PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

jbfrady

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 27, 2023
South Carolina
I know that title sounds quite dramatic but frankly, its true! I realize how self-pitiful this sounds but I don't have much in life that is worth living for and when I discovered pipe smoking two years ago, it lit up my world and was one of the few things that kept me going. Fast forward two years to today, and I have almost completely lost interest in the hobby/lifestyle. I have tried so many blends and different type of tobacco and it's all just boring and time consuming to me now. I really don't get anything out of it, both in the flavor and nicotine departments (or at least not enough flavor and nicotine to keep me coming back) and I find myself just getting antsy sitting out in the cold for 45 minutes while I puff away in the evenings. I want to love pipe smoking again and give myself something to wake up in the morning for but I just can't bring myself to enjoy it anymore. Any idea how I can rekindle my passion?
There's one important thing to note here: You didn't mention people. Depression is most symptomatic when lacking personal interaction; that's why you'll notice that depression ads always feature someone off in a dark hidey hole in the beginning, but with Drug X, look how happy they are now! To show happiness, the person ends up outdoors with family or friends or the like.

When you took up your pipe, it likely felt like grafting yourself into a wider community, or participating in a larger act. But forums and solo smokes can only go so far. They're good, but they're not the whole shebang.

Tolkien paints smoking as both a solo and a communal act, and for good reason. While they both involve a pipe, they're separate acts with separate purposes. My advice: if you want it to be special again, share it. Have a smoke with a friend or among friends. Share your thoughts and your tobacco at once. Being a human is much like quantum physics; both particle and wave. Being overly particulate causes depression, so it's likely time to wave a little.

Just my two cents and a fellow who's been well acquainted with depression in the past. Cheers.

P.S. I dig the "lit my life up" pun!

fishmansf

Can't Leave
Oct 29, 2022
PNW
There's one important thing to note here: You didn't mention people. Depression is most symptomatic when lacking personal interaction; that's why you'll notice that depression ads always feature someone off in a dark hidey hole in the beginning, but with Drug X, look how happy they are now! To show happiness, the person ends up outdoors with family or friends or the like.

When you took up your pipe, it likely felt like grafting yourself into a wider community, or participating in a larger act. But forums and solo smokes can only go so far. They're good, but they're not the whole shebang.

Tolkien paints smoking as both a solo and a communal act, and for good reason. While they both involve a pipe, they're separate acts with separate purposes. My advice: if you want it to be special again, share it. Have a smoke with a friend or among friends. Share your thoughts and your tobacco at once. Being a human is much like quantum physics; both particle and wave. Being overly particulate causes depression, so it's likely time to wave a little.

Just my two cents and a fellow who's been well acquainted with depression in the past. Cheers.

P.S. I dig the "lit my life up" pun!
Wow that’s incredibly wise! I’m a part of a pipe club but I haven’t been in a couple months. Plan on going this weekend!

jbfrady

Jul 27, 2023
South Carolina
I’m a part of a pipe club but I haven’t been in a couple months. Plan on going this weekend!
That's a great plan! When you go, bring (or purchase) a tin of tobacco you've never tried and offer to share it around. You'll be setting the stage for the experience you're already looking for already.

By the way, what I'm saying isn't wisdom; I'm just a stodgy introvert who's been graciously and painstakingly taught by my friends to pull my head out of my ass and experience life. I fought it, but thankfully they won.

Aug 11, 2023
I know that title sounds quite dramatic but frankly, its true! I realize how self-pitiful this sounds but I don't have much in life that is worth living for and when I discovered pipe smoking two years ago, it lit up my world and was one of the few things that kept me going. Fast forward two years to today, and I have almost completely lost interest in the hobby/lifestyle. I have tried so many blends and different type of tobacco and it's all just boring and time consuming to me now. I really don't get anything out of it, both in the flavor and nicotine departments (or at least not enough flavor and nicotine to keep me coming back) and I find myself just getting antsy sitting out in the cold for 45 minutes while I puff away in the evenings. I want to love pipe smoking again and give myself something to wake up in the morning for but I just can't bring myself to enjoy it anymore. Any idea how I can rekindle my passion?
💁🏾‍♂️I never got that experience. I just sort of think, enjoy the sunrise or even the wind in a winter storm watching embers fly. That lil cherry is mine 🔥🍒🔥 and I'm gonna keep it alive. Right to the last breath.

That said, have you tried related creative works? Have you ever considered staining, rusticating, or carving a pipe of your own?

That aside, have you tried painting something -not canvas but say a miniature? It's much easier than the former. It doesn't matter what. Anything'd do! If you see yourself becoming an old grognard perhaps something historical. Everyone supposedly moves towards or closer to historical as they get older. If you don't like historical, there's all manner of fantasy galore. If you like scifi and historical, BattleTech (Mechwarrior) has all types of models to paint highly affordable (like low as $25 for 4pack). Plus people love talking about different battles, and faction history. And... if you love scifi, know that nothing matters, and have money, you should consider Warhammer 40,000.

In the darkness a blind man is the best guide;
In an age of Madness look to the madman to show the way.
Only the insane have strength enough to prosper;
only those that prosper truly judge what is sane.

There are people that just paint the miniatures. There are people that just read novels. (And comics and graphic novels) There are people that just play the tabletop game. There are people who just play videogames. There are people who just like animations. There will certainly be people who will only watch the live action series produced by actor Henry Cavill. And there are certainly people who do mixes of any two, or all of them.

Reactions: VDL_Piper

fishmansf

Can't Leave
Oct 29, 2022
PNW
Hey, so along with all the advice I've seen given, something jumped out to me. "Fishman" just automatically lead me to assume like rod and reel. Is that close? If so, it might be a good time to call up some buddies and go wet a line.
I am! Ironically, my last name is Fisher as well. I think that might be a good idea though in my area, we just hit the "no good" season where most of our river fish have spawned...

fishmansf

Can't Leave
Oct 29, 2022
PNW
💁🏾‍♂️I never got that experience. I just sort of think, enjoy the sunrise or even the wind in a winter storm watching embers fly. That lil cherry is mine 🔥🍒🔥 and I'm gonna keep it alive. Right to the last breath.

That said, have you tried related creative works? Have you ever considered staining, rusticating, or carving a pipe of your own?

That aside, have you tried painting something -not canvas but say a miniature? It's much easier than the former. It doesn't matter what. Anything'd do! If you see yourself becoming an old grognard perhaps something historical. Everyone supposedly moves towards or closer to historical as they get older. If you don't like historical, there's all manner of fantasy galore. If you like scifi and historical, BattleTech (Mechwarrior) has all types of models to paint highly affordable (like low as $25 for 4pack). Plus people love talking about different battles, and faction history. And... if you love scifi, know that nothing matters, and have money, you should consider Warhammer 40,000.

In the darkness a blind man is the best guide;
In an age of Madness look to the madman to show the way.
Only the insane have strength enough to prosper;
only those that prosper truly judge what is sane.

There are people that just paint the miniatures. There are people that just read novels. (And comics and graphic novels) There are people that just play the tabletop game. There are people who just play videogames. There are people who just like animations. There will certainly be people who will only watch the live action series produced by actor Henry Cavill. And there are certainly people who do mixes of any two, or all of them.
Creating my own pipe actually is a great idea. One thing I still greatly admire about the pipe is its history, culture and art. Also a great love of tobacco and nicotine in general. Maybe that could tune me back in, or perhaps even attempting to grow my own crop.

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
It seems like a drop in mind, I agree with Sable. When I'm in a low mood, stressed, sad, I don't smoke anything, I don't even feel like a good distillate. Then, when the storm passes, I am anxious and happy to return to my tobacco corner. And I enjoy it like the first day. As my colleagues here say so well, take a break. Take the path of reflection, observation, contemplation of pleasant things. I wish you the best, my friend. And lots of encouragement.

Alejo R.

Oct 13, 2020
Buenos Aires, Argentina.
Depression is like any other illness. Nothing to be ashamed of and it doesn't heal on its own. Just seek the help of a professional. You are a worthwhile person.
Even if you can't find a reason right now, that doesn't mean there isn't one, it just means you can't focus on it, for reasons of how our mind works. Plus , you are surely a reason for people who care about you.