PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Sethology

Lurker
Jan 5, 2020
Hello fellas! After a few weeks smoking a bowl everyday consecutively my eyes have started to feel inflammed. Now this has happened before and it seems if I go a few weeks without smoking it resets and gives me some breathing room. Does anyone else have this happen to them? Not ideal as for me one of life's great joys is a pipesmoke after work under the glistening night sky. Anyone have similar problems? Did you find a solution? Thanks!

Reactions: BROBS

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Hello fellas! After a few weeks smoking a bowl everyday consecutively my eyes have started to feel inflammed. Now this has happened before and it seems if I go a few weeks without smoking it resets and gives me some breathing room. Does anyone else have this happen to them? Not ideal as for me one of life's great joys is a pipesmoke after work under the glistening night sky. Anyone have similar problems? Did you find a solution? Thanks!
Yep get a longer pipe.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Never experienced this before, other than just a brief stinging if smoke gets in my eyes, but it’s a rare occurrence. I have noticed that Perique monsters burn a little more than others ?
It’s not something that gives me residual issues. Other than a longer pipe, as others suggested, I’ve got nothing. ?‍♂️

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
Once ye go Embers, ye always remembers.

View attachment 42348

I love my new phone.
I'm more than a little disturbed by the placement of the Skull Meerschaum in this selfie. (It is a selfie, right?)

As for the topic at hand, I occasionally experience this, but only when I've been smoking one of my two shorter pipes while driving. I think for me, being in a confined space with the breeze from an open window is what causes it.

HitchensDog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 22, 2020
Omaha, Nebraska, USA
I used to get eye irritation from an oom paul I owned. The smoke was always in my eyes with that pipe. I ended up giving it to a friend. It was really the only pipe that I had those kind of issues.

Reactions: kurtbob

mordy18

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2019
Northern New Jersey
I've gotten occasional eye irritation from both pipe and cigar smoking. Shorter pipes definitely are more of a problem and one of the worst cases was from a cigar. I'm now more cautious about keeping the smoke out of my face. A few drops of refresh eye drops solved the problem.

Sethology

Lurker
Jan 5, 2020
I've gotten occasional eye irritation from both pipe and cigar smoking. Shorter pipes definitely are more of a problem and one of the worst cases was from a cigar. I'm now more cautious about keeping the smoke out of my face. A few drops of refresh eye drops solved the problem.
Cigars definitely are worse for me as well. Unfortunately I can't attribute it to any one pipe or tobacco type. However cigars and latakia induce the onset of my inflammation faster than aromatic or virginia blends of tobacco. I go to great lengths to keep it out of my eyes, but if one stray puff of smoke goes the direction of my eyes I can effectively count on the slow but sure march of irritation afflicting me if I do not immediately cease smoking for a few days. I would say without a doubt this is an underlying condition, because no one else i know is so sensitive. Perhaps ill grin and bear it until I get to my dermatologist or doctor. It doesn't seem like something thats in my eye specifically, moreso the margins of the eye. Which then causes irritation withinh the eye itself as well!