PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I know that its possible and probable. My old man almost took his life when I was 12 because of his depression and anxiety. Very likely that I have that genetic trait.
Please do talk with your doctor
I have a few close mates and I find it very helpful spending time in their company.
I hope this is a just brief hiccup in your life.

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
Even when I'm not getting a lot of flavor and/or nicotine out of a bowl, I almost always find something to enjoy about it.

Agree with others that the OP needs to talk to someone more qualified... there's no shame in counselling, really. It can help anyone feel better and get more out of life, even if one thinks things are already going pretty well. 👍

VDL_Piper

Lifer
Jun 4, 2021
Tasmania, Australia
In my experience my friend you have depression and need to seek help. I lost a very dear friend and fellow farmer this year who, like you lost interest in everything. The signs were there but as his mates we didn't address his needs or thought "he'll be right"............well he slipped through our fingers and broke our hearts. Don't let this slide, get to your GP asap and work from there or pick up the phone and don't let the black dog in please. A simple thing that helps is to walk around on the grass and soil without your shoes and socks on, grounds you and stimulates you and causes you to reconnect.

If I was close I would be there today and share a bowl with you.

Be kind to yourself, it would be great to see you post here more often too as there is a great brotherhood here.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
I know that its possible and probable. My old man almost took his life when I was 12 because of his depression and anxiety. Very likely that I have that genetic trait.
Could be generic, could be a thousand & one things. Like a few of the boys have said, you've got depression mate. A lot of us go through it & most of us (needlessly) keep it to ourselves. Has pipe smoking become more of an addiction than an enjoyment? You're not alone there, I enjoyed my 2-3 pipes and one brand of tobacco just as much as all the different blends & pipes I've tried since. Leave the pipe alone for a while, exercise a bit, talk to someone. If that doesn't work, talk to a doctor. Didn't work for me, I threw the medication away & tried to work things out my own way.... Still trying, as many of us are. Pipes and tobacco will always be here, just make sure you are to enjoy them. Life beats the best of us down, fight back & stand up for yourself! If all else fails, buy a falcon and some St. Bruno.... Works for me! Good luck to you mate. 👍

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Modern society sorta keep people from communicating with other people face to face. If you have friends or family you care about, go visit them and talk. Back when I was growing up S. Korea, people never talked about things like depression or anxiety. They would go out drink with friends and just put it aside. And being a Korean myself, I did the same. But as I grow older, and having kids that sort of outing with friends were not practical. Developed depression and anxiety. Thankfully, medications are helping me. When you feel hopeless or start losing interest in life, go talk to people you care about. If not, find a shrink you can talk to. And pick up new hobby! Take your mind off thing you have no interest, or no control over. Do things you can finish and simple things you have total control over. Seeing a doctor could definitely help.

fishmansf

Can't Leave
Oct 29, 2022
PNW
In my experience my friend you have depression and need to seek help. I lost a very dear friend and fellow farmer this year who, like you lost interest in everything. The signs were there but as his mates we didn't address his needs or thought "he'll be right"............well he slipped through our fingers and broke our hearts. Don't let this slide, get to your GP asap and work from there or pick up the phone and don't let the black dog in please. A simple thing that helps is to walk around on the grass and soil without your shoes and socks on, grounds you and stimulates you and causes you to reconnect.

If I was close I would be there today and share a bowl with you.

Be kind to yourself, it would be great to see you post here more often too as there is a great brotherhood here.
I really appreciate this man, your offer means more than you know! I’ve found that doing as you mentioned certainly does help in grounding you. Cheers!

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Weren’t you recently so addicted to snus that you were contemplating if it was more important than your wife? Did you sort that addiction out?
Based on the OP's various posts about the aforementioned issues and repeated health concerns, I would strongly renew my (and other members') suggestions of seeing a doctor, therapist, and/or counselor.

Reaching out on a public forum is the first step in acknowledging an issue. Time for the second step and call or email someone that is licensed (and may sessions can be done remotely). Www.betterhelp.com may be a start.

I wish the OP the best on his journey and hope we hear him tell how this part of the journey resolves.

fishmansf

Can't Leave
Oct 29, 2022
PNW
Could be generic, could be a thousand & one things. Like a few of the boys have said, you've got depression mate. A lot of us go through it & most of us (needlessly) keep it to ourselves. Has pipe smoking become more of an addiction than an enjoyment? You're not alone there, I enjoyed my 2-3 pipes and one brand of tobacco just as much as all the different blends & pipes I've tried since. Leave the pipe alone for a while, exercise a bit, talk to someone. If that doesn't work, talk to a doctor. Didn't work for me, I threw the medication away & tried to work things out my own way.... Still trying, as many of us are. Pipes and tobacco will always be here, just make sure you are to enjoy them. Life beats the best of us down, fight back & stand up for yourself! If all else fails, buy a falcon and some St. Bruno.... Works for me! Good luck to you mate. 👍
Thanks! I’m definitely going through a season right now. But I was once really fit and frequently ran marathons but I have really let myself go. Getting back in shape will certainly help.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I go in and out of my hobbies frequently. I usually rotate my Google searches every month or two. One month I'm obsessed with pipes, the next it's pens. Then I see an ad with a great old vintage guitar on it, and I forget about all my pens for 2 months. Then weeks of playing guitar straight, gives me a hankering to write, and I look up a certain pen I heard about. Then I quit cigarettes, and stopped smoking my pipe for about a month, wondering if I would ever breathe normally again, and if it were the end of smoking anything at all, and I started dipping. Then 4 weeks of YouTube videos and Google searches about dip, I came across an old pipe website I used to frequent.

Etc etc.

Round and round.

Take a break. It may come back, if not you will be better off.

Ghosted Tamper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2023
South West, US
Yeah brother, this sounds like a case of depression. It would be one thing to not be interested in pipes/smoking, but the alarm bells ring when you say you don't have much to live for. That goes beyond a hobby/lifestyle disinterest and into a darkness that is ever-present for us all, whether we'd admit it, or not.

I've been through many a cycles of depression myself and most notably it has been worse during the winter months (less daylight hours, cold, dark days, body aches from the cold and overall lack of physical motivation, more seclusion and less personal contact to keep from the cold... ).

I'm not really sure what to suggest, as being in that situation, nothing that is suggested sounds remotely enticing. I will say that time is the great "un-doer", in that it will take time, no matter what you do, to overcome these dark times. Just know that there is light at the end of the tunnel brother. I'm sure there is plenty to hang on to, whether it's on the forefront of your mind at the minute, or not.

Best of luck and well wishes to you.

Scottishgaucho

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2020
Buenos Aires Province.
Thanks all for your meaningful comments. I think I will take a break and try something else for some time to keep me occupied and see if a break will fix things. If not, be checking the Tobacco/Pipe For Sale threads lol
I first started smoking the pipe when I was aged 15 I'm now 67. During those 52 years I've had many spells, some lasting years, when I didn't smoke the pipe. I've also known other pipe smokers who have done the same. It's normal when other things take priority....for me it was other interests or just life, especially women!! 😁
So it's not unusual to lose interest in pipe smoking. I'm glad I've always returned to it but it'd be no big deal if I didn't.
I didn't give up smoking altogether though as I'd always smoke cigarettes or cigars instead.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I know that title sounds quite dramatic but frankly, its true! I realize how self-pitiful this sounds but I don't have much in life that is worth living for and when I discovered pipe smoking two years ago, it lit up my world and was one of the few things that kept me going. Fast forward two years to today, and I have almost completely lost interest in the hobby/lifestyle. I have tried so many blends and different type of tobacco and it's all just boring and time consuming to me now. I really don't get anything out of it, both in the flavor and nicotine departments (or at least not enough flavor and nicotine to keep me coming back) and I find myself just getting antsy sitting out in the cold for 45 minutes while I puff away in the evenings. I want to love pipe smoking again and give myself something to wake up in the morning for but I just can't bring myself to enjoy it anymore. Any idea how I can rekindle my passion?
Have you tried role playing? Dressing up? Maybe being a little bit more spontaneous?

Reactions: HawkeyeLinus