PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia
Cigars definitely are worse for me as well. Unfortunately I can't attribute it to any one pipe or tobacco type. However cigars and latakia induce the onset of my inflammation faster than aromatic or virginia blends of tobacco. I go to great lengths to keep it out of my eyes, but if one stray puff of smoke goes the direction of my eyes I can effectively count on the slow but sure march of irritation afflicting me if I do not immediately cease smoking for a few days. I would say without a doubt this is an underlying condition, because no one else i know is so sensitive. Perhaps ill grin and bear it until I get to my dermatologist or doctor. It doesn't seem like something thats in my eye specifically, moreso the margins of the eye. Which then causes irritation withinh the eye itself as well!
Oh hell, you know how it works when you go to the doctor/ dentist? They start out asking what the issue is, you tell them I have an ingrown hair on my ass, chipped a tooth on an olive pit, cut my hand with a chain saw. They then look at your records and say “hmmm.......says here you are a tobacco user? Well quit!” :ROFLMAO:
Man after that, they don’t even want to talk to you anymore about what’s physically wrong with you. I’ve even seen them bill my insurance for a “smoking cessation kit” and we didn’t even get to the bottom of why I was there in the first place!

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Oh hell, you know how it works when you go to the doctor/ dentist? They start out asking what the issue is, you tell them I have an ingrown hair on my ass, chipped a tooth on an olive pit, cut my hand with a chain saw. They then look at your records and say “hmmm.......says here you are a tobacco user? Well quit!” :ROFLMAO:
Man after that, they don’t even want to talk to you anymore about what’s physically wrong with you. I’ve even seen them bill my insurance for a “smoking cessation kit” and we didn’t even get to the bottom of why I was there in the first place!
Yes, indeed. You can't get those fellows to give you objective answers anymore. That's why on my last visit I checked 'Former User' in the tobacco use field. I heard no lecturing and no blaming of my dental issues on tobacco.

Not really lying: a tobacco user being defined as "someone who uses tobacco 5 or more times a week", my Sunday bowl and occasional bowl(s) during the week keep me in the non-user category.

alexnc

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
Only gonna be funny if the neighbors take pics and post em on social media:ROFLMAO:
So, once I did this, but without the goggles. Fill a half gallon empty bourbon bottle with iced tea, clean a weapon on the patio - gun is essential. Swill hungrily from the bottle, play something like Tool. A fake nervous tick might be nice. The goggles will fix your problem. The rest will fix the neighbors.

Reactions: LOREN and kurtbob

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Church wardens still require me to blow smoke from my mouth. Which is the biggest source of irritation :(
Blow the smoke out harder to get it off your face area. Blow air afterwards to push it away.

Frankly, if your eyes are so sensitive to smoke you'll just have to live with it or forego smoking altogether. Only you can balance the annoyance/risk versus the benefits here.

Another thing, possibly, if you spend a lot of time staring at a monitor or gadget screen you're having dry eye issues, which might be complicating the irritiation, or may even be the main cause behind such sensitivity to irritants. If so, tone down the time you spend on such devices, take breaks every 20 min or so during which you force yourself to blink constantly, or use moisturising drops.

Reactions: kurtbob

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Funny, as in odd timing. For the first time I experienced real eye irritation while smoking, BUT: The ambient air was rotten- Over 200. And I was walking with a light breeze behind me, so the smoke came with me. The irritation went away in a couple of minutes and all was well. I was at altitude, (6200') also, if that could be a factor.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Hello fellas! After a few weeks smoking a bowl everyday consecutively my eyes have started to feel inflammed. Now this has happened before and it seems if I go a few weeks without smoking it resets and gives me some breathing room. Does anyone else have this happen to them? Not ideal as for me one of life's great joys is a pipesmoke after work under the glistening night sky. Anyone have similar problems? Did you find a solution? Thanks!
allergies?

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia
So, once I did this, but without the goggles. Fill a half gallon empty bourbon bottle with iced tea, clean a weapon on the patio - gun is essential. Swill hungrily from the bottle, play something like Tool. A fake nervous tick might be nice. The goggles will fix your problem. The rest will fix the neighbors.
Atta boy, that’s what I’m talking about!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
@Sethology

Practice producing wisps instead of clouds. If my wife didn't know I was smoking, she would think I was just chewing on a pipe. She hasn't figured it out yet and is still producing billowing smoke with her pipes. Drives her crazy.?