill and make you a more effective worker.
This highly selected review of nicotine and the smoking habit reveals that nicotine does have positive effects. Nicotine releases hormones which reduce fatigue and acts on the central nervous system to produce more efficient processing of information. The increased efficiency produced by nicotine enables both smokers and nonsmokers to perform better in work situations. In addition, nicotine has a sedative action reducing anxiety and anger. Smokers titrate their nicotine intake so that they obtain the appropriate dose of nicotine for these kind of effects. The pharmacokinetic properties of nicotine make smoking doses remarkably safe for normal healthy adults in comparison with other available stimulant and sedative substances and so there is a high benefit-risk ratio for nicotine versus other comparable agents.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I think the whole process of prepping to smoking not only helps me relax but helps my blood pressure. Although I'm sure the nicotine itself pushes it back up some.

oldreddog

Sep 4, 2014
Howya Will,I'm a dub.

I would agree that pipe smoking has a soothing effect. Happy piping :)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I took up my pipe again when my wife was in rehab after hip surgery, as a way to bring my focus back to the present and my surroundings (like the porch at night). I think this is part of a range of self-help measures, like diet, medical monitoring, sleep, and social support from family, friends, and community. People need to know when professional consultation is needed. But a pipe, in moderation, is certainly one way I sustain balance. Welcome aboard, will'; I've been to your beautiful country and city twice, the second time entirely in Dublin.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
"I suspect many pipe smokers have some OCD tendencies"
Not me. I have CDO. It's almost the same except in alphabetical order as it ought to be.
And I think the physiological similarity between sucking on a pipe or cigar and sucking on a breast plays some part in the stress-reduction mechanism. I feel that's an area we all need to study more in-depth.

Status
Not open for further replies.