PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

fishmansf

Can't Leave
Oct 29, 2022
PNW
I know that title sounds quite dramatic but frankly, its true! I realize how self-pitiful this sounds but I don't have much in life that is worth living for and when I discovered pipe smoking two years ago, it lit up my world and was one of the few things that kept me going. Fast forward two years to today, and I have almost completely lost interest in the hobby/lifestyle. I have tried so many blends and different type of tobacco and it's all just boring and time consuming to me now. I really don't get anything out of it, both in the flavor and nicotine departments (or at least not enough flavor and nicotine to keep me coming back) and I find myself just getting antsy sitting out in the cold for 45 minutes while I puff away in the evenings. I want to love pipe smoking again and give myself something to wake up in the morning for but I just can't bring myself to enjoy it anymore. Any idea how I can rekindle my passion?

Scottmi

Lifer
Oct 15, 2022
Orcas, WA
No worries, man. Been there. Tried the pipe and picked up a few 35 years ago, then put it aside. You're right, it does take some time and attention. Doesn't need to be a lifestyle. Box it up (save your tobacco!) and you'll likely decide to pick it up to try again sometime. Good for you, either way!

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
From your opening statement, depression sounds like a factor. One of its key symptoms is an increased disinterest in what being alive has to offer.

Seeking out pleasures doesn't affect root causes for long, though it may help for the short term.

Put aside the "self-pitiful" self criticism and give yourself a break. It's not like having depression is unique, nor is it shameful except to emotional cowards and to idiots.

If you're not feeling the pleasures of pipe smoking you're not going to be able to force yourself to feel it. But, maybe engaging in some positive actions on your behalf may revive your interest, if not in this, in other things that you have let go.

Good luck.

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
Almost all of my friends (and myself) have or are finding themselves less interested in their interests as of late.
The incessant inundation of fkery on all fronts since late February 2020 is taking its toll, and few are exempt.

That said, the boy person you have to make happy is you.
Set aside, or step away-whichever makes you feel good.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Usually when people lose interest in something they enjoyed, they move on to something else. The fact that you are focused on your loss of interest suggests, as sable brush says, that depression is a factor. No harm in going in for a maintenance stop with a counselor who can quickly sort this out. Usually depression is mild and temporary, but it can be life threatening, so it bears paying attention to.

fishmansf

Can't Leave
Oct 29, 2022
PNW
As someone who’s been there, it sounds like you have depression. I’d suggest going to see a therapist and putting the pipes and tobacco on pause for now. All of my favorite relationships and things seemed unsatisfying until I addressed the depression.
I know that its possible and probable. My old man almost took his life when I was 12 because of his depression and anxiety. Very likely that I have that genetic trait.